Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 2007 macbook pro white dots on screen

2007 macbook pro white dots on screen
jay3ld
Senior User
Feb 7, 2011, 09:14 PM

Hello,

I just recently noticed that near the bottom right of my screen are a few spots that are whiter than the rest of the screen. Its not dirt or anything. Searches from around the web show others have experienced this issue. However my warranty expired a few months ago and I am not up to the replacement costs to fix them.

Is it possible to remove these? I can provide a picture if needed, but not sure how helpful it would be.
You shouldn't make fun of nerds... you'll be working for one some day.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2011, 07:12 AM

Its usually a new LCD panel to fix white spots.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

jay3ld  (op)
Senior User
Feb 8, 2011, 08:07 PM

That is what I was afraid of.. I just don't have 700 some odd dollars to hand out for a new screen.

Thanks for your response anyways

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2011, 08:36 PM

I had the same problem and the fix was a new LCD under warranty. This is a common defect with Apple portable LCDs of the vintage you own.

I suggest calling Apple and see what they can do for you. I doubt that they will replace an LCD out of warranty for what is basically a cosmetic defect (I haven't heard of LCDs with white spots ultimately failing because of the defect...). But you might be able to obtain credit toward the purchase of Apple hardware sometime in the future.

My motto is "If you don't ask, you don't get." If you are a long-time Apple customer be sure to mention it. Listen to what the Apple rep tells you before you suggest a credit. You may need to request a transfer to level 2 customer support or a supervisor. Be sure to be polite and friendly with the people you speak to; they are only Apple employees so they do not make the rules. But they do have a remarkable amount of leeway when it comes to making these kinds of decisions. It's amazing how many times this has worked for me.

Be sure to let us know how it turns out for you.

jay3ld  (op)
Senior User
Feb 11, 2011, 08:49 PM

I will try that, thanks
I am a very long time user of Apple products. Used Apple II when I was a kid I still remember the beeps and boops it would make when starting up.

Although it is fairly late on a Friday, I guess I should wait for Monday so I don't get somebody who is grumpy about working the weekend

jay3ld  (op)
Senior User
Feb 13, 2011, 12:20 AM

Well. I guess I will be contacting Apple for sure. My screen went black and I can't get nothing on it. I can't even get video by plugging in a cable and hooking it up to my dell monitor. Too bad I didn't have screen sharing enabled or I could try another mac to connect to it (going to search if I can enable that via command line).
The computer does come on and I can ping its address, just no video

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues
My laptop falls under that same video card and production dates, so I am hoping that I can get it replaced even though my laptop is out of warranty

Added:
Was able to find a hint on how to enable screen sharing via command line. Was able to enable it. Used another mac and I could see my desktop just fine. So at least I can get my mail and plug in my time machine disk to get a backup.
( Last edited by jay3ld; Feb 13, 2011 at 12:54 AM. Reason: added screen sharing note)

Forum Links
Forum Rules