Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Revised Powerbooks on the Way

Revised Powerbooks on the Way
pathman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2002, 02:05 PM

http://www.macosrumors.com/ report that speed-bumped and, possibly, revised enclosure, Powerbooks are on their way in a matter of weeks.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2002, 02:48 PM

yeah, I just read that not long ago. sounds pretty sweet. hopefully--provided the info is spot-on--the superdrive option won't be crazy expensive.

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2002, 03:24 PM

The problem is that I don't recall MacOSRumors ever predicting something right except when ZDNet and other prominent websites announcing it beforehand.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2002, 03:45 PM

The new PowerBooks are not going to have a 167-megahertz bus clock. I know that for certain.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2002, 04:43 PM

It talks on there about a new widescreen iBook with a 1152x870 resolution... heh, yeah, widescreen. Whatever...

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2002, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
The new PowerBooks are not going to have a 167-megahertz bus clock. I know that for certain.
Do you have some hard info to help you come to this conclusion or are you just speculating as well?
Backup your Backup

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2002, 07:01 PM

Hard info.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2002, 08:40 PM

bah stupid university only just got a powerbook guess i couldnt have waited tho, hope they dont I relaly see no reason for them I can't imagine an os going faster than this has (heck its faster than win98 on my old p2 300 hehe which should have been extremely fast at the time ) ahh well it runs everything I need much faster than that pc so im pleased

k2director
Senior User
Sep 15, 2002, 04:11 AM

Assuming the rumors are accurate (big assumption), I'd be disappointed to see no built-in Bluetooth.

Will definitely require that before buying my next Book....that little Dlink doohickey just doesn't cut it.

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2002, 05:27 AM

Hey seanyperez for a month or so I'm reading from you that you have some info on the powerbooks.
Share your info with us.The info that will not reveal your source ofcourse.
We're waiting....

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2002, 07:49 PM

Hard info.
Just on the bus speed or on the whole deal?
Backup your Backup

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2002, 09:31 PM

Hard info dictating to me that it's impossible to see a PowerBook with a 166-megahertz bus clock in the near future because the market doesn't have 166-megahertz DDR memory out yet.

We'll leave it at that.

nana4
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2002, 10:13 AM

Surely a more pressing problem would be the lack of PPC CPUs that are capable of using DDR (rather than the half assed implementation in current towers and XServe).

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2002, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by pathman:
http://www.macosrumors.com/ report that speed-bumped and, possibly, revised enclosure, Powerbooks are on their way in a matter of weeks.
Considering that the Apple Store for Education features additional price cuts on PowerBooks until September 25, all of the above would not surprise me "in a matter of weeks", on or about September 26.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

I Have Questions
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2002, 03:34 PM

Hard info dictating to me that it's impossible to see a PowerBook with a 166-megahertz bus clock in the near future because the market doesn't have 166-megahertz DDR memory out yet.

We'll leave it at that.
Well, why didn't you just go ahead and say that you have hard info that the new PB will use DDR?

Thanks for the heads up!

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2002, 04:07 PM

bus speed and ddr speed are different... the bus speed on the current PMs is 167.... fact that it writes to ram twice per clock cycle is where the 333 figure comes from... so technically yes it could happen but once again with out a new processor... it would be useless

phang

jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2002, 11:19 PM

Gosh, if there ever was a computer with more revision and upgrade rumors than the powerbook someone let me know. Ha! Well, I hope that apple clears up a few issues that the current line has .... mainly the paint chipping..... the superdrive would be nice but I do wonder about the cost..... Also, for you powerbook veterans how long does it take apple to upgrade this line????????????

never mistake activity for action

68k33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2002, 04:56 AM

Without a revision of the processor, that is shrinking and support for true DDR-RAM FSB, all intermediate book-updates are cosmetic and for those just having bought a TiBook DVI (revision C) not very feasable.

Sorry, but all MacOS-Rumors are belong to trash.

Besides, you know that DDR is the german abbreviation for "German Democratic Republic". So 5 always have to smile when talking about a "DDR-Frontsidebus" or alike......

nana4
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2002, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
bus speed and ddr speed are different... the bus speed on the current PMs is 167.... fact that it writes to ram twice per clock cycle is where the 333 figure comes from... so technically yes it could happen but once again with out a new processor... it would be useless
The top two PMs have a 167MHz FSB, the dual 867 is on 133MHz. The CPUs talk to the system controller on a non-DDR bus. Only the system controller talks to the RAM using DDR. Really defeats the whole purpose of DDR. But I guess for those sucked in by the "faster than light" gibberish on the Apple.com pages, it sounds impressive.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 17, 2002, 03:59 PM

We'll leave it at that.
Nonsense, sean.

PC2700 is 167MHz (166 and 167 MHz are both used to refer to 166.66666666666667 MHz) DDR memory. You can buy it now. They use it in some of the latest Power Macs.

Now, what is true is that as far as I can tell, PC2700 SODIMMs aren't out yet.

tooki

Surfer
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2002, 07:21 PM

Well, there have been many rumors popping up here and there lately... I desperately need a new PB and would love to have a 1GHz Ti! Lets hope the rumors are true...

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2002, 08:02 PM

I don't know if it's a hard info or not but no powerbook yet. Since the person I know who works for Apple doesn't work in hardware department, he doesn't know any great details and he doesn't tell me much. He works in software department and he regularly tests hardware compatibility. Anyway, this person thought getting a 800 model in Sept wasn't a bad idea so I doubt that there will be a new model in Sept. or October. May in Nov. before X-Mas sales season (like last year). But patience never hurts.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2002, 09:36 PM

So know one really knows I guess? I'm looking to get one, probably the 667 as i won't use it very often and can't justofy the 800 but i don't want to get one now if in 2-3 weeks the 800 will be the bottom model at the current 667 price. Also, a newbie to computers friend of mine wants to get his first computer/first mac powerbook with iPod and Airport and i told him to wait a bit. Is there a promo ending soon or something else I can use to justify my wait?
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2002, 10:07 PM

If you want to be nitpicky about it, that's your prerogative. Even PC-3500 DDR-SDRAM for desktops is at-market...

Quite frankly, I'm offended that you'd try to downplay a response with your "nonsense" comment. I didn't appreciate it. I don't think anybody needed to hear it. If you want to make a correction, feel free (as you have), but I'm sensing a very condescending, negative attitude from you as of late.

I have respect for you as a person, and I have respect for your help here. However, there's no reason to be even remotely hostile or, to reuse a word, condescending about anything. If you want to assert your presence and superiority here, post more often and with more tact...

I just feel like you're sticking up your nose to me. That's all.

Originally posted by tooki:

Nonsense, sean.

PC2700 is 167MHz (166 and 167 MHz are both used to refer to 166.66666666666667 MHz) DDR memory. You can buy it now. They use it in some of the latest Power Macs.

tooki
( Last edited by seanyepez; Sep 18, 2002 at 02:13 AM. )

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2002, 10:12 PM

What's tooki fretting about?

S/he never posts here and then BOOM!

BTW: The CORRECT way to round that off IS 167mhz.

Sorry.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2002, 10:20 PM

Meh. Regarding the question about sharing what I know, I don't need to explain myself. I can't share anything more than I already have.
( Last edited by seanyepez; Sep 17, 2002 at 10:40 PM. )

I Have Questions
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2002, 08:05 PM

Meh. Regarding the question about sharing what I know, I don't need to explain myself. I can't share anything more than I already have.
I realize that. I got all the info I needed from your post... Re-read my comment (including the similey) and I think you'll understand...

nana4
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2002, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by tooki:

Nonsense, sean.

tooki
I think it's quite clear to anyone with a rudimentary grasp of the English language that sean was referring to laptop PC2700.

PowerMac2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2002, 04:25 PM

Quite frankly, I'm offended that you'd try to downplay a response with your "nonsense" comment. I didn't appreciate it. I don't think anybody needed to hear it. If you want to make a correction, feel free (as you have), but I'm sensing a very condescending, negative attitude from you as of late.
I thought Tooki's comments were rude too but I think he may have just misunderstood the context that you were referring to SO DIMM's. Of course, shouldn't moderators be held to a higher standard of conduct? Respectable thing to do would be to apologize.

From your Pleasanton, CA location it sounds like you're close to Apple and may know something. Are you sure you won't reconsider sharing any additional info you may have? Pretty please?

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2002, 06:22 PM

Whoa, alot of think skin in here. Grab a crying towel for christ's sake... if that's the worst thing someone says to you today, you're laughing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules