Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > DVI vs VGA monitors?

DVI vs VGA monitors?
michaelsmp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2002, 01:59 PM

What are the real differences bewteen DVI and VGA monitors? Which one is better?

euphras
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 02:17 PM

DVI is (according to my knowledge) better because the digital signal is used to generate the screen pic.. VGA means the digital signal is transformed into an analog one and basically...if you transform a signal you get loss of quality.

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

CatOne
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by michaelsmp:
What are the real differences bewteen DVI and VGA monitors? Which one is better?
DVI, by MILES and MILES.

If you are using an LCD, get DVI (or ADC). It is WAY clearer.

If you use VGA and an LCD, the signal must be translated from digital to analog (to go onto the wire) and then back from analog to digital (for display on the LCD panel). You have to worry about synch, etc. With DVI, it's sent digitally (make pixel #443,107 color 255, 183, 7). It's crystal clear.

The difference between the two is easily noticeable. If you're using LCD, use a digital connection, PERIOD. And don't buy a new LCD that doesn't support digital input.

My views aren't that strong on this, you see ;-) But I had my LCD running on VGA for a week while I waited for the DVI cable. When I swapped it over -- hoo-mama!

CatOne
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 03:44 PM

Oh and p.s. a CRT monitor is gonna be VGA (always) ;-)

nana4
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2002, 07:15 PM

DVI with LCD = Perfect convergence.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 20, 2002, 12:02 AM

This is not a PowerBook question!
Moving to Peripherals...

tooki

P.S. There are DVI CRT monitors (including models that use the digital signal, and only convert it to digital inside the monitor, to preserve quality).

Jaspero1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2002, 04:56 PM

The reason the DVI is better other than the quality it doesn't have to go through a RAMDAC (RAM digital-to-analog converter) the fastest RAMDAC is on the Radeon 9500 at 600MHz. With DVI no RAMDAC necessary.

nana4
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2002, 08:19 PM

I believe that is 400MHz. Yes the major benefit of DVI is that there is no unnecessary digital->analog and analog->digital conversion. It's digital from start to finish.

Forum Links
Forum Rules