Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Lexus IS 300

Lexus IS 300
milenko11
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2002, 12:42 PM

Does anyone have one of these? I'm seriously considering getting one. I test drove it and loved it, but I also liked the Mercedes Kompressor. Anyone have an opinion?

kovacs
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 01:07 PM

My mom is getting an lexus IS200 in a few weeks, not a fast but not bad either. I am more of a BMW kind a guy. But you can't go wrong with the lexus IS300, the salesman compared it with a Porsche, he also told me that he only sold a few since the introduction, Lexus is also one of the most reliable cars in the world, more exclusive than a mercedes or a bmw and more fun to drive, I would go for the Lexus....

Nimisys
Banned
Sep 19, 2002, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by kovacs:
My mom is getting an lexus IS200 in a few weeks, not a fast but not bad either. I am more of a BMW kind a guy. But you can't go wrong with the lexus IS300, the salesman compared it with a Porsche, he also told me that he only sold a few since the introduction, Lexus is also one of the most reliable cars in the world, more exclusive than a mercedes or a bmw and more fun to drive, I would go for the Lexus....
first off the handling of the is300, while nice is not comparable to a porsche, on the simplest of terms one is front engine front drive and the other is rear engine rear drive. the porsche has much better weight balance and has nuetral steering not the understeer of the lexus.

llexus is reliable, there security system is a bitch

and a rebadged leather interor 40000$ toyota (corolla) is no more exclusive than a bmw or mercedes

all that being said, it is a nice car, especcially if you perfer a sportier edge. what madel of mercedes with the kompressor engine are you also considering? if its any of the slk's i would go them.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 01:49 PM

it is just lexus trying to build a bmw... go german... much better engineering.... unless you like paying $30000 for a $15000 design

phang

kovacs
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 02:28 PM

I didn't say it drives like a porsche I only said that the salesman compared the IS300 with a Porsche, I don't know how it drives I have never driven a porsche or a lexus IS300, the Porsche probably has better handling though. Here in belgium the IS300 is certainly more exclusive than a BMW, I have never seen a lexus IS300 on the belgian roads, everybody drives a bmw 3 series mercedes c or audi A4. Lexus is probably more popular in America than in Europe.

Subzero Diesel949
Sep 19, 2002, 02:41 PM

These bad boys are nice...I think they run in the 13's on the 1/4 (correct me if I'm wrong).

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2002, 04:29 PM

[BHere in belgium the IS300 is certainly more exclusive than a BMW, I have never seen a lexus IS300 on the belgian roads, everybody drives a bmw 3 series mercedes c or audi A4. [/B]
There is no substitute for the Mercedes Benz. A souped up Toyota is fine, don't get me wrong, but it's just that. A Toyota.

Besides, it's natural for Europeans to snob more for German cars than Japanese. Even if they were about equally good, most Europeans would go for the European car.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

milenko11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2002, 04:44 PM

the IS is rear-wheel drive btw. i don't want a 3 series because everyone has one. If I wanted to spend all my money I would go with a 5 series over pretty much anything. But I like having extra money. I don't know how I feel about the exterior styling of the Kompressor. I love the front end but i'm not sure how I feel about the hatch. Thats holding me back and i'm a little hesitant about the supercharged 4 cylinder. I prefer the inline 6 that the IS has. Plus, I think the IS 300 has one of the sexiest body shapes of ANY car I've every seen. I like sporty looking sedans.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by milenko11:
the IS is rear-wheel drive btw. i don't want a 3 series because everyone has one. If I wanted to spend all my money I would go with a 5 series over pretty much anything. But I like having extra money. I don't know how I feel about the exterior styling of the Kompressor. I love the front end but i'm not sure how I feel about the hatch. Thats holding me back and i'm a little hesitant about the supercharged 4 cylinder. I prefer the inline 6 that the IS has. Plus, I think the IS 300 has one of the sexiest body shapes of ANY car I've every seen. I like sporty looking sedans.
Get the manual for sure though if you are going to get one. The Navi is nice, but it is not touch screen, but you'll get used to it.

Over all it is a very nice car. By the way, it is a lot sportier than a MB. But an 330i will still beat it in just about every thing though.

Save 10 grand and get the IS300, you won't regret it.

nana4
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2002, 07:47 PM

The IS300 has very good handling. It does extremely well in the annual Targa Tasmania, where it's handling and braking enable it to compete quite well with cars that have far more power. A 3 series BMW is a really common car. And once you've been to Germany and seen every single taxi is a Merc, the glory quickly fades.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2002, 03:02 AM

I've had my IS300 for just over 2 years. It's a great car when there is no snow. If you live in a warm climate, you can't go wrong. Lexus service is excellent as well.

I do feel I am growing out of it, though. Trunk space is fairly small, and i need to lug stuff around every once in a while. If a had an old junker pick-up truck as well, I'd be set.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2002, 03:29 AM

Lexus is also one of the most reliable cars in the world, more exclusive than a mercedes or a bmw and more fun to drive, I would go for the Lexus....
It's a good car, no doubt, but more exclusive than a Merc or BMW? Come on, where do you live? It's a souped up Toyota, nothing more, nothing less.

If you want something fun and exclusive maybe look at one of the new Jaguars?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2002, 03:30 AM

dp, sorry

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2002, 11:53 AM

Yes the IS is NICE. If you get it get it in the 5 speed though. I I was going to get one when I was looking for a new car but they didn't have the 5 speed when I was looking so I went with the Vdub. I got the GTI VR6
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Vanquish
Sep 20, 2002, 12:26 PM

By Kovacs
I have never seen a lexus IS300 on the belgian roads
Someone just around the corner here has one

By Milenko11:
Does anyone have one of these? I'm seriously considering getting one. I test drove it and loved it, but I also liked the Mercedes Kompressor. Anyone have an opinion?
Which "Kompressor would that be I count 15 Kompressor models in the Mercedes-Benz lineup ?

By Mastrap:
It's a good car, no doubt, but more exclusive than a Merc or BMW? Come on, where do you live? It's a souped up Toyota, nothing more, nothing less.

If you want something fun and exclusive maybe look at one of the new Jaguars?
Where I live the BMW 3-series, Merc C-class and Audi A4 are peasant cars, *everybody* has them. If you tell someone: "I drive a BMW 320d" they say to you: oh, yes that one... It's because all those cars are used as company cars (the d, CDI and TDI models (BMW, Merc and Audi respectively)). A Lexus IS is more exclusive because they have no diesel engines in their lineup.

The outside looks of the Lexus IS are nice, so are the engines but the interior is a digusting plastic japanese interior. But I would like one, just for the engine (but I'm looking at a GS 430 to add to my garage )

Ca$h68
Banned
Sep 20, 2002, 04:23 PM

Here are my thoughts: Its a toyota Corolla. :| Im not sure how much I'd pay for one because of that, but it IS a nice car. Especially since you can finally get a manual transmission. My only REAL complaint is the taillights. I know they were innovative a few years ago with the "Altezza" tails, but today it just looks like a riced out car, so I'm not sure how..eh... classy it is anymore. There's one around ehre with a 1ft aluminum wing on it. Blech.

- Ca$h

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 04:36 PM

get the GS 430... nice

300hp and Vtec (esentially) it drives/moves like a dream, im looking at the infinity G35 though right now... hopefully.... soon...

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2002, 04:39 PM

Someone said something about cheap plastic. YOu are right about that but the ergonomics of the car rock. Still love my Dub
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

spacedog
Sep 20, 2002, 05:47 PM

test drove one, ended up buying a used C36 AMG instead. the lexus felt very cramped, and the plastics and textures of the interior seemed incredibly cheap to me. disappointing for a $30k+ car.

plus, it's a toyota, and you can hardly throw a stone without hitting one of 'em. (at least in Omaha...)

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2002, 07:53 PM

One of my female friend got the black Lexus IS300 when it first introduced to the US market, it is not a bad car at all. I tried it before, but this car is kind of out-dated now. Why not get a Subaru WRX or the upcoming Lancer EVO VII(On my list). There are alot of choice at that price.

Kenneth

milenko11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2002, 09:41 PM

Vanquish, I'm from the US and there is only one Kompressor model over here. It's the C230. I'm not sure what else your counting as a Kompressor but there is only one with that name in it.

Vanquish
Sep 21, 2002, 06:29 AM

Vanquish, I'm from the US and there is only one Kompressor model over here. It's the C230. I'm not sure what else your counting as a Kompressor but there is only one with that name in it.
We have here:
-C180 Kompressor (Sportcoup�)
-C200 Kompressor (Sportcoup�)
-C230 Kompressor (Sportcoup�)
-C180 Kompressor
-C200 Kompressor
-C32 AMG Kompressor (ok, not really a "standard" model)
-C180 Kompressor (Break)
-C200 Kompressor (Break)
-C32 AMG Kompressor (Break) (ok, not really a "standard" model)
-CLK 200 Kompressor Cabriolet
-CLK 230 Kompressor Cabriolet
-E 200 Kompressor break
-SLK 200 Kompressor
-SLK 230 Kompressor
-SLK 32 AMG Kompressor (ok, not really a "standard" model again)

15 models

Forum Links
Forum Rules