Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > reuse qps firewire as scsi internal burner, possible?

reuse qps firewire as scsi internal burner, possible?
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2002, 12:55 PM

as I think something is wrong with the firewire bridge of my external qps firewire burner, I think about use it as an internal one to my Yosemite G3, the qps really is a scsi burner with a scsi-firewire bridge, don�t? really, all I need is an internal scsi card.

well, someone opened that beauty?

all focused to run with 10.2 of course.

TIA.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2002, 01:07 PM

I don't know if I'm totally clear on what you're asking. Are you saying you've got a SCSI burner in a FireWire case? If so, you're right about getting a SCSI card for your G3. That will work fine. Just make sure that the burner is actually SCSI, because most are IDE and not SCSI.
BTW, I hear some bad things about SCSI and OS X. I think it's with Adaptec cards. Hopefully someone who knows more about that will respond to your post.

Brad

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2002, 02:06 PM

hum... I really think that the qps is scsi, but if it is an ide, no problem, the Yosemite internal cdrom is ide, easier to me...

but to open the case... another history I think...

thanks for your reply

nana4
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2002, 07:03 PM

The QPS is almost certainly an IDE burner with an IDE->Firewire bridge board. There would be no point for QPS to use a costly SCSI burner, when they can use a cheaper IDE burner.

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2002, 02:25 PM

Sure you are right, I check the connector as far as I can without open by now the QPS case, with an IDE connector, and both are the same size, so these are good news for me, I don�t need a scsi card and any potential trouble with Mac OS X 10.2 are avoid, but by this, I need to know wath mechanic the burner is, maybe a plextor, but I need to open the case to know it and to use it... the QPS is a 8x4x32, I think there were two different mechanics.

Difficult replace the internal cd-rom drive in a Yosemite?

Thanks again for your time.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2002, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by angelmb:
Sure you are right, I check the connector as far as I can without open by now the QPS case, with an IDE connector, and both are the same size, so these are good news for me, I don�t need a scsi card and any potential trouble with Mac OS X 10.2 are avoid, but by this, I need to know wath mechanic the burner is, maybe a plextor, but I need to open the case to know it and to use it... the QPS is a 8x4x32, I think there were two different mechanics.

Difficult replace the internal cd-rom drive in a Yosemite?

Thanks again for your time.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were 2 (or more) different drive mechanisms used for your model. They like to do that (grr).

As for replacing your CD-ROM drive with your burner, it should be pretty straight forward. There is your power cable and data cable that connect to the back of the CD-ROM drive and likely some mounting screws that hold the drive in place. The data cable (wide skinny cable) should have a little tab on it's connector. I'll attempt some ASCII art to try and show you better:
Code:
__ ----------------| |----------------- |___________________________________|
There, that's what the cable should look like (somewhat.) Just make sure that little table aligns properly with the slot on your burner. That way you get the cable hooked up properly. Other than that, shouldn't be too difficult to switch drives. Just make sure that you once you open the side door that you touch something metal inside (like the power supply) to ground yourself. Some of the chips inside can be fried if you were to give them a shock.

Have fun!!

Brad

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2002, 01:55 PM

Thanks Brad, nice ASCII art you made!

Forum Links
Forum Rules