Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Just got digital TV. Blimey.

Just got digital TV. Blimey.
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2002, 03:41 AM

German TV is terrible. Awful. It really is, at least the vast majority of stuff.

So last time I was in London I bought myself a digital satellite system. Shipped it over here, plonked a mast on my roof and fitted the dish. Found the relevant satellite and hey presto, the BBC in Hamburg. Which is good.

What I didn't expect was all the, ahem, other stuff. I, ladies and gentlemen, am in the lucky position of having the choice of not just one, not just two but SEVEN shopping channels. All staffed by extremely enthusiastic people. Seriously, you could run a small city off the energy they radiate. And they all have perfect teeth. And, get this, they are experts on power juicers, on dimonique TM, on steam cleaners and on abdominal exercisers. They are srubbed, they are clean, they have minty fresh breath.

I will need to buy something, I can feel it

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2002, 03:49 AM

German TV is ingenious!

Go here www.elton.tv if you need some proof (or see the First Time Voters Check Part 1, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, and Last Part )
( Last edited by Developer; Sep 25, 2002 at 04:33 AM. )
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Siddhartha
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2002, 03:53 AM

What happened to Canada? Travel man, live our dream!

Mastrap  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2002, 04:02 AM

Originally posted by Siddhartha:
What happened to Canada? Travel man, live our dream!

I know, I know, I know.

I had to take a break from taking a break, honest I did. A couple of friends of mine started a new company and I got invited to join. A chance to good to miss, so there goes the sabatical. But we're doing fun work so I don't really mind.

nana4
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2002, 04:03 AM

Damn, I thought you were viewing 7 channels of hard core Europeon pRon!

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2002, 05:12 AM

Originally posted by nana4:
Damn, I thought you were viewing 7 channels of hard core Europeon pRon!
No this will be UK Digital satalite TV (Sky, owned by the same guy as Fox in the US). The Set top box is locked to the channels and you can only recive the UK originated channels. Not like with the pre-digital stuff, where there was a 'wide' choice of non UK programming available on the Astra satalite.

If you bought the set up in the UK then shiped it to Germany you should try and find someone in the uk you can use for a 'billing address' then you can subscribe to the Sky TV channels. It's all of dubious legality as channels only have the copyright to show the programs in the UK. I know people who take there sky smart card with them when they go to there places in Spain so they can still watch UK tv while they are on vacation

nana4
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2002, 05:42 AM

Well morally I see no problem, no matter where you are living, you are still paying Sky for the programming.

Thrax
Banned
Sep 25, 2002, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
I, ladies and gentlemen, am in the lucky position of having the choice of not just one, not just two but SEVEN shopping channels.
And here I am, living in a Chicago suburb, with analog cable, and I only get three shopping channels.

Forum Links
Forum Rules