Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tattoos

Tattoos
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2013, 03:04 PM

I want to get a new tattoo. I've wanted one for years really but never been struck by something I consider worth getting done.

Since I've not noticed the subject discussed here before, I thought it might make a half decent thread. What are other people's thoughts on tats?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2013, 03:13 PM

I like `em. I have 14 now, but only one is visible if I'm wearing jeans and a t-shirt (it's on my left forearm, "γνῶθι σεαυτόν").
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Phileas
Mac Elite
May 26, 2013, 03:59 PM

I like them too as long as they have personal meaning and the work is of high quality.

A friend of mine recently went to Japan and had an old-school hand inked tattoo done, an octopus on his shoulder and down his back. It took four weeks, with daily appointments. It looks fantastic.

I've got "Be Here Now" on the inside of my left wrist, in my grandmothers' handwriting. A watch covers it when needed.
I've also got a wood dragon, my Chinese sign, on my right shoulder. I had that done in Shanghai. It's very high quality, but done with a machine.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2013, 04:10 PM

I felt I needed to get my first one by 30 or take a pass for all eternity.

I always wanted to get the same tattoo (thorns around the ankle), so I don't think I would have regretted it, but I never got around to it in time.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2013, 07:22 PM

No tats. Just never saw a tat that made me say "I've gotta get one of those!"

Tiresias
May 26, 2013, 10:39 PM

^ I agree.

There is not graphic image I feel strongly enough about to have it imprinted permanently on my body.

And as for getting one just because they're cool, well, no.

It used to be a sign of rebellion. Now grandma and aunt Doris are getting them.

They're so passé that it is almost rebellious not getting one.

It's always like that. Nonconformist groups become conformist in their nonconformity which becomes the new conformity.

In the age of Skater Dad and Rave Mom, if you really want to piss off your parents you have to become a corporate lawyer for the Republican Party.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2013, 10:49 PM

P
May 28, 2013, 06:35 AM

Just don't get any "initials" from that gibberish font. This blog has some amusing examples.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi
May 28, 2013, 08:42 AM

I've wanted one, but like Subego think the "over 30" ship has sailed on that. Plus the pressure of designing/finding the perfect image to be there forever... daunting. I wanted an armband incorporating elements of my various heritages.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2013, 09:45 AM

Maybe we could all just get the URL for this thread tattooed somewhere.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Aeolius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2013, 08:26 PM

Over 30?!? Bah! I got my first tattoo, a weedy seadragon symbolizing fatherhood, when I turned 45. The next year I got a giant pacific octopus tattoo to symbolize motherhood. Last November I started a sleeve; a patch of sargassum seaweed with lots of critters hiding in it, to symbolize my children.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2013, 10:50 PM

Impress the homies with these classic tats

45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2013, 11:36 PM

Mary was a babe...

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2013, 09:11 AM

I have the names of my three (now two) cats in kanji on my left inner forearm. I love it - the guy who did it did a fantastic job, and it has meaning to me instead of just being gibberish or "love" or some shit.

I want to get a second one. Still trying to decide what I want to get, though. The one I have I had planned for years on getting - it was no impulse.

To the OP: keep in mind that tats are pricey and you need to tip your artist. Also make sure that you see samples of your artist's work. If they can't draw, they can't tattoo, period.

ETA: for the love of god, if you get a tattoo, don't get one from a flash sheet at the shop. You can't get cheesier than that.

Here it is when it was still healing (this is like two days after it was done; my skin is still wrinkly from the plastic wrap):

Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Tiresias
May 29, 2013, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Just don't get any "initials" from that gibberish font. This blog has some amusing examples.
Oh, my sides.

Phileas
Mac Elite
May 29, 2013, 01:17 PM

I'm going to submit Shif's tat to that blog. Just to see...

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2013, 05:36 PM

Haha go for it.

Be forewarned: the "Ninja" kanji is a calligraphy type version of it. There's some extra flair in there, but I did my research - as did my artist - before getting it done.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2013, 05:44 PM

That's just the "nin", though. I guess you could call it an "initial"…sort of. Except that by taking one ideogram instead of two, you change the meaning.

Sort of like abbreviating "heartburn" as "heart", or "rainbow" as "rain", or "busdriver" as "bus".

Aeolius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2013, 06:22 PM

November 2010:

November 2011:

November 2012 - Present (4 sessions):

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2013, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
That's just the "nin", though. I guess you could call it an "initial"…sort of. Except that by taking one ideogram instead of two, you change the meaning.

Sort of like abbreviating "heartburn" as "heart", or "rainbow" as "rain", or "busdriver" as "bus".
Not exactly...

...in Japan NIN evolved into shinobi, meaning to hide, to sneak in.
The second kanji character in the word "ninja" is "sha", which simply means "person" - ergo, "ninja" translates literally into "person who hides or sneaks in".

The characters on my arm are as I requested/designed. The kanji for my cat Ninja is the descriptor, and it's apropos for her personality.

At least, it was, before she got fat. Now she couldn't sneak if her life depended on it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2013, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
The second kanji character in the word "ninja" is "sha", which simply means "person" - ergo, "ninja" translates literally into "person who hides or sneaks in".

The characters on my arm are as I requested/designed. The kanji for my cat Ninja is the descriptor, and it's apropos for her personality.

I figured that it was okay this way, but still, however appropriate, "stealthy" has a different meaning from "stealth warrior". You obviously put thought into it and got useful advice, because you knew this going in and got what you wanted.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2013, 07:05 PM

Incidentally, the kanji for "nin" can also mean "endure" or "put up with", which is far more appropriate for a cat who feels the need to lay directly on top of whatever I'm doing/typing/reading at all times.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2013, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
At least, it was, before she got fat. Now she couldn't sneak if her life depended on it.
Maybe the kanji can be changed to read "nonja" :-p

-t

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2013, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Maybe the kanji can be changed to read "nonja" :-p

-t
I wonder if I could turn it into some bastardized version of a kanji meaning "fat lazy blob"...that's much more fitting for her now.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2013, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Ah man, this one sucks for the gal that got it: hanzismatter.blogspot.com

andi*pandi
Jun 8, 2013, 09:11 AM

That's a mean tattoo artist.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2013, 10:09 AM

Wow!

Pro tip: Never try to haggle with your tattooist. In fact, always tip them extra when they're done, they'll remember it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2013, 10:29 AM

Like others, never been committal enough that a single image is worthy of permanent residence. Hell, I've probably cycled through the various wall-hangings and pictures in my home 4 times in the past 10 years... rather than adding 10 or 20 more.
ebuddy

P
Jun 9, 2013, 06:31 PM

Keep looking through that blog. There is one "disaster" and several "big mistake" in among all the nonsense.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Tiresias
Jun 10, 2013, 12:08 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules