Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Paper Mario for GameCube... any good?

Paper Mario for GameCube... any good?
Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2004, 01:02 PM

Is the new Paper Mario for GameCube any good?
apparently, from a Wired article on it, it has a humor in it, and the game play is good... does y'all agree?

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 5, 2004, 01:14 PM

I played it for a few minutes at Best Buy. All I can say is:

Turn-based fighting:

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2004, 01:15 PM

I thought was for kids anyway.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

neophilia
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2004, 01:24 PM

I beat this game last weekend. Very, very enjoyable. Yes, it does have turn-based fighting, but unlike your usual RPG, they're very interactive battles. Moves have to be timed just right to inflict the most damage and by doing 'stylish' combos, you score more acclaim from the audience which lets you pull off special moves.

I'd agree with Wired that there's some really great humor in there as well. Graphics and character design are both beautiful as well. What struck me the most of all, though, was when you had literally hundreds of enemies on screen at the same time with NO slow down. Pretty amazing.

Also keep in mind that if you choose to pursue all the side-quests, this game gets looong. Like 40+ hours long, but surprisingly not draining.

-n

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2004, 01:57 PM

have you played mario and luigi: superstar saga on the gameboy?

that has turn based fighting and i am really enjoying it. if it is more of the same, but with better graphics, i might have to keep and eye out for a cheap copy of this.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Nov 5, 2004, 07:34 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Nov 7, 2004 at 01:38 PM. )

neophilia
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2004, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by mdc:

that has turn based fighting and i am really enjoying it. if it is more of the same, but with better graphics, i might have to keep and eye out for a cheap copy of this.
Yep, played that a while ago. If you liked Superstar Saga, you'll love Paper Mario. Same basic battle system and very similar RPG elements, but much, much richer.

daimoni -- make sure to listen to *all* of the crows when you get to that point. Absolutely brilliant!
-n

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2004, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
I thought was for kids anyway.
That argument is so ****ing old. As long as it's not Elmo & Cookie Monster, quality matters. I loved the first one on the 64. Well worth the money.

Besides, the style used is awesome.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2004, 02:44 AM

it is very similar to mario and luigi so if you like mario and luigi you will like paper mario the thousand year door.

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2004, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by neophilia:
daimoni -- make sure to listen to *all* of the crows when you get to that point. Absolutely brilliant!
-n
yeah, the writes definitely didn't hold anything back on this game. the dialogue is awesome.

RAAAAAWWK!

euchomai
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2004, 01:06 PM

I'm playing that game on the advance right now, I like it a lot. Fun story and passes the time nicely.

On the PS2 I took Ca$h's advice and found ico (for only a few bucks), that is a GREAT game. Graphics and the sound just pull you totally into it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules