Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Shuffle on more than one Mac

iPod Shuffle on more than one Mac
DPUser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2005, 11:27 PM

I've got a one gigabyte iPod Shuffle, a 60 GB iPod Photo and several Macs at home and office. There are Airport Expresses connected to speakers at each location. When I attach my iPod Photo to any Mac it just works; however, the Shuffle only connects to one Mac so I can't play it's music except on one of the Macs. Is there a work-around to play the Shuffle on multiple Macs?

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2005, 11:19 AM

i sync my computers (2 at home, 1 at work) so that my ipod playlists are identical.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Apr 18, 2005, 11:10 AM

I have a similar question:

I loaded my songs from my Mac at home to my 1GHz shuffle. When I plugged into my work PC (with iTunes 4.7.1 for Windows installed), iTunes comes up with a dialog box asking whether I want to delete songs that I got from another computer and load up songs from my work PC that I just plugged in (where my iTunes in Windows have zero songs in it).

I just wanted to plug into my work PC such that it can play my songs from iPod shuffle to my work PC's speaker or headphone jack via iTunes... is it possible?

bedoughty
Apr 19, 2005, 11:44 PM

Sorry veryniceguy2002 and DPUser, you can't play songs from an ipod shuffle if it's plugged in. Not through iTunes, not even through the headphones. It HAS to be unplugged from the computer.
-
this isn't who it would be
if it wasn't who it is
-T.Anastasio

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Apr 24, 2005, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by bedoughty
Sorry veryniceguy2002 and DPUser, you can't play songs from an ipod shuffle if it's plugged in. Not through iTunes, not even through the headphones. It HAS to be unplugged from the computer.
Well I don't understand... why would iTunes happily play my song list from my iTunes shuffle where my iPod shuffle have set-up?

Are you saying once I downloaded into my shuffle, I can only listen thru earphones?

SLam
Apr 26, 2005, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by veryniceguy2002
Well I don't understand... why would iTunes happily play my song list from my iTunes shuffle where my iPod shuffle have set-up?

Are you saying once I downloaded into my shuffle, I can only listen thru earphones?
When you stick it into a USB port, it acts as a USB flash drive. To listen to your music, you have to unplug it and use that shuffle as a portable music player by using the headphone port.

Other machines can not see the songs that you have on your shuffle. There are software out there that will let you see the music content and extract them to another computer. Check MacUpdate for details.
MacBook Pro 15" | 2 GB | 100 GB | 10.5.1stevelam.org

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Apr 27, 2005, 08:40 AM

I just found an workaround...

I can access the shuffle's hidden directory on Windows 2000, and I can copy the AAC files from my shuffle into iTunes in Windows... now I can play my songs in iTunes with my Shuffle!!

tonalsickness
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2005, 07:55 AM

my gf's shuffle shows up on my mac until iTunes pops up and tells me to reformat the shuffle to Mac (from windows) I can't see the hidden file for some reason so I just want to know if there was anyway to add her music that is on my computer, or my music that she likes to her shuffle w/o reformatting it. A PC or Mac way, because she always wants to put new songs on when we aren't at her house.
Dual 2.3 GHz G5, 1.5 GB ram, 19" LCD display, 20 GB 4G iPod
Creative DDTS-100 Dolby Digital Surround sound decoder (hooked to PM via Optical cable), Logitech 6.1 Surround sound speakers
1.6 GHz Dell Laptop w/ XP Pro

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2005, 11:47 AM

Get yourself a cheap set of speakers just for your shuffle at work or use the PCs speakers for it. You don't ever need to hook up the shuffle to the PC at work to listen to it. You can't crank up the volume anyway, so you won't hear how crappy the speakers are...

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules