Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Shuffle won't mount

Shuffle won't mount
bedoughty
Apr 19, 2005, 11:52 PM

My 1 GB shuffle suddenly won't mount on any Mac or PC. I have disk use enabled. It still works and plays. Just won't mount or seemingly charge. I've tried resetting the shuffle, restarting ALL the machines, fixing permissions. Running iTunes, NOT running iTunes... the shuffle just won't mount anywhere. I have a brand new 12" powerbook G4 1.5 Ghz, a new iMac G5 17" 1.8 Ghz, both with 768 ram. In the office on campus I work on a PowerMac G5 dual 2.0 Ghz with 1 GB ram, and one of my coworkers (unfortunately) has a five month old Dell XP PC. The shuffle has previously mounted and worked on all these machines.

I originally thought 10.3.9 might've been the culprit cuz I updated all my Macs to it right away, and it seems like that's when the shuffle stopped working. But I think I read someone else in the Apple forums has the same shuffle issue but they (apparently) are running 10.3.8.

Any ideas? Much appreciated. I'd hate to have to send this thing in for repair, I got it around two months ago and it seems so silly to have to repair a flash drive! Thanks in advance.
-
this isn't who it would be
if it wasn't who it is
-T.Anastasio

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2005, 12:18 AM

the problem should not be the os, i run 10.3.8 at work and 10.3.9 at home and use my ipod on both machines. i've had to do a restore once already, you may want to try it if you haven't already.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

bedoughty  (op)
Apr 20, 2005, 12:53 PM

Well that's the problem: the shuffle won't mount, so NOTHING sees it. Not disk utilitiy, not the ipod updater... nothing. As far as any of the computers I attach it to are concerned, the shuffle doesn't exist. As a matter of fact, I can play music on the shuffle, plug it into any of the machines I've mentioned and keep listening to music. It literally doesn't exist as far as the computers are concerned.
( Last edited by bedoughty; Apr 20, 2005 at 01:08 PM. )
-
this isn't who it would be
if it wasn't who it is
-T.Anastasio

mrgaskell
Senior User
Apr 20, 2005, 02:04 PM

Try starting up the PC with the Shuffle in the USB port and then running the updater if it shows up under 'My Computer.' I've had that problem where the *.file* or whatever it is called gets erased and then nobody can see it.
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2005, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by bedoughty
Well that's the problem: the shuffle won't mount, so NOTHING sees it. Not disk utilitiy, not the ipod updater... nothing. As far as any of the computers I attach it to are concerned, the shuffle doesn't exist.
well, i'm stumped then

if an apple store is near you (i have 3 in my immediate area) you may want to walk in with it and try to get some 'free advice', that's what i did, and the problem was fixed. i'm sure you can find a sales rep standing around waiting to help someone.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

mkbhatia
Administrator
Apr 20, 2005, 03:23 PM

I had a similar problem last night and had to plug the shuffle into another computer (which then asked me to delink from the other iTunes' library). After that happened, I simply replugged into the original computer and it worked fine.

Strange, but it worked.

paingold
Apr 20, 2005, 03:39 PM

I had this same exact issue. Mine wouldn't mount or charge either. I tried plugging it into one other mac and a pc with the same results. I ended up having to send it back to apple since there was nothing else I could do. They replaced it at no charge.

Raman
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 12:54 PM

I would try plugging it into a pee cee that doesn't have iTunes installed on it. Preferable in a USB port that you haven't tried to plug it into before. It should show up as any other flash device.

Forum Links
Forum Rules