Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My iMac died

My iMac died
cmcm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2005, 09:09 AM

Can anyone help me?

I have an older iMac that was acting up a bit... not allowing me to open more than one program at a time saving sometimes (stating there was not enough memory - despite the fact there was plenty). I could reboot and it would be OK for a bit, but then it would do it agian. I was planning on taking it in for some "professional help" after the two books I was working on were finished this week. Last night however, just as I was 90 percent through the first book, it died. It will start to boot up but before the OS starts it just makes a sickening repetative clicking sound and then the little Mac guy comes on in the middle of the screen with a big question mark. It also tried to start up this morning with the scheduled start up, but it again just went to the little Mac guy, who at this point, I think is laughing more than anything! There must be something working in there if it recognized the scheduled start up... or is this just wishful thinking?

I am not so much concerned about the fact that the computer may be fried, but I have another book in there I HAVE to get (it has to be done by the 19th). Everything else was backed up but because it was acting up, this one did not get saved elsewhere. (I know I was playng with fire, but had to get this book out) Is there any way to get it out now? I am not that technically Mac savy, just know this is not a good situation.
Help!

discotronic
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2005, 09:14 AM

Sounds to me like your hard drive is bad. You might be able to put the drive into an external enclosure and extract the information from it. There are programs out there that might be able to repair the drive long enough to get your stuff off of it. DiskWarrior comes to mind but if the drive is as bad as it sounds it looks like you will need real professional help. Depending on how soon you need your files, it could cost over $1000.

I'm not trying to be an a** but this is a very high price to pay for not backing your important files up.

cmcm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2005, 09:26 AM

Thanks... I was kind of expecting that. I kicked myself all night for not backing it up... lesson well learned. Thought I could squeak by until I brought it in this week. If it comes down to I can rewite the second book, but as you say, it is a high price for being an moron!

kick52
Baninated
Sep 14, 2005, 01:53 PM

the clicking sound has got to be the HD. but you also might have a problem with your ram if it wasnt opening programs and saying there isnt enough memory...

Forum Links
Forum Rules