Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > OSX Shut Out by FOX

OSX Shut Out by FOX
Thread Tools
rdf8585
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2006, 06:12 PM
 
FOX on-demand programming on myspace shuts out OSX completely, but it supports Windows dating back to 98SE. It really is a major bummer as I can't watch my shows on there.

myspace.com/fox
     
kick52
Baninated
Join Date: May 2005
Location: England
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2006, 06:35 PM
 
i hope they add mac support soon, or i think FOX is a bastard
     
hookem2oo7
Senior User
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Anson, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2006, 06:39 PM
 
i bet it would work if you used camitools and camino (or another tool capable of this) to spoof your browser/OS id
     
CatOne
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2006, 06:39 PM
 
lol. myspace.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2006, 06:58 PM
 
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
lol. myspace.
That's what I thought.

MySpace my a$$.

-t
     
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2006, 07:01 PM
 
Oooh, it's Fair and Balanced!
     
kmkkid
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Brantford, ON. Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2006, 07:01 PM
 
It seems FOX uses an ActiveX control for their player, so spoofing the user agent wont help.
     
ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 1999
Location: New York City
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2006, 07:02 PM
 
lol fox
     
SSharon
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Teaneck, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2006, 07:25 PM
 
I noticed this recently too. Who can I complain to? Or better yet can I just get permission to torrent their shows?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2006, 07:56 PM
 
Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
Or better yet can I just get permission to torrent their shows?
Just when you think you've seen it all, along come two words combined in a way never before seen.
     
SSharon
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Teaneck, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2006, 08:37 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Just when you think you've seen it all, along come two words combined in a way never before seen.
Hey, it saves them bandwidth costs and hate emails from me.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.
     
::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2006, 08:47 PM
 
Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I noticed this recently too. Who can I complain to? Or better yet can I just get permission to torrent their shows?
You need permission to download shows from torrent?

Oops.
     
CatOne
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2006, 09:09 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Just when you think you've seen it all, along come two words combined in a way never before seen.
     
SSharon
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Teaneck, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2006, 09:26 PM
 
Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
You need permission to download shows from torrent?

Oops.
I thought the word legally was implied.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.
     
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Stoneham, MA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 30, 2006, 11:03 PM
 
If fox has a myspace, just leave comments on that myspace page. Tell them using activex controls for video players is retarded and makes no sense. Tell them to either do their video in flash so everyone can see it, like everyone else does. OR post all your video, as simple video files, twice. Once in windows media and once in quicktime. With all these articles about apple's marketshare growing, I suspect the few websites that still block out mac users won't continue doing so for long.
     
Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 31, 2006, 12:50 AM
 
Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I noticed this recently too. Who can I complain to? Or better yet can I just get permission to torrent their shows?
I hereby grant you all necessary authority to torrent all fox content.

--Laurence
(Director of programming at Fox television)
     
ink
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Utah
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 31, 2006, 01:04 AM
 
Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
It seems FOX uses an ActiveX control for their player, so spoofing the user agent wont help.
Wow. Developers still use that?

Who'd they hire to design their website? Visual-Basic "programmers"?
     
Brien
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southern California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 31, 2006, 01:11 AM
 
Originally Posted by l008com View Post
If fox has a myspace, just leave comments on that myspace page. Tell them using activex controls for video players is retarded and makes no sense. Tell them to either do their video in flash so everyone can see it, like everyone else does. OR post all your video, as simple video files, twice. Once in windows media and once in quicktime. With all these articles about apple's marketshare growing, I suspect the few websites that still block out mac users won't continue doing so for long.
Don't get your hopes up, there'll always be lazy programmers.
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 31, 2006, 01:15 AM
 
Rush will get this fixed ASAP.
     
SSharon
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Teaneck, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 31, 2006, 02:04 AM
 
Originally Posted by Laurence View Post
I hereby grant you all necessary authority to torrent all fox content.

--Laurence
(Director of programming at Fox television)
Sweet thanks.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.
     
houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Houston
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 31, 2006, 02:33 AM
 
Originally Posted by rdf8585 View Post
FOX on-demand programming on myspace shuts out OSX completely, but it supports Windows dating back to 98SE. It really is a major bummer as I can't watch my shows on there.

myspace.com/fox
i thought google was removing this kinda content?
     
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 31, 2006, 04:55 AM
 
Google bought YouTube.

MySpace is, IIRC, now owned by Rupert Murdoch, the same right-wing media mogul that brings you Bush TV.
     
houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Houston
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 31, 2006, 05:13 AM
 
right, right ... i was thinking about youtube. but what does right-wing have to do with not allowing macs to access the site?

afterall, limbaugh is right-wing (and presumably so is jim 'mad money' cramer) but they are big apple /mac proponents.
     
lookmark
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2001
Location: NYC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 31, 2006, 07:05 AM
 
After you've sent your feedback, and while you're waiting... If you're using an Intel Mac, another solution is try out Crossover.
     
GuyWithACamera
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Nov 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 31, 2006, 07:16 AM
 
Originally Posted by lookmark View Post
After you've sent your feedback, and while you're waiting... If you're using an Intel Mac, another solution is try out Crossover.
Or just turn on the tv. If you're trying to catch up, try tivo OR kick it old school and program that vcr.
I have no lid upon my head. But if I did, you
could look iniside and see what's on my
mind.
     
Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Menands, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 31, 2006, 07:51 AM
 
Not being able to access Fox-now there's something I won't be losing any sleep over!
     
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Tampa, Florida
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 31, 2006, 08:23 AM
 
Meanwhile, the Vicente Fox has not, nor has plans to shut out OSX from Mexico.
     
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Salamanca, España
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 31, 2006, 12:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Meanwhile, the Vicente Fox has not, nor has plans to shut out OSX from Mexico.
Méjico no nos desilusiona

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.
     
SSharon
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Teaneck, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 31, 2006, 12:59 PM
 
Originally Posted by GuyWithACamera View Post
Or just turn on the tv. If you're trying to catch up, try tivo OR kick it old school and program that vcr.
Sadly, I don't even get local channels where I live. After rewiring an antenna and shoving it out the window I can barely pick up PBS.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.
     
Y3a
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Northern VA - Just outside DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 31, 2006, 01:10 PM
 
One Word.....TiVO.
     
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Stoneham, MA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 31, 2006, 01:16 PM
 
One Word.... TVRotsYourBrainEspecially_FairAndBalancedNoSpinTV_
     
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 31, 2006, 03:39 PM
 
Originally Posted by Ron Goodman View Post
Not being able to access Fox-now there's something I won't be losing any sleep over!
Agreed. That is until new season of 24 begins in January.

Speaking of 24, has anyone been able to get the season 6 trailer to work on their mac? The Flip4Mac plugin doesn't seem to work.

http://24trailer.com/

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:35 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,