Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Keystroke for cntrl-click

Keystroke for cntrl-click
:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Jan 22, 2007, 02:57 PM

Ok, I did a search and can't seem to find an answer to this.

Is there a keystroke to activate control-click.

For instance if I highlight a word while tying and want access to the contextual menu for, say, a spelling correction?

I'd initially like to avoid another utility, but I'd take anything at this point.

Thanks in advance.

Toby

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 03:08 PM

Here are your options:

- get yourself Apple's Mighty Mouse, or any two (or more) button mouse.

- if you have a recent Apple laptop, you can two-finger-click to bring up a contextual menu (make sure this is turned on in Sys Pref > Mouse & Keyboard > Trackpad). (If it's not recent, check out iScroll2 or Sidetrack.)

- download the free One Finger Snap utility to enable click-and-hold for contextual menus.

:dragonflypro:  (op)
Senior User
Jan 22, 2007, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by lookmark View Post
Here are your options:

- get yourself Apple's Mighty Mouse, or any two (or more) button mouse.

- if you have a recent Apple laptop, you can two-finger-click to bring up a contextual menu (make sure this is turned on in Sys Pref > Mouse & Keyboard > Trackpad). (If it's not recent, check out iScroll2 or Sidetrack.)

- download the free One Finger Snap utility to enable click-and-hold for contextual menus.

Thanks, but I am not quite so daft… I know how it works with a mouse… with a mouse is not a problem.

I do not want to have to use a mouse or trackpad. I want a keystroke so I don't need to reach for a mouse or trackpad.

Toby

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 03:59 PM

AFAIK, there's no good way of doing this with just the keyboard. You can assign keyboard shortcuts to specific contextual menu items, but not the contextual menu itself.

Here's a kind of mediocre workaround, courtesy of Mac OS X Hints:

The only way I have heard of doing that is by going to "System Preferences" and then "Universal Access" then under the "Mouse" tab turn on "Mouse Keys" then you can move the cursor with the keypad and if you push control and keypad 5 it will bring up the menu (not a very practical way to do it though)

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2007, 04:58 PM

The contextual menu is for the mouse. If you don't want to use the mouse, you use the shortcut keystrokes of the regular menubar. For spell-checking that would be ⌘;

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2007, 02:21 PM

Putting that another way... there shouldn't be anything in the contextual menu that isn't in the menubar. If it has a shortcut, you will find it in the menus in the menubar. If an action doesn't have a shortcut but you would like it to, you can use the System Preferences>Keyboard and Mouse>Keyboard shortcuts to set one, or you can use Control-F2 to activate the menubar items, arrow keys to move around and space to select.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 04:10 PM

In fairness to the OP, pulling up a contextual menu to get possible spelling corrections is a whole lot less clunky and a whole lot more enjoyable than pulling up the rather clunky spelling panel.

That said, I'm not sure what the big deal is about using a mouse or trackpad -- most people constantly use the mouse/trackpad when editing text, and the Mac UI has always exploited the interplay between the keyboard and pointing device.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2007, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by :dragonflypro: View Post
Is there a keystroke to activate control-click.

For instance if I highlight a word while tying and want access to the contextual menu for, say, a spelling correction?
If you are limiting this query to spelling corrections...
then the keyboard shortcut is option-escape (or F5).

Don't highlight the word. Simply type the first part...
and then do the 'option-escape'. (Cocoa apps only).
-HI-

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2007, 09:53 AM

Cool! I didn't know that, as I've used command-esc as my Quicksilver hot key for a little while now.

Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules