Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone + Remote + Airport Express + AirTunes: How well does it work?

iPhone + Remote + Airport Express + AirTunes: How well does it work?
Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2008, 03:13 AM

I'm getting my iPhone next week and I was wondering if any of you have tried its Remote widget with your Airport Express and AirTunes. If so, how well does it work?

I'm considering picking up an Airport Express to hook to my home audio system. My iMac has all the music, 1 floor up.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2008, 06:36 PM

I'm using it to control an appleTV w/ AirTunes and it's fantastic so far. Once you establish the connection, the interface looks just like the iPod app.

The biggest problem I anticipant is a drastic reduction in the iPhone's battery life due to the constant wifi connection.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2008, 06:48 PM

Remote.app was made for AirTunes, IMO. It works perfectly in my short usage so far. I have an iMac where all my music lives, an Airport Express that is connected to my stereo in my living room. Works great. You'll love it.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2008, 07:21 PM

So far so good. The Remote.app works best if you change the settings to stay connected to your Apple TV or computer though. I haven't picked up an Airport Express yet but it looks like I will sometime in the near future to use with this.

Battery life is a huge issue but there's not much that can be done about that given the hardware.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2008, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by k squared View Post
constant wifi connection.
Why the constant connection? Can't you just exit?

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2008, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Why the constant connection? Can't you just exit?
Yes, you can just exit the app. I meant the constant usage of searching for songs, switching artists, etc.

For instance, I'm browsing movies and tv shows through the remote rather than using the appleTV interface. It changes the way you interact with your devices. It's a good thing, but my battery life suffers. Such is life.

Now, the remote will really shine when we have the ability to interact with podcasts on the appleTV. Currently, it only sees podcasts on iTunes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules