Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Gmail with mail app

Gmail with mail app
Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2008, 11:19 AM

Just been on a major tip to switch all my various pop accounts to filter through gmail in order to get imap functionality. It al seems to be working but there are a few rough edges that I'm guessing I'm missing the answers to.

1) Junk - Is there any way to NOT have the spam (junk) folder show up on my mac. Because it does I get constant growl notifications that are spam/junk. I wrote a basic rule to mark all junk as read and move to the junk folder, however, while the rule works when invoked, it doesn't seem to run automatically on mail as it arrives. I'd rather the junk just stayed on the gmail server (as it were).

2) I have two smart folders for received today and yesterday. When mail comes in I get three or four versions of the same male. I guess it's because mail is showing up in my inbox and on my local gmail folders so it looks like multiple mails. I have set the smart boxes to show only todays mail that is in the inbox, which seems to have cured it but I'm not sure why mail in various boxes is being treated as different mails

Any comments on this would be great.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2008, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post

1) Junk - Is there any way to NOT have the spam (junk) folder show up on my mac. Because it does I get constant growl notifications that are spam/junk. I wrote a basic rule to mark all junk as read and move to the junk folder, however, while the rule works when invoked, it doesn't seem to run automatically on mail as it arrives. I'd rather the junk just stayed on the gmail server (as it were).
You can modify Gmail settings through the browser interface (I believe it's in the 'Lab' settings) to select which folders appear in Mail. I choose not to see the "All Mail" folder, for example. It took me a while of searching to find the settings...and I have forgotten exactly where to look.

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2008, 03:31 PM

excellent. It was indeed in the labs section. enable advanced imap then go to the labels area in settings and enable or disable any mail boxes you want to be visible in your IMAP client. Much better.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2008, 05:28 PM

For 2, can you set the smart mailbox to only pull from the All Mail folder instead of all folders?

Forum Links
Forum Rules