Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What's the difference between the two mac mini models?

What's the difference between the two mac mini models?
blackice168
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2009, 12:34 AM

They appear to be exactly the same aside from the harddrive,ram and video card memory. The expensive model has 2gb as opposed to 1gb. it says it has "256MB of shared DDR3 SDRAM." (double that of the cheaper model) would that be because the system memory is doubled?

I have an extra 320gig harddrive and 2gigs of ram from my macbook which i'm about to sell. Would this essentially make the cheaper model the exact same as the more expensive model?

thanks in advance

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2009, 03:07 AM

The differences are 120 vs. 320 GB HDD, 1 vs. 2 GB RAM, and $200.

The difference in shared VRAM is because of the installed memory and independent of which Mac mini you buy. If you put in 1 GB it's 128 MB. If you put in 2 GB or more it's 256 MB. It's automatically adjusted by the system.

Make sure those 2 GB from your MB are DDR3 SO-DIMM (IOW is it from a unibody MB?). DDR2 SO-DIMM (from plastic MBs) won't work in the new Mac mini.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by blackice168 View Post
I have an extra 320gig harddrive and 2gigs of ram from my macbook which i'm about to sell. Would this essentially make the cheaper model the exact same as the more expensive model?
Throw the 320 HD into an enclosure and your good to go for Time Machine and extra storage

blackice168  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2009, 11:32 AM

thanks for the replies, i know the different speeds of the ram. I think i'll get the cheaper one since I have all the parts i need to essentially make it the expensive one

Forum Links
Forum Rules