Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMAc 21.5in HDD upgrade

iMAc 21.5in HDD upgrade
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2011, 01:07 PM

Just fitted a replacement HDD for a friend into their iMac 21.5in. On these Macs Apple has started using the SMART diagnostics socket on the hd to report temp data etc so the replacement hd needs to match the type originally installed (or so I thought).

Anyway, I've replaced a Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200 drive with a 500GB version of the same drive. However while everything work fine OS etc wise, the damn hd fan keeps ramping up to max revs.

Any ideas?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2011, 07:15 PM

Service manual only contains a warning about correct installation of the sensor cable with a WD drive. My guess would be that its not installed correctly. I would open it back up and check the sensor at both ends.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2011, 06:51 PM

The cables definitely in. It's hard to get it wrong, one end clips into the smart socket of the drive the other into the "temp" connector on the mobo. Have checked it twice and it's connected fine. Temperature sensor app is showing a steady temp reading off the HD but the fans keep speeding up. Strangely on the first drive SMART reporter reported the drive as failing, which it wasn't. So there's definitely an issue somewhere.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

MacCompuFix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2011, 04:51 PM

Unfortunately you must replace the drive with an Apple OEM drive. The only way to get one of these is to take your machine to an Apple Authorized Service Center.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 8, 2011, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by MacCompuFix View Post
Unfortunately you must replace the drive with an Apple OEM drive. The only way to get one of these is to take your machine to an Apple Authorized Service Center.
I don't think this is true.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2011, 06:13 AM

I think your replacement drive is faulty.

Try another?
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2011, 12:20 PM

I wouldn't worry about SMART reporting too much unless it comes with matching strange noises or performance issues. The SMART diagnostics are not always accurate, or rather I have seen them report faults on drives which have gone on for years.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules