Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to set up Public FTP in OS X?

How to set up Public FTP in OS X?
gunnar
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2002, 10:20 PM

I have checked the Allow FTP Access in the Sharing control panel and can seem to connect via the Connect To... menu item in the Finder, but how do I enable a guest account and make some folders such as a drop box where people can leave files via an FTP program?

<small>[ 07-23-2002, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: gunnar ]</small>

Camelot
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2002, 12:05 AM

To enable anonymous ftp, you need to create a user called 'ftp' in the user database. Use NetInfo Manager to create a new group called 'ftp', then create a new user 'ftp'. Set the password to "*", set the shell to "/dev/null" (to prevent users from logging in at a shell), set the group to 'ftp', and set the home directory to /Users/ftp

Then create a folder /Users/ftp

If you want to allow a public drop-box, create an 'incoming' directory, and set the permissions so that user 'ftp' can write to the directory but can't read it, for example:

chmod 733 /Users/ftp/incoming
chown root:ftp /Users/ftp/incoming

In this way the folder is owned by root, but users in group 'ftp' can write to the directory.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

simonmartin
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2002, 06:01 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by gunnar:
<strong>I have checked the Allow FTP Access in the Sharing control panel and can seem to connect via the Connect To... menu item in the Finder, but how do I enable a guest account and make some folders such as a drop box where people can leave files via an FTP program?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Gunnar,

I just went through this... (hope I'm remembering right...)

The quick and dirty way to get this up and running is to create a new user on your computer for the FTP account. You might call it "guest" with a password of "ftpguest". Do this in your system prefs/users. Make sure you don't alow the user to admin the computer.

Someone could then access the guest account with an ftp client at &lt;ftp://guest@theipaddressofyourbox&gt; They would then be asked for a password, in this case "ftpguest".

Note that they will have complete access to the guest account, including all the folders it contains. I guess they would also have access to your applications folder.

Personaly I would only alow access to trusted people, only activate the service when it was needed and move any uploads out of the guest account ASAP.

Hope this helps.

Simon
Get a free email address at http://www.ippimail.com and support your favorite charity without it costing you a penny.Email for the good guys!

rsh
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2002, 06:08 AM

An option that has worked extremely well for a lot of people: <a href="http://crushftp.com/" target="_blank">Crush FTP</a>.

It puts a simple-to-use GUI on FTP setup, easily allows you to assign accounts and levels of access based on trust, and is bargain cheap to boot. The virtual directories feature is killer.

You can give it a try for free.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2002, 08:34 AM

If you do decide to let people upload anonymously (something I strongly advise against; it's a huge security hole), then watch your Uploads folder like a hawk. Particularly be on the lookout for invisible files and folders.

Otherwise, I'd suggest you use CrushFTP if you're really hell-bent on this. Although it's possible to set up anonymous FTP with the built-in FTP daemon, Apple left the GUI out for this feature for a reason.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

OreoCookie
Jul 24, 2002, 10:46 AM

Go to <a href="http://www.macosx.org" target="_blank">MacOS X.org</a>, they have nice, easy-to-use instructions for anonymous ftp. If you want to do it.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules