Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Lookin for a Lite-On

Lookin for a Lite-On
aaanorton
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2003, 04:04 PM

Can anybody tell me who is packaging Lite-On mechs in their CDRW drives? I'm thinking about picking one of thos 52x units up, but would like to compare some prices.

Thanks.

aaanorton  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2003, 04:56 PM

I'm guessing the LaCie d2 FW 52x is Lite-On, but their site doesn't specify the mech.

reverb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2003, 04:42 AM

Buslink 52x burners with packaging indicating "Smart Burn" technology contain Lite-On mechanisms.

Those with packaging indicating "Just-Link" technology are AOpen mechanisms. And those which simply indicate buffer underrun protection without specifying one of the above trade names may contain either mechanism.

vasu
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 08:23 AM

I believe the Memorex and Cendyne ones are also Lite-On. Pacific Digital might be as well, but not 100% of the time.

-vasu

aaanorton  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2003, 01:17 PM

Thanks, but I didn't even wait for responses after I found a refurb unit at Lacie's Clearence Corner site for just 99 bucks. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. I'll report back when I get it.

aaanorton  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2003, 12:57 PM

Just an update...
I got my d2 52x CDRW from LaCie. It's listed as RECON in their Clearence Corner section, on their site. I paid only 99 bucks for it, which I thought was a great price, untill today I noticed they dropped it to $89!
This unit is in their cool d2 case which is very nice. It has a Lite-On (LTR-52246S) mech with firmware v. 6S02 / MMC-3. So far this has worked flawlessly. I'm upgrading from a 12x burner, so the speed increase is amazing. I haven't had a single problem yet and I've burned a number of CDs, including bootable ones (I can boot from the drive as well). I've used Toast Titanium 5.2, iTunes and Finder.
If anybody's looking for a quick CDRW, grab one of these for $89. The package shipped fast also and arrived before it was scheduled to.

Forum Links
Forum Rules