Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Retrospect Desktop Tips

Retrospect Desktop Tips
aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2003, 12:45 PM

OK, so I decided to spring for RD. Since I owned a license for Express from YEARS ago, the upgrade to Desktop was only 59 bucks.
Anyway, I'm looking for any tips on maintaining quality backups with this app. I've created and edited an Easy Script to backup my G4 and iBook to a hard drive. Seems simple enough, but what about compression? Good idea or bad, considering I have oodles of space? So far I've just specified the Home folders on each machine. This seems like enough to me. Any thoughts? Are there any other prefs to set in there that will make a big difference?
Thanks for any advice.

-Q-
Jun 2, 2003, 10:23 AM

I've only begun playing with RE, but I have noticed that my scheduled backups aren't running at the time I schedule them. I have to launch the application before the scripts will run, so watch out for that.

I use compression with my backups and I've not encountered any trouble so far. It does add some time to the total process tho'. If you have oodles of space, I don't think it's necessary.

I back up my home directory, my MP3 collection (stored on another drive) and my /Library folder as I've installed some fonts I want available system-wide. And some apps store prefs in there also (even tho' they shouldn't).

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2003, 10:30 AM

I've got a RE question. I have a FW drive exactly the same size as my iMac HD, so I do a total backup. I have noticed that when I backup stuff, then delete files from the main drive, they are still on the backup. I erased my old backup, and started over again last night, but how do I avoid this in the future?

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2003, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by dampeoples:
I've got a RE question. I have a FW drive exactly the same size as my iMac HD, so I do a total backup. I have noticed that when I backup stuff, then delete files from the main drive, they are still on the backup. I erased my old backup, and started over again last night, but how do I avoid this in the future?
By default, Retrospect does an 'incremental' backup, meaning you can have multiple versions of a file per backup. In case the version of a Photoshop file you wiped over on Thursday is on Tuesday's backup, for example.

If you want to turn this feature off, simple change the backup type from 'normal' to 'full' and it will reset the media each time you do a backup.

For peace of mind, though, I'd keep it as a normal backup. You can restore a snapshot of your drive from any given day which can be a huge blessing (as I found out over the weekend when my wife's iBook was dropped and it died).
Computer thez nohhh...

Forum Links
Forum Rules