Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.4 no SCSI?

10.4 no SCSI?
graphics84
Senior User
Dec 20, 2004, 06:06 PM

Hi Everyone... not sure of the rules regarding asking about Future releases of the OS (not support but speculation) but I've heard a rumor that 10.4 won't support SCSI and I'm about to buy a huge fiber-optic raid with interanl SCSI drives and I'm a little worried (IDE just wown't cut it speed wise so don't bother to argue it)..

anyone know about this?

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2004, 06:31 PM

Won't the OS just see the fibre channel and not the SCSI ? Isn't the SCSI handled by the RAID enclosure and the data sent with the fibre channel bridge ? I can't answer your question directly tough.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2004, 06:31 PM

I find that pretty unlikely. They have SCSI support now, so I don't see any reason why they would intentionally remove it.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

larkost
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2004, 07:21 PM

Just as the previous two posters have suggested, there is no reason to believe that Apple would be cutting support for SCSI in general (I could see them not continuing to update specific device drivers... but that is a different thing). In fact FireWire uses a protocol that is based heavily on the SCSI command set, so most of the work is done there, plus Apple has been doing a lot of work on XSAN, and that protocol is almost definitely SCSI based (over Fiber or network).

Plus, you are using this through a RAID, so you wouldn't be affected even if they did...

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2004, 09:56 PM

SCSI is supported in Tiger.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2004, 01:11 AM

Yes you heard it's true, with the introduction of Tiger they are completely dropping SCSI support from the OS, thus making all Xraids and Xserve totally redundant and useless. </SARCASM>

Seriously, that rumour has been doing the rounds at least since 10.1.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

graphics84  (op)
Senior User
Dec 21, 2004, 01:27 AM

just trying to save myself from a $2,000 dollar paper weight... wouldn't you?...

thanks for you opinions... I think your right but better safe than sorry...

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2004, 08:16 AM

Where did you hear this rumor? It doesn't make sense that Apple would suddenly drop a technology used in machines which it still sells.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2004, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Where did you hear this rumor? It doesn't make sense that Apple would suddenly drop a technology used in machines which it still sells.
What mac uses SCSI ?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2004, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by Goldfinger:
What mac uses SCSI ?
Several of the Macs at the Apple Store can have a SCSI card dropped in as a Build-To-Order option.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

graphics84  (op)
Senior User
Dec 21, 2004, 12:41 PM

I'm working with a studio and we are doing some high end rendering... movie stuff, but a sales rep metioned it to us but I think it was a sales tatic not the real deal.

larkost
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by graphics84:
I'm working with a studio and we are doing some high end rendering... movie stuff, but a sales rep metioned it to us but I think it was a sales tatic not the real deal.
Never, ever, buy anything from that company. If the reps are willing to use FUD and outright lies to get you to buy things, they are not worth working with, and do not have your best interests in mind.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by larkost:
Never, ever, buy anything from that company. If the reps are willing to use FUD and outright lies to get you to buy things, they are not worth working with, and do not have your best interests in mind.
I know what "FUD" means, but if you don't: Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2004, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Several of the Macs at the Apple Store can have a SCSI card dropped in as a Build-To-Order option.
Right, didn't think about BTO.

graphics84  (op)
Senior User
Dec 22, 2004, 07:31 PM

cool beans guys... I haven't had much contact with anyone in the mac community in a while and I always appreciate opions on this forum...

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2004, 04:38 AM

It's more likely that ATA will be dropped bf SCSI... hell it's more likely that SATA will be dropped before SCSI. Not that any of them will be dropped at all. SCSI's just another protocal. What does it take to support SCSI? A driver and the hardware (and ASPI which is technically part of the driver) There is no good reason to ever drop scsi. There would be however a good reason to drop PATA if anything.

TJK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2004, 01:26 PM

Actually SCSI support has gotten worse. Cards that would boot Jag won't boot Panther. If you upgrade the system to 10.3 from 10.2 it will boot. These are original Apple OEM cards(Atto UL2D). It seems like an effort was made to take this capability away since it worked before. F'ing stupid!

larkost
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2004, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
I know what "FUD" means, but if you don't: Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt.
I do know what FUD means... so if you read more carefully I also said "outright lies" right after it. I was trying to get the whole bag of tricks that you should be watching out for. I guess you missed that point.

graphics84  (op)
Senior User
Dec 23, 2004, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by larkost:
I do know what FUD means... so if you read more carefully I also said "outright lies" right after it. I was trying to get the whole bag of tricks that you should be watching out for. I guess you missed that point.
heh, I know this wasn't for me but man if you guys would stop acting like someone stepped on your balls every time someone says something the least bit critical the whole forum would be a lot better place... thats why I stopped reading these... you don't have to be a troll to like computers, do you?

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2004, 12:06 AM

Actually SCSI is extinct. If you play the part of the keynote where Steve anounced the original Bondi iMac and how the floppy was extinct backwards, you can hear him in a bad imitaion of John Lennon imitating the wicked witch saying "Just you wait, we'll get your little SCSI dog too!" On second thought I think I dreamed that part. But SCSI doesn't roll of the tounge like SATA or IDE or FireWire. so I'm pretty sure it is toast anyway.

bd
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

graphics84  (op)
Senior User
Dec 24, 2004, 03:06 AM

Originally posted by Boondoggle:
Actually SCSI is extinct. If you play the part of the keynote where Steve anounced the original Bondi iMac and how the floppy was extinct backwards, you can hear him in a bad imitaion of John Lennon imitating the wicked witch saying "Just you wait, we'll get your little SCSI dog too!" On second thought I think I dreamed that part. But SCSI doesn't roll of the tounge like SATA or IDE or FireWire. so I'm pretty sure it is toast anyway.

bd
see that's a great post... humor, sarcasm and witchcraft, nice

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2004, 04:36 AM

Originally posted by TJK:
Actually SCSI support has gotten worse. These are original Apple OEM cards(Atto UL2D).
I have this card and it works fine with Panther... it uses the generic driver that Panther assigned it. (It's not the Atto driver however)

Anybody who think's that SCSI is going extinct has obviously never worked in a server room. Tell SUN, SGI or IBM that SCSI is going extinct and get laughed at untill you go extinct...

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2004, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by graphics84:
see that's a great post... humor, sarcasm and witchcraft, nice
Thanks!
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Forum Links
Forum Rules