Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How is the Bluetooth support in Tiger?

How is the Bluetooth support in Tiger?
kcm3
Apr 28, 2005, 07:04 PM

To those of you who have already gotten your copies of Tiger: what has been added/improved as far as Bluetooth goes? I know it's supposed to finally give us BT headset support, for things like using a BT headset for iChat audio. What about the opposite? It has been said here before that people thought Tiger would allow using the Mac as a headset for a BT phone. Anybody know if that wish came true?

I suppose I'll find out for myself tomorrow night.

Parky
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 09:35 AM

I have had no problems with Bluetooth in Tiger yet.

I have the Apple BT Keyboard and Mouse, plus a Sony Ericsson T630 phone, all work OK so far.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

ARENA
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 09:48 AM

I've used my Microsoft Bluetooth mouse and my SE T610 every day for the last week in Tiger and everything works perfectly.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2005, 09:54 AM

I can now use my Nokia 6620 with iSync.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

kcm3  (op)
Apr 29, 2005, 12:09 PM

I guess my question isn't really "does bluetooth still work", but rather, can you do anything in Tiger that you couldn't do in Panther? Like the new phone support pointed out by Starman. The "new features" page claims some enhanced BT features, but isn't very specific on exactly what you can do now.

Phrogman
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2005, 12:17 PM

My Motorola v551 now works with iSync via bluetooth.

k2director
Senior User
Apr 29, 2005, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by ARENA
I've used my Microsoft Bluetooth mouse and my SE T610 every day for the last week in Tiger and everything works perfectly.
Can you program the extra buttons of the mouse for any application? Not just Expose functionality, but any application? Thanks!

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2005, 02:14 AM

My Jabra BT 250 is no longer recognized as a sound input/output device in the Sound Preferences panel. Ideas, anyone? Using the Bluetooth Setup Assistant it is recognized as a headset and pairs up fine.

GreyArea
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 03:38 AM

SMS texting from Address Book seems b0rked. It pretends everything is ok but it never actually sends the text. This is on a T68i but I'm hearing people with other phones (Motorola, Nokia) also experiencing this.
Jim
I'm Old Peculiar and so is my beer.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
May 4, 2005, 07:33 AM

BT headsets worked fine for me in iChat Panther. I don't think we'll be seeing the Mac providing the Handsfree Audio Gateway profile any time soon, alas. I was lead to believe, by a wireless engineer friend, that It requires modifying the BT core's Firmware, so I wouldn't expect it to be provided by a third-party either.
( Last edited by Diggory Laycock; Jun 2, 2005 at 04:47 PM. Reason: factual error)
You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2005, 06:10 PM

my moto v710 STILL doesn't fing work! It would be so easy, they just won't do it. Syncs over USB no prob though.

wintermute1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 08:25 PM

Well, since I installed Tiger my Motorola Razr V1 now works via blue tooth. Before only a usb linked worked.

W

ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2005, 08:27 PM

maybe I am doing something wrong, I open setup bluetooth devices, but the only option it gives me is to connect to the internet, the other 2 options are completely greyed out.

ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2005, 08:37 PM

nevermind

First, make sure your phone can sync with iSync 2.0 via Bluetooth�some phones, such as a Motorola v710, only work via USB. If it should work via Bluetooth, go to the next step.

This blows

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2005, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by GreyArea
SMS texting from Address Book seems b0rked. It pretends everything is ok but it never actually sends the text. This is on a T68i but I'm hearing people with other phones (Motorola, Nokia) also experiencing this.
I have a T610 and I'm experiencing the same problem. Was starting to get a little miffed at people not responding to my text messages but eventually I figured out that they were simply never being sent even though everything appeared to work. Now I'm very miffed at Apple because this worked flawlessly in Panther. What's even more strange is that iSync and even dialing a phone number via bluetooth works fine in Tiger. It's only the SMS functionality that is screwed up.

OAW

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 12:17 PM

Having a Sony Ericsson P910i, I was more than pleased to see
full support for it.
But appearently there is no support for SMS sending nor receiving, something which used to be great on a SE T68i, and works with Tiger on a SE 610 flawlessly.
What I understood is that there is a problem at Sony Ericsson side, where the way SMS is handled on these pda-like phones differs from the way that is handled on regular phones.
Such a shame they can't get this right: after all it must be more difficult to get the ceo of Sony on stage than get your software engineers talk with the Sony Ericsson guys!

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2005, 12:37 PM

my kensington mouse, and my palm t3 work fine in tiger (altho takes longer for the mouse to connect than in panther...)

otherwise, great!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2005, 12:43 PM

My S65 (previously unsupported, but functioning), no longer works with iSync.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
My S65 (previously unsupported, but functioning), no longer works with iSync.
It's not on the list

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2005, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Appleman
It's not on the list
Yes, thank you.

It still worked in Panther.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 12:49 PM

A lot of people have been griping about BT on Tiger - especially BT keyboards. Alas my upgrade of my phone lost my bluetooth. So that $50 adaptor I bought a few years ago is going to waste.

Word around the campfire though is that the forthcoming 10.4.2 upgrade fixes some BT problems.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Yes, thank you.
It still worked in Panther.
What I mean is that SMS is not mentioned at all in that list, which is strange, as it is quite an overlooked cool & handy feature.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2005, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by OAW
I have a T610 and I'm experiencing the same problem. Was starting to get a little miffed at people not responding to my text messages but eventually I figured out that they were simply never being sent even though everything appeared to work. Now I'm very miffed at Apple because this worked flawlessly in Panther. What's even more strange is that iSync and even dialing a phone number via bluetooth works fine in Tiger. It's only the SMS functionality that is screwed up.

OAW
I hardly ever turn off my phone. But after trying everything else (e.g. deleting Address Book preferences, repairing with the phone, scouring the net for tips or suggestions for this problem, etc.) I eventually decided to "reboot" the phone itself. Turned it off and then back on after a few seconds and lo and behold SMS messages are being sent again. Thought I'd pass that along in case others are experiencing BT related problems with their phones.

OAW

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by OAW
I hardly ever turn off my phone. But after trying everything else (e.g. deleting Address Book preferences, repairing with the phone, scouring the net for tips or suggestions for this problem, etc.) I eventually decided to "reboot" the phone itself. Turned it off and then back on after a few seconds and lo and behold SMS messages are being sent again. Thought I'd pass that along in case others are experiencing BT related problems with their phones.
OAW
Sometimes my SE P910i won't be recognisex by Salling Clicker. Phone Off - ON often does the trick.
But SMS on this phone is documented as not working. That's something different.

Forum Links
Forum Rules