Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Powerbooks this week!

New Powerbooks this week! (Page 4)
Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2005, 03:50 PM

All this hype over "just" PM/PB speed bumps doesn't feel right. Did it ever occur to anyone that ALL the rumors may be true? That is Steve intros new PM/PB speed bumped machines and then does the "One More Thing" routine and intros a v-Pod?

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2005, 04:44 PM

I think that too... the invitations: http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1305 said "one more thing..." and if a new iPod (nano) was just released then what kind of thing do you think that "one more thing" will be? and Apple insider said that "On Tuesday the iPod maker began distributing invitations to analysts and members of the media for a special event" so I don't think that you should keep your hopes high for new PBs on the 12th, about the new PBs though i agree with NateExxes (first page):
I'm guessing the Intel Macs will be in July, after all of the schools have finished their computer orders for the following year. That seems to be a common trend.

Muffin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2005, 04:11 PM

This would be the ideal time for a PB update - considering what is in store coming in '06.
MBP 15.4" 2.4 | iMac 20" 2.4 | Mac Pro 2.66 | 17" iMac G5 iSight | PM Quicksilver 867 G4

MarkJ61
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2005, 05:24 PM

"one more thing" could very easily mean, and likely will be, a few things.
The tag line just reflects Apples understated marketing tone that could setup a series of new shiny toys.

I concur with TS's speculation on why it makes sense for this not to be a vPod.

"Apple wants to avoid detracting attention from the new iPod nano, which carries high margins and which Apple expects might sell up to 10 million units this holiday quarter"

"Apple's bigger priority at this time is halting the skid in both Power Mac and PowerBook sales"

Who knows? My PB money is burning a hole is my pocket, tho.

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2005, 05:43 PM

My PB money is burning a hole in my pocket, too.

I've seen a lot of posts from people in the same boat, which means a huge run on PBs when they're updated, right? Wonder if Apple will be ready for that, or if it'll run into month-long backorders?

lunaticbunny
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2005, 09:29 PM

Has Steve Job's famous "one more thing" line always been Steve introducing a brand new product? That's what I keep recalling... I could be wrong.

Was there every a time when Steve said those three little words and didn't introduce a new product?
17" PowerBook 1.33GHz
1GB Ram

jdc45
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2005, 10:18 PM

No, you are correct, when Job's says One More Thing it does mean something big will be coming up. Oct 12th I hope

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2005, 10:40 PM

maybe... maybe...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2005, 11:37 PM

I think this could be one last hurrah for the PowerPC professional laptop line, with all the features they've been thinking about for a while: DDR2, new graphics card, and high resolution screens.

Frans
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2005, 05:22 AM

It's great fun to read all these speculations slash "what we all are yearning for". So let me put in my greatest mac-wish: a MacLight, with the best stuff that my former Sony Vaio had (13" 1200x800 XBright screen, 1.5 kg) and then in a great smashing new mac-design. However, I'm not that much of an optimist to expect tha MacLight on the 12th of October, but could someone at mac please convince His Steveness to work on it and get me one by Q2 next year? That would be really awesome.
After 18 years of MS-DOS and Windows working very happy on Mac, now on a 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz - 2Gb memory - 200 Gb HD with a 20 and 23" screen. I've been waiting for the iPhone for quite a while, let's role it out in Europe. Just one wish left for now: a light mac (2-3 pounds) with 8 hours of working time. They can do it... :-)

Guntis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2005, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by brent0saurus
Hopefully they will fix the wireless reception in powerbooks, add a 7200 rpm hard drive...or flash maybe!? AND LONGER BATTERY LIFE! We need something that will show the iBooks who's boss!!! because right now the iBooks are basically an affordable white powerbook with better reception and battery life...ohhh how i wish i had waited...
Maybe I'm alone here who's fully satisfied with my PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, SuperDrive) which I bought one and a half year ago... Maybe I'll add 1GB extra RAM, but that's all. I can do all that I need. Whet else do I need? Longer battery life? Maybe, but that's not so important for me. Batterly life always van be more than it's now. I'd be happy to have 16 hours battery life, but then again...
“Never ask a man what computer he uses. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass him?”
(Al PowerBook G4: 1.5GHz, 1GB RAM, 64MB Radeon 7500, 100GB HDD, SD, AP, BT, Backlit keyboard; APEBS)

Al G
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2005, 12:36 PM

Maybe it's just because I'm getting old and old-fashioned, but I really don't see a big market for this fabled vPod or video iPod. Sure, it wouldn't be the first time Apple gave us something that we needed but didn't know we needed.

However, unless there's some fundmental features missing from the rumors, I still don't see the market. Yeah, so you can watch videos on your iPod. So what? You can take pictures with a cell phone too, but they're crappy pictures. If you want good pictures then you use a real digital camera. And if you want a good video viewing experience then you want to use something with a screen larger than 2 inches. Although I have to admit that video podcasting might be useful.

I can see the One More Thing announcement being about video downloads from iTMS (maybe now called the iTunes Media Store) or another home video device or even a new class of portable computing device from Apple. But not simply a video iPod.

Nor do I think that upgraded Powermacs and Powerbooks warrant a special event. If they have them ready, then I guess they might be mentioned, but that can't be the focus of the event. For all we know the 7448 may not be ready in the PBs yet. And if the PM and PB updates are small, it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't even mentioned and just showed up on the Apple Store--just as they normally do when hardware updates are small.
Your Mac could help understand and cure disease

PeterKG
Senior User
Oct 8, 2005, 03:43 PM

I am thinking that Apple will be unveiling Intel Powerbooks. Or maybe Intel Power Macs. I think they are way ahead in development and that they would not be hyping just an update to the old Powerbooks. This is what I'm hoping for on Tuesday.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

lunaticbunny
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2005, 03:51 PM

Maybe they'll announce that Astroid thing.

But if it's a PowerBook thing, I hope they'll never ever put that xbrite type of coating on any of their screens. I find it to be a horrible "feature". It's like looking at a giant mirror, it reflects back everything, unless you use it in complete darkness.
17" PowerBook 1.33GHz
1GB Ram

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2005, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Guntis
Maybe I'm alone here who's fully satisfied with my PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, SuperDrive) which I bought one and a half year ago... Maybe I'll add 1GB extra RAM, but that's all. I can do all that I need. Whet else do I need? Longer battery life? Maybe, but that's not so important for me. Batterly life always van be more than it's now. I'd be happy to have 16 hours battery life, but then again...
Ever want to view, or *gasp* edit, high definition content?
How about multi-megapixel images?
Two pages of high-resolution fonts?
Or are you just a window junkie like me?
If you said yes to any of the above, you could use a higher resolution screen; WUXGA is cheap and common on 15/17" these days.

How about faster drives (7200RPM) or less expensive RAM that uses less power (DDR2)?

PowerBooks used to be the king of battery life; they got 3 hours while most PCs got 2. Now PowerBooks get 2-3 while most PCs get 3-4.

Talleyman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2005, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Flip500
forget the apple and man part, all they're about is SALES. I rarly trust them, unless they're telling me where the bathroom is...

Wha? Say it ain't so!!! Salesmen/women...all about SALES!!! Those bastards!!

tman
========================================
http://www.sledgetech.com

PowerMac G4 800/Powerbook G4 Aluminum, 1.25ghz

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it......Steven Wright

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2005, 10:03 PM

not getting the right sale for you, just the most expensive sale, get it?

epsionbass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2005, 11:30 PM

am i the only person hoping that apple releases better pb's just so the ones out now may drop a good amount in price?

havocidal
Oct 10, 2005, 05:24 AM

i think itz gonna be a big update... more than just a speed bump... normally when apple calls for some event... it usually has completely new products like the shuffle and the nano this yr... if itz just a speed bump... it will just be an update on their website usually... they wouldn't bother holding an event for it

mrmister
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2005, 05:45 AM

"You're right. I'd never noticed they're at the back. Just for OSX sound effects I guess. So then what's that pinhole on the top left-hand-side of the keyboard directly above the F1 key?"

Microphone.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2005, 05:46 AM

"Maybe I'm alone here who's fully satisfied with my PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, SuperDrive) which I bought one and a half year ago... Maybe I'll add 1GB extra RAM, but that's all. I can do all that I need. Whet else do I need? Longer battery life?"

i have the same computer, and I'd like longer battery life. Increased screen resolution would also make me sit up and take notice.

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2005, 04:07 PM

Well I just made a bet with a friend that if a new laptop comes out on Wednesday that it will be mactel, he says it will just be G5(PowerBook).... think I'm gonna win??

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2005, 04:08 PM

I think you will both lose that one.

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2005, 04:10 PM

Well I just made a bet with a friend that if a new laptop comes out on Wednesday that it will be mactel, he says it will just be G5(PowerBook).... think I'm gonna win??
You kwaaaaaazy, Doctah Jones.

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2005, 04:15 PM

well, that was almost all they were talking about in the begining of this thread.... we'll see... we'll see....

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2005, 05:53 PM

I'm starting to feel a little tired of my two-year-old Albook. It's one of the early 15" batch with the white spots (now more like "giant white cross covering the whole screen"), and the broken latch. Just never could spare time to send the 'book away during its warranty, or to risk it coming back with a more serious defect. The defects don't bother me too much, it's mostly cosmetic, I just wish it was faster and had some of the features of the newer models.

One of the rumor sites is saying it's going to be a PB with higher resolution and maybe a speed bump. That would make me jealous, but I wouldn't buy. I'm definitely not going to buy anything until the Intel PBs come out. Then I'll have to decide whether to be an early adopter or not. I really got burned by the Albook, but I had to buy it when I did because I needed it for a job. That could be a deciding factor for me this time around too. If I don't get a big job before then, I know I'll be working out of town from May to August this year. Whatever Apple is offering in May will probably be the deciding factor, along with the condition of my PB by then. I would love it if the Intel 'books were introduced now so they might have worked out a lot of the problems, and maybe released a Rev. B by the time I'm ready to buy. Even if it's desktops and not 'books, that would still give people a chance to try out the new technology and find the bugs.

Fingers crossed for an Intel announcement (and video ipod sounds really boring).

Moon Potato
Oct 10, 2005, 06:55 PM

I've been using a pismo since 2001, and am chomping at the bit to buy a new powerbook, so I'm really hoping for something good this week. The last update was pretty disappointing, and considering what's available in the laptop world as far as processors, GPU's and displays go, the powerbook family has been looking rather lame as of late. Though there won't be any miracles in the processor department until the switch to mactels, higher definition LCD's and an X700 mobility in addition to a faster system bus and twice the L2 cache would make me happy.

Also, and I'm hoping this is not the case, we may not see new powerbooks until later this month. Amazon has extended their rebates on the current batch of 'books until the 18th.

sonicularulus
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2005, 07:24 PM

i am asking for a perpendicular drives made by toshiba...
i think those drives will make it possible for a thinner 80 gig ipod...

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2005, 09:09 PM

I would like to see the return of the black keyboard from the Titanium, a new material that does not inhibit wireless performance and does not dent so easily, less heat, more battery life. Perhaps a built-in iSight camera as an option, like some of the PC laptops.

Perhaps some kind of carbon-fiber Powerbook that is not only different and eye-catching, but functional and practical without sacrificing style. Oh yeah, a Powerbook that does not require a screen-protector to prevent permanent screen marks. If anybody can do it, it is Apple.

I wonder what a carbon-fiber Powerbook would look like.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2005, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Macpilot
[1] a new material that does not inhibit wireless performance and does not dent so easily
[2] less heat, more battery life.
[3] I wonder what a carbon-fiber Powerbook would look like.
(Numbering mine)

1. Plastic
2. Centrino
3. Like the carbon fiber Sony X505, but thicker.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2005, 07:37 AM

I ordered my powerbook last tuesday, it went from being delivered last friday, to yesterday, then i rang up and they said i'd get it thursday.
Today, i ring up and they say it'll arrive next Wednesday.
I hope its a stealth update, and not just Apple being slack.

UNrepeatable
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2005, 09:24 AM

I ordered my 12" Powerbook on Saturday, & it arrived this morning!

I'm in the UK too so I don't know why it's taking yours so long to come.

havocidal
Oct 11, 2005, 10:15 AM

there r some places in the UK where powerbooks supply r running completely dry

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 11, 2005, 10:49 AM

I think you will both lose. I think it will be a G4 7448.

Originally Posted by UNrepeatable
I ordered my 12" Powerbook on Saturday, & it arrived this morning!

I'm in the UK too so I don't know why it's taking yours so long to come.
Thanks for taking one for the team. Because of your purchase, we are now guaranteed new PowerBooks tomorrow.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2005, 10:51 AM

amen to that.

UNrepeatable
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2005, 11:57 AM

Thanks for taking one for the team. Because of your purchase, we are now guaranteed new PowerBooks tomorrow.
All good. I'm more than happy with my purchase!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2005, 12:26 PM

Re UNrepeatable's 12" Powerbook, the 12" on the UK store still has 24h delivery, the 15 and 17" have 5 or 6-8 days delivery

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

jesset
Oct 11, 2005, 12:56 PM

The US has no change in ship times. This makes me doubt any new updates tomorrow. Traditionally the ship times always go up to a couple of weeks in the days before an update.

flanders
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2005, 03:43 PM

The US doesn't have a change for stock pb's but if you BTO then some are saying 1-2 weeks.
MBP C2D 2.16Ghz 15" Matte, 2GB RAM

mad_nasty_nizzle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2005, 06:44 PM

what ever happened to the whole rumor about how the next form factor for powerbooks may include an ("iSight mini", let's call it)? it may not be now seeing how there's a 90% chance of no new powerbook update, let alone a new form factor, but no one's brought that up.
2002 12" iBook Dual USB 800MHz/30GB/640MB/Combo/AirPort
2003 3rd Gen iPod 10GB in BAD condition i need one of those spiffy new 20GB color screen ones :(
2004 iMac 1.25GHz/80GB/1GB RAM/SuperDrive/AirPort Extreme

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 11, 2005, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by mad_nasty_nizzle
there's a 90% chance of no new powerbook update
Huh?

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2005, 09:18 PM

No PowerBooks for anyone.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2005, 10:16 PM

The PB updates, if any, are for sure not the news tomorrow. The news are the new generation of HD based iPods, probably the size of a iPod mini or smaller, with 80 GB and longer battery-life. There will be no vpod or so. I guess/know the screen, the size and the battery-life are the news of tomorrow.

Unfortunelately there will not be any intel PBs out before more SW is ported

Ask yourself why they removed the iPod mini.
How can a boring thing such as a mac or a PC be so exciting??

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 01:40 AM

Considering the shipping turnaround for PBs from Apples website is 24hours with free shipping, I highly doubt we will be seeing any new PBs. It shoud be apparent by now that every time Apple gets ready to release something, they let the current stock run out, increasing the shipping times. Only thing I see taking time to ship are High End G5 towers. Also, Stevie J usually reserves big annoucements for WWDC or Macworld to build hype so everyone buys on impulse that instant, not to a small group of selected few.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

powerbook911
Oct 12, 2005, 02:15 AM

I highly doubt any Powerbook updates tomorrow. The ship times being 24 hours pretty much rules this out.

Looks like it will be music related announcements. Mac updates in a week or two, hopefully.
12" Powerbook G4 1.5 GHZ, 1.25GB RAM, 80g, Superdrive
17" iMac Core Duo 1.83 GHZ, 1.5GB RAM
20" Cinema Display
60g iPod w/Video
iPod Shuffle (512 MB)

salaryman
Oct 12, 2005, 04:47 AM

The UK store is still showing 5-8 days for all standard 15" and 17" PB set ups. Despite the US store having 24 hours ship time, I still think there will be an update primarily because the current PBs are looking tired.

crooner
Senior User
Oct 12, 2005, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
<snip>

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2005, 03:04 PM

no PB.
no PM.

I do feel like Apple abandonned the Pros.
Who would buy a xx monts old computer?...

tenj0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2005, 03:10 PM

NO!! its the vpod.. and isight imac..

ghoti_9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2005, 03:18 PM

I am very suprised with the new iMac. I thought that the dual core PM was a given. The consumer models certainly seem to get a lot more attention these days...which makes sense, since most of the iPod halo effect would be on the consumer level. I am Jonesen for a PB, though, and really don't want to wait until next summer to get one that is a good value.

Forum Links
Forum Rules