Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP, Apple's policy on the whine?

MBP, Apple's policy on the whine? (Page 2)
inkhead
Senior User
Jul 26, 2006, 04:01 PM

Why does everybody download that mirror widget? I don't get it. Just fire up PhotoBooth in your dock, and HIDE it. done, and done.

Originally Posted by salaryman
I found that if you upgrade to MacOS 10.4.7 then the mirror widget fix doesn't work any more. I reckon you should send it back and get it fixed!

MickeyZ
Jul 26, 2006, 08:07 PM

I had CPU whine and my MBP was getting hot. I called Apple service (Mactivate in Dublin, Ireland) and told them my MBP 15" had problems with whine and heat. I also told the person I was talking to that I read about the new main logic board that was supposed to fix the problems I had. He was very helpful and said they were aware of the issues and arranged the collection of my MBP telling me they will replace the logic board with the new one. 3 days later I got my MBP back. The whine is gone and the MBP runs cooler, here are the temps while running on battery:
- idle: 38 - 42C
- full load: 68 - 72C

When running connected to power supply the temps are:
- idle: 47 - 51C
- full load: 70 - 75C

After logic board replacement the Serial Number in System Profiler says: SystemSerialNumb. Before I sent MBP in I asked whether they could program my original serial number into the new logic board, but they said they couldn't. However I read on one of the forums someone got it done. Also, the Machine Model in System Profiler now states: MacBookPro1,1 but I don't remember what it was before I sent it in.

Mickey
15" MacBook Pro, Intel i7 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

hemant
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2006, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead
Why does everybody download that mirror widget? I don't get it. Just fire up PhotoBooth in your dock, and HIDE it. done, and done.
Well you need to keep PhotoBooth on (even though its hidden) which takes up system resources where as with the mirror widget you launch it then shut it down put the computer to sleep once and the whine is gone and you are not utilizing any system resources.

hemant
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2006, 08:22 PM

My machine model says MacBookPro1,1 too, so that has not changed.

Originally Posted by MickeyZ
I had CPU whine and my MBP was getting hot. I called Apple service (Mactivate in Dublin, Ireland) and told them my MBP 15" had problems with whine and heat. I also told the person I was talking to that I read about the new main logic board that was supposed to fix the problems I had. He was very helpful and said they were aware of the issues and arranged the collection of my MBP telling me they will replace the logic board with the new one. 3 days later I got my MBP back. The whine is gone and the MBP runs cooler, here are the temps while running on battery:

After logic board replacement the Serial Number in System Profiler says: SystemSerialNumb. Before I sent MBP in I asked whether they could program my original serial number into the new logic board, but they said they couldn't. However I read on one of the forums someone got it done. Also, the Machine Model in System Profiler now states: MacBookPro1,1 but I don't remember what it was before I sent it in.

cougar337
Jul 26, 2006, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the informations guys! I have been living with the whine since I got the 15" MBP back in March! I called AppleCare and I told them I had a high pitched whine.

He asked me where the sound was eminating from, I told him from the upper left of the keyboard, near the screen. He asked me where on the keyboard I thought the sound was coming from. I told him "under the ESC key". I also told him that it appears that it only happens when the laptop is idle and the sound goes away when the processor is under load or when I turn on my iSight.

He said I qualify for a repair and that he would send a box. 7-10 days for the repair

So we'll see when I get the MBP back if it's better. also I'm hoping that I can actually see the temps of the laptop now, I couldnt before. All the programs out there just would not read the info, dunno.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2006, 03:09 AM

The whine is gone and the MBP runs cooler, here are the temps while running on battery:

Could you give those numbers for your MBP before the repair? I'd like to compare.

olli_g
Jul 27, 2006, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by cold aspiration
You should try calling applecare when you get the time, the whine shouldn't be something you are forced to put up with.
Here in Switzerland you cannot send in a Apple notebooks anymore, but instead they are all repaired at local retailers that have an certified repair technician. You can bring it there in the morning and get it back in the afternoon.

Luckily, there is such a repair center in Zurich (not far from my place), and I know a repair technician who works there. I made an appointment with him on August 8th (because he's on vacation the next week) for a new logic board and a new fan (the right fan seems to hit something or to have a damaged bearing).

I'll got to the university and study or whatever, and a few hours later I can pick up my repaired MBP. This is a much better solution than to wait for 1-2 weeks... I'll let you know of the results.

MickeyZ
Jul 27, 2006, 07:03 AM

The whine is gone and the MBP runs cooler, here are the temps while running on battery:

Could you give those numbers for your MBP before the repair? I'd like to compare.
Before the logic board replacement the temps were about 10 - 15C higher and I couldn't hear the fans as often/loud.

Mickey
15" MacBook Pro, Intel i7 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2006, 07:03 AM

Re: same-day repairs in Zurich

How do they do that?

Authorized repair centers generally do not get ANY spare parts from Apple unless they are explicitly ordered for a specific serial number. And any unused or replaced parts MUST be returned within only a few days, else they are no longer billed as "replacement" parts, which makes them MUCH more expensive and no longer a warranty service.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2006, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by olli_g
Here in Switzerland you cannot send in a Apple notebooks anymore, but instead they are all repaired at local retailers that have an certified repair technician. You can bring it there in the morning and get it back in the afternoon.
Wow, that sounds l a lot better than what I experienced 9 months ago. I brought my PB to the dealer (Letec in Zurich), they sent it off to some repair shop in Solothurn where it sat for nearly three weeks. They then sent it back to the dealer where I got to pick it up. And the dealer also wanted 80 Francs just for the paper work because I bought the PB at Apple.ch instead of from him.

Luckily, there is such a repair center in Zurich (not far from my place), and I know a repair technician who works there. I made an appointment with him on August 8th (because he's on vacation the next week) for a new logic board and a new fan (the right fan seems to hit something or to have a damaged bearing).
Would you mind telling me which shop that is and what the guy's name is? I'm afraid my MBP needs to go in too because I have that same fan-sounds-like-it's hitting-something problem as well as the CPU whine.

How did you go about scheduling repair? Did you call AppleCare, get a case number and then organize the warranty repair with your technician or do you go directly to him? Did you buy the Mac there already or do they repair all Macs under warranty regardless of where you bought them?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2006, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
Re: same-day repairs in Zurich

How do they do that?

Authorized repair centers generally do not get ANY spare parts from Apple unless they are explicitly ordered for a specific serial number. And any unused or replaced parts MUST be returned within only a few days, else they are no longer billed as "replacement" parts, which makes them MUCH more expensive and no longer a warranty service.
I'm just guessing. They could diagnose the issue, send you back home with your Book, and order the parts in the meantime. When they get the parts they do the swap for you within a few hours.
I suppose it should be possible. It might not be the standard, but actually, that's the way all repairs should be handled. If you use your Mac for work, how can they expect you to be without it for a week or two? Not even home users would want to put up with that.

olli_g
Jul 27, 2006, 09:59 AM

Normally, you'd have to visit their store for analysing, getting the serial number, etc. Then they order the parts and call you to come by again when the parts arrived.

But because I know this guy, I just gave him my serial number through e-mail, told him that the right fan and the logic board needed to be replaced and he ordered the parts today. I don't think that he can do this for everyone this way.

I'm quite sure you can just call DataQuest in Zurich and make an appointment with them to get a repair procedure that doesn't require you to be without your notebook for 2 weeks.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2006, 01:06 PM

I'd stay away from Dataquest as much as possible. They ruined a perfectly mint (apart from a dead HDD) PowerBook of mine a while back. Every time I gave it back for repair they managed to fsck up something else. In the end the top case was dented and scratched, the bottom case was scratched, the SuperDrive was destroyed, the AP antenna cable had been severed. The whole ordeal took 4 weeks until I confronted the boss of their technical division. They finally agreed to give me another PB to make up for their blunders. Needless to say I reported this incident to Apple Switzerland and they told me that I was not the first customer with such a 'repair' experience at Dataquest. My university lab has actually stopped buying for them for similar reasons. Sorry to say, but I wouldn't go near the place anymore.

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2006, 01:40 PM

... Here is an update of my repair status. It has been on hold pending the receipt of parts. This is strange for me because in the past, my ibook has been received, repaired, and sent out all in the same day. Anyway, I called to ask about my baby (17" MBP) and the repair rep said that they are waiting on parts and it is the fan, and a new logic board. This is good news because I hear that the MBL fixed everyones whine and I'm sure the fan will help with my MBP heat, even though I didn't even mention it to the applecare rep (didn't bother me much). Heres to hoping i get my MBP soon ... its so hard to live without it!!

hatim
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2006, 01:52 PM

Any idea if they will honour the warranty for the regular macbooks?

dahcar
Jul 28, 2006, 08:15 PM

Well, i just picked up my MBP 15 from the Apple store today. First off, they gouged the top of the computer casing, so i left it there to be replaced. luckily that only took a couple hours.

There is a REDUCTION in whine. It's not completely gone, but i don't really notice it until i put my ear close to the top left. My heat has gotten worse; however, i guess it's normal now. Mine used to idle at 26C, which was amazing. Now it's up to 31C. For some reason mine ran unusually cool, but i'm happy with it now that the whine is nearly inaudible.

If you have the choice between sending it in and taking it to the store, i would suggest mailing it. At the store they only replace what you ask for, but apparently when you send it in they do a check on everything and are replacing more than just the logic board.
( Last edited by dahcar; Jul 28, 2006 at 10:50 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2006, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by dahcar
My heat has gotten worse; however, i guess it's normal now. Mine used to idle at 26C, which was amazing. Now it's up to 31C. For some reason mine ran unusually cool, but i'm happy with it now that the whine is nearly inaudible.
How did you measure those temps? Are those surface temps?

dahcar
Jul 29, 2006, 09:31 AM

CoreDuoTemp

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2006, 04:37 PM

That's much too low if it's supposed to be the CPU die temp.

walter99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2006, 09:10 AM

Just got my MacBook Pro back from repair (only took one day at my local Apple certified service partner) and the whine is much better now - however, it's not gone completely. It also seems to be more varying (whine/no whine).

Anyway, I think I can get along now without QuietMBP.

BTW: my Serial Number is also SystemSerialNumb - I guess that's normal when the motherboard is replaced?

Sorry, forgot to measure the temperature before the motherboard exchange..., but it's definiteley not cooler than before.

olli_g
Aug 2, 2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by walter99
Just got my MacBook Pro back from repair (only took one day at my local Apple certified service partner) and the whine is much better now - however, it's not gone completely. It also seems to be more varying (whine/no whine).
I heard that the whine is not completely gone but so quiet, that you'd have to put your ear on the keyboard to hear it.

Do you hear the whine when sitting in front of your 15 inch MBP?

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by walter99

Anyway, I think I can get along now without QuietMBP.

BTW: my Serial Number is also SystemSerialNumb - I guess that's normal when the motherboard is replaced?

Sorry, forgot to measure the temperature before the motherboard exchange..., but it's definiteley not cooler than before.
What part did they replace? Mine has been sitting at thhe apple repair center for over a week waiting on a part, the logic board.

ChrisF
Senior User
Aug 2, 2006, 02:31 PM

Has anyone in the US been able to get the logic board replacement done at an independent service provider or do they all need to go to the Apple depot or an Apple store?

walter99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2006, 05:44 AM

The whine is definitely recongizable without putting the ear on the keyboard, however, I realized that now it's only present while the power adaptor is plugged in, not on battery power. At least while working on battery I can quit QuietMBP to save battery power.

In my case they "just" replaced the logic board, the whole work only took a few hours.

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2006, 01:09 PM

Another update ... they have had my MBP for over two weeks now. Still waiting on a part. The 7th business day has just past without anything happening. I am going to call them again when the store opens monday, this is ridiculuous.sdjflskd;jfk. I get the feeling that the tech jsut put mine aside and everyone sort of... forgot about it? Or maybe someone is using at as their pet project. Argh..

eplugplay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2006, 11:49 PM

are the new logic boards really make your macbook pro totally silent or is it that it has a slight whine that you can barely hear??

kpne1home
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2006, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by eplugplay
are the new logic boards really make your macbook pro totally silent or is it that it has a slight whine that you can barely hear??
I can no longer hear the whine when I'm using my computer. The only possible way to hear it is when you put your ear down to the escape key and try to listen. It's like night and day after the fix. I recommend you do it, I sent my computer in on a tuesday night and I received it back this fine monday morning at 11 am.

jleblanc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2006, 03:50 PM

I just called Apple Support for the CPU whine and Heat noises I'm having with my 15" mbp. Depsite the 20 minutes on hold waiting to speak with a real person the call went rather quickly. Gave them my serial number and paid them for the $350 for three years of AppleCare and explained to them that my CPU was whining and that it gets so hot that I scortch my wrists while typing for extended amounts of time. The rep said it was a known issue and gave the the option for instore or depot repair with no trouble shooting and no questions asked. I of course chose depot. The box should arive on Monday and he said the repair takes 3-7 days.
( Last edited by jleblanc; Aug 12, 2006 at 06:07 PM. )

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2006, 05:46 PM

^ yeah, all the 15"ers seem to have absolutely NERO trouble getting their whine fixed. The 17" on the hand .... Look at this thread: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=304949

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2006, 06:17 AM

I like to ask some of you how you requested certain parts to be replaced because I don't want to come off like I am about to chop off someone's nuts if they don't get it fixed. I want to be nice about it, but firm that certain parts NEED to be replaced w/o being rude or pushy.

I "had" a whine until I used Speedit's whine cancellation program which I can't or don't know how to remove. But I guess they'll format the machine and listen to it then anyways. But the whine is annoying, it varies w/ cpu load and at HIGH cpu load it's nearly inaudible. And when the mbp is charging, the left upper underside gets scorching freakin' HOT! It's probably nearly a 10* difference from other parts of the mbp. But hopefully the whine mlb will fix that.

And my right fan is totally FCUKED up, when I play anything 3D and spins up, it sounds like someone running a tree branch on a bicycle wheel and at times gets REALLY loud.

The paint on the slanted indentation under the spacebar started to chip for no apparent reason.
To make things even worse, the keyboad and bottom panel have cosmetic damage and gaps to it. It's so annoying.

Do you think my warranty will take care of all of this or will they give me a new machine?

EDIT: Well, I called AppleCare today and the first thing the guy tried to do was sell me AppleCare and that I should have it brought into one of the Apple Stores to have my problems looked at. But luckily I already did that and I firmly told him about my problems and attempted some useless software technical support which didn't work.

And geez, I had to wait nearly 30 minutes and the conversation was 20 minutes itself. Anyways.

The dude was pretty nice, he didn't offer to send out a box, but after I told he realized it was a hardware issue, he gladly sent out a box for me to have my issues looked at. He told me most people that ask for boxes really have no issues, don't know where he was going w/ that though.

But I plan to send my mbp in w/ a detailed sheet telling the techs exactly what I think needs to be looked at, and perhaps replaced so they won't miss anything or require me to have it sent in a 2nd time. (i'm a tech myself)
( Last edited by n8236; Aug 14, 2006 at 08:36 PM. )

Augie50
Aug 15, 2006, 08:56 PM

I'm typing from my mac after Apple has had it since Friday for the repair. they replaced the logic board and now only do I no longer hear the whine, nor feel the heat, my battery life meter is indicating that I'm going to get much better life, which make sense if there's less heat generated. HUGE improvement

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2006, 03:39 PM

Dude, that's awesome news! I know for sure my mlb will be replaced, but i'm hoping they replace everything else as well. I"m excited! The box came for me in less than 19 of my call to AppleCare and now it's up to Apple to fix it. I slipped in a sheet of all my problems inbetween the notebook to give them some heads up

Forum Links
Forum Rules