Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > How to test wireless speed?

How to test wireless speed?
MickeyZ
Sep 18, 2006, 11:58 AM

Hi,
Is there an application or a way in MacOS X to test the actual wireless connection speed between MBP and wireless router? I'm using iStumbler to monitor the signal strength/quality (which is within a range of 30 - 70 depending on where MBP is located in the house), but I would like to know what speed I'm getting when the iStumbler shows 35 for example.

Mickey
15" MacBook Pro, Intel i7 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

SWFan
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2006, 12:55 AM

Copy a large file in the 1GB range and simply time it using a stop watch.

MickeyZ  (op)
Sep 20, 2006, 09:46 AM

That would be one way of checking, but time consuming if I wanted instantly to check the wireless speed. More over it would required another computer on a local network to copy the file to. I was looking more for some sort of network application that could test the wireless connection bandwidth and display it (like another column in iStumbler).

Mickey
15" MacBook Pro, Intel i7 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

SWFan
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2006, 10:43 AM

There's no such thing that I can think of because the only way to test speed is by tracking throughput. So your assertion that you don't have other devices to track the transfer means even if you had the software you wouldn't be able to test the throughput. All you'd be testing is your Internet bandwidth which unless you live somewhere in Asia is going to be significantly less than your wireless router's capability.

sparhawk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 04:44 PM

Um I may just be stupid but why don't you just use a free internet speed tester.
Won't it tell you Mbs or is that not enough info for what you are doing or is it more complicated than that?
ibook G4 1.33Ghz 1.25GB Ram Tiger
Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz 1Gig Ram Tiger
Power Mac G4 500Mhz 512MB Ram Panther
Power book G3 333Mhz 256MB Ram Panther

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 05:10 PM

You could just ping your router in the terminal. Go to the Network preference pane, find out what your router IP is (probably like 192.168.1.1), then type

ping 192.168.1.1

into the terminal. As far as I can tell that's what you're trying to do.

Forum Links
Forum Rules