Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > NTL Network

NTL Network
rupert_grimshaw7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2006, 09:14 AM

I'm trying to network an iMac and a Mac Mini together via NTL. I have both computers hooked up through a router which connects to an NTL modem. However, only one computer allows use of the internet at a time. Does anyone have a solution?

MickeyZ
Oct 16, 2006, 09:50 AM

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly - are you saying that when you for example download a webpage in Safari on iMac then downloading a webpage on Mac Mini at the very same time would not work? Or you can connect to the Internet from one computer but not from the other? If the latter then perhaps you have MAC address filtering turned on the router. Or one of the ethernet ports on your router is not functioning - you could try switching the ports used by iMac and Mac Mini. I've broadband from NTL (in Ireland) and their cable modem is connected to Belkin router and all the computers in my home network have no problems you describe.

Mickey
15" MacBook Pro, Intel i7 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

rupert_grimshaw7  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2006, 10:14 AM

Yeah, I can only connect to the internet on one computer but when I restart the system it might be the other computer that connects to the internet, it seems to depend on which computer reboots first, thanks for your help.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 16, 2006, 10:53 AM

It seems that your router is not routing anything but rather is just a hub and the modem connects to the first computer it sees, leaving the other one with no connection.

We share our NTL connection around our house to about 6 computers, the trick is our firewall.
We have an old computer running Smoothwall (Welcome! - SmoothWall). Smoothwall is a dedicated firewall OS built on Linux. Our computer has two network cards in it, one connected to the modem, the red interface and one connected to the LAN, the green interface.
The smoothwall box also acts as a DHCP server which assigns every computer it's own IP address, e.g 192.168.0.xxx. The computers then look for an internet gateway, the smoothwall or they're manually told to look for the smoothwall and they all have their own IP address and share the one internet connection.

If you want to to this, basically you need one old pc, old means old, a 486 can be used but I used a Pentium 1 166mhz, you need to have to NICs in that computer (NIC = Network Interface Card). Connect the modem to one card, set it as the red interface, connect the LAN to the other card set it as the green interface.

I'm sure your router could be used but we need more information on it first.

Forum Links
Forum Rules