Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 24" iMac is a MONSTER!!!

24" iMac is a MONSTER!!! (Page 2)
gurman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by MattJeff
all this talk of displays is almost scaring me out of buying a 15" MBP
Don't be scared. Other than when connected to an external monitor, no laptop (not even a 17-inch) will offer as much screen real estate as a large desktop monitor. If you're purchasing the MacBook Pro as a desktop substitute, think about a monitor for when you use it at home (the MBP can drive a 30-inch DVI display!), but most folks use fewer apps when on the road. I may love lots of monitor real estate, but I can live with a MacBook screen when travelling.

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2006, 06:16 PM

What??? a 24" iMac it's a dream for Pro users! I never thought to buy an iMac for hard work porpuses but today that 24" iMac it's the real solution for web and print designing professionals of today.
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

msuper69
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2006, 09:21 PM

Too Big?

What a silly question.

It's all about what you need or want. There is no 'too big'.

alansky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2006, 04:00 AM

"This isn't eactly a TV set, where every screen size contains the same amount of (so to speak) pixels... Here, if you move away, you won't be able to read. The 12-point text on a 30" screen is exactly the same size as on a 12" PowerBook."

While 12-point text may be the same size on screens of different sizes, one must sit farther away from a larger screen because of its greater brightness to avoid eye fatigue. Turning down the brightness control does not help because the problem is that the eye is being presented with a light source that is too big—that occupies too much of the visual field to be viewed comfortably for long periods of time. Sitting too close to a large screen reduces the amount of surrounding "darkness" that the eye needs in order to balance the scene and avoid over-stimulation.

But if one sits father from a larger screen, isn't it harder to read small text? Yes, of course it is. It's the same problem you face when you buy a new laptop with a higher resolution screen. All the text shrinks but you can't move the screen closer for ergonomic reasons.

The solution, while not perfect, is the same in both instances. One can increase the display size of text on the Desktop, in Finder windows, in email programs and web browsers. When viewing files intended for printing, one can increase the magnification.

The best solution to this problem would be a resolution-independent text engine capable of rastering text on the fly at any desired pixel height, but such versatility has proved to be an elusive goal.
( Last edited by alansky; Oct 9, 2006 at 04:11 AM. )

Chris Paveglio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2006, 08:19 AM

At home i have 2- 21inch monitors, and that is certainly not 'too much'. I can't understand how a 24 iMac could be 'too big'. Just start using it and start doing a couple things at once, you'll appreciate not having to hid every program to see what's behind it.
--Chris
[email protected]
home.ptd.net/~chrispav

vasic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by alansky
While 12-point text may be the same size on screens of different sizes, one must sit farther away from a larger screen because of its greater brightness to avoid eye fatigue. Turning down the brightness control does not help because the problem is that the eye is being presented with a light source that is too big—that occupies too much of the visual field to be viewed comfortably for long periods of time. Sitting too close to a large screen reduces the amount of surrounding "darkness" that the eye needs in order to balance the scene and avoid over-stimulation.
While this may be true for some users, generally, I would disagree with the statement. Eyes are very flexible and very tolerant. This is why we can see well in almost complete darkness, as well as at the beach, where most of the visual field is extremely bright. The level of that brightness is significantly higher than that of an LCD monitor. Obviously, most people would wear dark glasses at the beach, but even that doesn't reduce the brightness level down to that of an LCD (pro photographers can check with the light meter and confirm this).

It is likely that some people get easilly tired looking at a large LCD screen. However, changing the resolution, in order to make pixels larger, in order to move the monitor away, in order to reduce the amount of brightness in the visual field, defies the purpose of a large monitor (which is to have more pixels). For those who get eye fatigue when looking at a monitor, this presents a problem without adequate solution. In a way, it does not differ from working at a desk with lots of papers (and a banker's desk lamp), when your eyes get tired from looking at all this white paper. Standing up (or away) from the paper doesn't help; reducing the light only helps so much. In the end, the only help is (what doctors recommend anyway) taking frequent breaks and doing something else in between.

experimental
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2006, 09:39 AM

I've had the pleasure of daily used 20inch iMacs since day one and I'm now on a perfect 2.1Ghz which is a year old.
My jaw did indeed hit the floor when I clocked the 24 inch version with affordable memory and Graphics card options...... desire, drool, cash, buy, get, want, need, must get. All those extra tool windows and colours I can have! Hope my teeth stay good so I can have one soon.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2006, 11:00 AM

Man this thread has attracted a lot of newbs.

pimpmymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2006, 01:29 PM

What's your point, Dakar?

donparr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2006, 02:37 PM

After having "Maggie," my 24-inch "super-go-mama" iMac, for almost a month now, I can testify that she most certainly is not a Monster! Rather, she is the most Beautiful, Productive and just plain Awesome computer I've ever owned - Mac or PC ! For what it's worth, there you have it .
iMac 24-inch 2.16 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB DDR SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM
250GB HDD
iBook G4 - 14”
OSX “Tiger” 10.4.8
~ Saving one animal won’t change the world, but the world will change for that one animal. ~

atc ben
Oct 9, 2006, 06:23 PM

Could anyone tell me the external dimensions of their 24" iMac? I want to see how it'll fit on my desk.
-Ben- 15" Macbook Pro 2.33, 2GB RAM, 160HD, Matte
My

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2006, 07:54 PM

According to Apple.com:

Size and weight (24-inch)

* Height: 20.6 inches (52.3 cm)
* Width: 22.6 inches (57.4 cm)
* Depth: 8.1 inches (20.7 cm)
* Weight: 24.7 pounds (11.2 kg)(5)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2006, 07:57 PM

I saw the 24" iMac and thought the screen size was nice, and it would be easy to use... if it seems too big, just move all your windows to the middle of the screen...

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2006, 08:35 PM

If you don't like it, I suggest you not buy it.
If you buy it, and don't like, right out of the box take it back.
If you buy it and don't like it and don't take it back you get zero symps.

(Or, just put your hand around the last three inches and prevent it, so many iMacs so litle time.)

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2006, 09:58 PM

im typing this on a 24" imac at the pasadena store...

ill i could say is WOW.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2006, 04:12 AM

(I think he meant "all"). iRez rawks! Dude, I need a nickel bag, you holding?

Gunbucker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2006, 05:09 AM

One member here highlighted the point about the text size being the same regardless of the screen size. Also, due to the screen brightness, it seems sitting too close to the screen isn't exactly going to be comfy.

So what is the optimal viewing distance for the 24 inch iMac, taking into consideration of font size and viewing angle?

Thanks!
GB

Dakar
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2006, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by pimpmymac
What's your point, Dakar?
I don't have one. It's called an observation.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2006, 12:20 PM

whoopsie...i DID mean to type all.

i think imma hold on to my mbp and just upgrade from my 20" to a 24" lcd at home instead, but maaaaannnnn....if i didnt have a mac right now, i'd definitely jump on the 24" imac (and by jump i dont mean literally).

pimpmymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2006, 05:05 PM

Gunbucker, my eyes are ~30" from the screen and centered on 1/3 down. It feels quite comfortable. Though, as mentioned earlier, at night when my eyes are a bit tired the brightness is a little overwhelming. Helps to keep the rest of the room lit well.

Dakar, now that I see the goal of 5k I completely understand the point... quantity over quality. Savvy. Generally, "newb" is considered a derogatory term used to infer that the newcomer comments may be based on little to no experience. Further, referring to newcomers as "newbs" acts as a catalyst to ensuing witty yet petty posts that are sometimes referred to as flames. At this point, you may have opined that I am a "flaming newb". I am neither. I am a product of the 60's, got my first Mac in 85, resistant to change, and have roughly the same internal and external body temperature as any other Mac owner.

[print]Countdown to 10[/print]
when sum=10, then [print]Countdown to 20[/print]

;-)

Noscito
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2006, 05:52 PM

Got my 24" today.... it's big, it's huge and I LOVE IT!
iMac 24" 2.16 C2D 2GB RAM 500 GB HD 7600GT

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2006, 06:13 PM

thats what she said...

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2006, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Noscito
Got my 24" today.... it's big, it's huge and I LOVE IT!
You lucky boy!!

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2006, 08:03 PM

LOL hahahaha!

atc ben
Oct 11, 2006, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by pimpmymac
Dakar, now that I see the goal of 5k I completely understand the point... quantity over quality. Savvy. Generally, "newb" is considered a derogatory term used to infer that the newcomer comments may be based on little to no experience. Further, referring to newcomers as "newbs" acts as a catalyst to ensuing witty yet petty posts that are sometimes referred to as flames. At this point, you may have opined that I am a "flaming newb". I am neither. I am a product of the 60's, got my first Mac in 85, resistant to change, and have roughly the same internal and external body temperature as any other Mac owner.

;-)
You sound like a cool person. Welcome to the board.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2006, 10:17 PM

^^^ What he said. Welcome to the board pimpmymac!

I've notice that there are quite a few "experienced" users of this board with thousands of posts who are just, to put it bluntly, assholes. When they feel they're losing an argument, they resort to insulting people. They often assume the worst, or always look on the bad side of things. My advice is to ignore them.

Note that the above paragraph was not meant to imply in any way whatsoever that Dakar falls under that category of forum-goer.

Anyway, welcome to the board, and enjoy!
Linkinus is king.

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2007, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by pimpmymac View Post
Helps to keep the rest of the room lit well.
You should always keep your surroundings well lit. It is the constant readjustment to differing light levels that tires your eyes.

Must say Forums usually are a mixed bag of opinions, usually by people who don't even make sense to themselves, but this takes the cake!

A large screen/workspace is always an advantage just as it is in real life. Try carrying on a business perched on a stool with all your paperwork scattered in a pile on a small round coffee table. That is exactly what most people are doing with their computers.

Apple has finally offered a relatively low cost all-in-one with the muscle and acreage suitable for professionals. Not only that but it ALSO allows a second monitor, so you can keep your palettes off your workspace.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2007, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Don't you know that screen size directly relates to penis size? Duh!

(That's why I'm waiting for Apple to release their 48"er)

But seriously folks, the 24" iMac is a sweeeeet beast. I'm getting one this weekend! Woot!
Actually, the larger it is, the smaller your member is in reality. Thus "compensating for something" means you buy a huge thing to make people think you have a huge thing. You buy a large thing if you have a small thing and want people to think you have a larger thing.

I for one want to drive a Mini Cooper and own a Mac mini. I don't need to compensate.

Did I just type that??

On topic, I want an iMac 24" too, but now that you mention it, maybe it might be too big for me. I'll have to try it out a lot in person before I buy it when the time comes. Maybe I'll end up saving money and getting a 20". Won't matter anyway since I'll be hooking my other 20" to it so I'll have lots of real estate anyway.

I'll be getting whatever I get when I pay off my car being fixed. Hopefully by then there'll be at least one more update to the whole line.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2007, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post
... I want an iMac 24" too, but now that you mention it, maybe it might be too big for me. ...
You'll get used to it (but remember to use lots of lubricant the first time)!!

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 18, 2007, 11:04 AM

Actually, the larger it is, the smaller your member is in reality. Thus "compensating for something" means you buy a huge thing to make people think you have a huge thing. You buy a large thing if you have a small thing and want people to think you have a larger thing.

I for one want to drive a Mini Cooper and own a Mac mini. I don't need to compensate.

Did I just type that??

On topic, I want an iMac 24" too, but now that you mention it, maybe it might be too big for me. I'll have to try it out a lot in person before I buy it when the time comes. Maybe I'll end up saving money and getting a 20". Won't matter anyway since I'll be hooking my other 20" to it so I'll have lots of real estate anyway.

I'll be getting whatever I get when I pay off my car being fixed. Hopefully by then there'll be at least one more update to the whole line.
Or maybe, guys with small dicks buy small stuff to trick people into thinking they have a large one. I'm well endowed and I still enjoy fast cars and huge monitors, so whatever, I break the mold. And I'd consider the 20" iMac if it had the 7600GT available.....

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2007, 11:21 AM

The 24" iMac is awesome. I'd prefer a 30" iMac though. And yes I'm serious. However, I may buy a 24" DVI monitor eventually to complement the 24" iMac. I would have already, but I don't have enough room right now.

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Or maybe, guys with small dicks buy small stuff to trick people into thinking they have a large one. I'm well endowed and I still enjoy fast cars and huge monitors, so whatever, I break the mold. And I'd consider the 20" iMac if it had the 7600GT available.....
Captured for posterity, cuz it's just so... well... strange.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2007, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
The 24" iMac is awesome. I'd prefer a 30" iMac though. And yes I'm serious. However, I may buy a 24" DVI monitor eventually to complement the 24" iMac. I would have already, but I don't have enough room right now.
Same here, but I've got the 2407WPF and don't have the room for an iMac next to it.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2007, 02:59 PM

Hey, I'm well endowed too. But I like small cars (God I hate driving huge honking trucks or vans or SUV's.) and big computer screens and small video game consoles and big TV's.

Sad, my 20" ACD still has a higher resolution than my HDTV does. And the 24" iMac would dwarf it even more. LOL

17MBPC2D
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2007, 10:28 PM

WTF r u talking about?!?!?!

I've been aching for Apple to come out with a very slim and cutting edge 30" inch or larger iMac w/ at least a Quad core cpu.

/sigh, will this ever happen....24" is still small for my taste, my MBP uses a 46" 1080P LCD as a moniter.

Originally Posted by Kelvasco View Post
I was in John Lewis today and they had 24" iMac on display and it was absolutly huge. I don't know anyone who could use this as a normal everyday computer its just too big. One other thing I am on an iBook G4 1.42ghz and for me its fast and it does everyday stuff but the 24" iMac was ammensly fast and very very responsive.

p.s John Lewis aren't allowing people to use the Mac Pro so I haven't used that yet but after using the iMac I just can't amagine how fast the Mac Pro is.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 01:08 AM

The 46" HDTV you're using has a lower resolution than the 24" iMac you know.

You must have bad eyesight if you require a low resolution on a huge monitor in order to be able to use a computer.

17MBPC2D
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2007, 01:16 AM

You obviously don't understand what 1080p stands for....

My 46" Sharp 1080p has same resolution 1920 x 1200 pixels

The 46" HDTV you're using has a lower resolution than the 24" iMac you know.

You must have bad eyesight if you require a low resolution on a huge monitor in order to be able to use a computer.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2007, 02:00 PM

^sooo...you just have giant pixels? Doesn't sound ideal to me unless you like sitting 10 feet away from your monitor.

The Castel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2007, 07:38 PM

I tried new 24" iMac a few days ago... It is almost 5x faster tha my 20" iMac G5....

It's better than a monster..It seems to be a shuttle
God bless USA

Sorry if my english is not the best, i'm learning this beatiful tongue...
P.S. i love USA!!!

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 14, 2007, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by kildjean View Post
Sigh.

World of Warcraft has to look and run killer in one of them...

Kil
It is an entirely AWESOME experience. Incredible.
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Klipse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2007, 11:02 AM

indeed it's huge.. my only gripe about it is that if they lcd fails, you gotta send the whole thing in.. i prefer to have the freedom to customize my computer parts. iMacs are never for me.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2007, 11:09 AM

I said the same thing for years, (been using macs since 1991), I always thought I would want to be able to customize my setup. I also never had a "spare" monitor sitting around - so If i needed the lcd worked on - the whole computer was shot anyway. The intel imacs finally seemed to have the combo of performance I wanted, so I tried it - and I love it. My 20" core duo imac is the best mac I have ever owned. I had a sawtooth mac that I customized the heck out of (new gpu, new dvd burner, new internal dvd, new proc)...but i LOVE my lcd imac - and I'll prob get another one someday - the all in one is just too slick. It may be the perfect computer.

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2007, 12:06 PM

I use an external 24" Monitor on my MacBook, and it rocks. The only way I would want something smaller would be if I could get the same resolution on a 20".

Forum Links
Forum Rules