Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > logic board or power supply problem

logic board or power supply problem
aaanorton
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2000, 12:56 PM

I have a problem w/ my G4 450. It's been around for some months, but as I almost never shut down, I rarely see it.
Here it is:
I can RESTART fine everytime from Special menu, keyboard shortcut or reset button on front panel.
When I SHUT DOWN, however, I can not start up again. when I hit either power button, the lights (power button, zip, CD) come on and soon I hear my HD clicking away (for a little bit), but there is NO startup chime. Once I get here, nothing works. I can't restart by any means. It is completely dead in the water. I have to hold in power button to shut down again, but then I'm back where I started. I've tried many combinations of startup procedures:

no keyboard shortcuts have any affect on this whatsoever
no USB connected
no anything connected
SCSI card removed
3rd party/Apple RAM removed

Other than USB, Ihave only Monsoon speakers and a PlainTalk mic plugged in. I spoke to several Apple tech guys who had me do the following:

reset CODA (?)
reset PRAM
reset firmware (all settings to factory specs)
remove SCSI card and try from CD

While these things were all quite entertaining, none worked. Several of these seemed promising, but as soon as I added something to my system (USB or SCSI etc.), I went right back to square one.
Tech support finally told me to take it somewhere to be repaired. Consensus being that either (or both) my power supply or logic board is faulty.
Does anybody know of a very comprehensive s/w diagnostic tool to check the logic board and/or power supply, comparable to what Apple service providers would use? If nothing else I would like to see before and after test results if I must take this in for repair. Or does anybody have any other suggestions I might trt?

Thanks in advance,
aaanorton

Forum Links
Forum Rules