Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Insomnia on MBP and 10.4.9

Insomnia on MBP and 10.4.9
SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2007, 08:47 AM

Upgraded this week, and my MBP core dual 2 seems to be able to sleep properly these days.

(hopefully this note won't jinx it!)

As this has been a problem for me for months, I thought I'd post my results to see if it has fixed others.

Clive
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2007, 01:41 PM

Yes, same thing, latest system update seems to have fixed it.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2007, 06:24 PM

I have found that certain apps kill a macs ability to sleep. Imagemagick is one of them.
Since I don't know how to fix it, I just put my machines to sleep manually (CMD-Opt-Eject).

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2007, 10:16 AM

i am having a similarly odd issue.
my Macbook Pro normally just starts right up when i open the screen after closing.
recently though, it is not doing that. is is going to the black screen and hanging out and not starting up correctly. any thoughts?

MickeyZ
Apr 24, 2007, 06:44 PM

I'm not sure what is the cause, but my MBP has also problems with getting out of sleep mode. However I noticed that it happens only when I close the down the screen - it goes to sleep correctly, but when I open the screen up the machine seems to get out of sleep mode, but the screen stays black. When this happens forcing MBP into sleep mode doesn't work, closing and opening the screen again doesn't work, the only way to bring it back up is to force the shutdown. I don't have this problem when I put MBP to sleep with the screen left open.

I noticed this sleep problem after updating the system to 10.4.9.

Mickey
15" MacBook Pro, Intel i7 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2007, 07:11 PM

I have been working hard to figure out what is causing this problem. Today I took the plunge and completely erased the drive on my Rev. A 17" MBP. So far, I have only installed from the original DVD (containing 10.4.6), with the following specific install instructions:

• Include X11
• Don't include localizations
• Include iLife '06
• Don't inlcude trial software

I created my initial account and got to work. Here's what I've noticed.

1. Just as with 10.4.9, I can cause the MBP to wake up by turning the computer over in my hands. It doesn't always happen, but it does most of the time. Since the trackpad and mouse button won't wake the computer, I assume that a key is being pressed as the weight of an upside-down macbook rests on the lid. Either that, or the sudden motion sensor is detecting movement and waking the computer up.

2. With 10.4.6, I can easily wake the computer once it goes to sleep. It only takes one keystroke to wake it every single time.

3. If the computer wakes up while the lid is closed, then opening the lid will cause the computer to go to sleep. (Seriously!) The machine may even respond to your mouse and keyboard for a second or two before it falls all the way asleep and the backlight turns off. If you close the lid now, the machine will usually stay asleep until it's opened again.

So as far as motion waking the laptop is concerned, the problem is either inherent with OS 10.4.6, or is being caused by one of the bundled programs included with the MBP. This is a legitimate concern, as lots of people I know put their laptop to sleep and then carry it around in a laptop or computer bag. It is a mobile computer, after all.

What doesn't happen with 10.4.6 -- or at least hasn't happened this hour so far -- is that annoying condition where the computer falls asleep when the lid is closed and then wakes up five seconds later, only to stay awake forever. I can't test for this problem properly because I need this machine for work, and can't just leave it sitting around for days.

I will test for the sleep problem again once I finish installing all of Apple's updates tonight and see if anything has changed.

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2007, 08:39 PM

My results with a pristine install of 10.4.9 aren't too different than above. I was able to put the machine asleep and wake it probably forty times, using both the power button and the screen hinge. It went to sleep and woke properly every single time -- until I took the laptop home asleep.

Sure enough, jostling around in my bag woke the machine up. When I opened the screen, I saw the desktop for a second, then it disappeared. But here's something I hadn't noticed before: the machine isn't really asleep. The backlight is just off. I pressed the power button to wake the machine up, which brought up the shutdown dialog. Pressing keys like the spacebar even elicited beeps.

I'm even more certain that the keyboard is playing some role in this. With the laptop on a flat surface, closed and asleep, I can press down on the edges of my screen on either side to get it to "rock" back and forth. Then the computer wakes up. Since I know you can wake the computer by pressing any key (even meta keys, like shift and fn), it seems pretty likely that the screen is pressing keys just enough when it is closing that it wakes the machine up.

Anyone know how to disable a keyboard on a Macbook Pro?

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2007, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by MickeyZ View Post
I'm not sure what is the cause, but my MBP has also problems with getting out of sleep mode. However I noticed that it happens only when I close the down the screen - it goes to sleep correctly, but when I open the screen up the machine seems to get out of sleep mode, but the screen stays black. When this happens forcing MBP into sleep mode doesn't work, closing and opening the screen again doesn't work, the only way to bring it back up is to force the shutdown. I don't have this problem when I put MBP to sleep with the screen left open.

I noticed this sleep problem after updating the system to 10.4.9.
this is the same exact thing that is happening with mine.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2007, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by markponcelet View Post
My results with a pristine install of 10.4.9 aren't too different than above. I was able to put the machine asleep and wake it probably forty times, using both the power button and the screen hinge. It went to sleep and woke properly every single time -- until I took the laptop home asleep.

Sure enough, jostling around in my bag woke the machine up. When I opened the screen, I saw the desktop for a second, then it disappeared. But here's something I hadn't noticed before: the machine isn't really asleep. The backlight is just off. I pressed the power button to wake the machine up, which brought up the shutdown dialog. Pressing keys like the spacebar even elicited beeps.

I'm even more certain that the keyboard is playing some role in this. With the laptop on a flat surface, closed and asleep, I can press down on the edges of my screen on either side to get it to "rock" back and forth. Then the computer wakes up. Since I know you can wake the computer by pressing any key (even meta keys, like shift and fn), it seems pretty likely that the screen is pressing keys just enough when it is closing that it wakes the machine up.

Anyone know how to disable a keyboard on a Macbook Pro?
this again sounds exactly like what is happening to me. i am trying to avoid a trip to the store, but i do not think that is possible at this point.

MacBurg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2007, 07:25 AM

My MBP has been having sleep problems for the last 2 moths, but since the latest update, it is behaving as it should. I can now select "Sleep" from the apple menu, and it sleeps, I can now just close the lid and the MBP sleeps. Recently though I have been keeping a close eye on processes running, and I went through and deleted all but 4 widgets, because I rarely use dashboard anyway. I also went to System Preferences and under "Accounts" removed a few programs/processes that were loading at start up.

Its nice to finally be able to just put the MBP to sleep, rather than shutting down every nite.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by MacBurg View Post
My MBP has been having sleep problems for the last 2 moths, but since the latest update, it is behaving as it should. I can now select "Sleep" from the apple menu, and it sleeps, I can now just close the lid and the MBP sleeps. Recently though I have been keeping a close eye on processes running, and I went through and deleted all but 4 widgets, because I rarely use dashboard anyway. I also went to System Preferences and under "Accounts" removed a few programs/processes that were loading at start up.

Its nice to finally be able to just put the MBP to sleep, rather than shutting down every nite.
i will try that and let you know how it works.

Forum Links
Forum Rules