Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > MacBookPro - Upgrade Wireless Card?

MacBookPro - Upgrade Wireless Card?
interfx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2008, 09:16 AM

I have an older MacBookPro 17, and want to know what my options are to upgrade the wireless card to "N" speed? I have a wireless N router in my basement, and the N cards in my dell work great! The existing card (assume it is G) in my MacBookPro does not see the signal hardly at all...

Any advice?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 13, 2008, 09:30 AM

Well it's entirely possible that you could replace the internal mini PCI express wireless card with another one that supported N. You'd have to find one with a chipset that that OS X supported.

It's probably less hassle to go with an external PCI express card though, it may even get a better signal for being external from the laptops metal casing.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 13, 2008, 01:23 PM

There would also be an issue with compatibility of the antennas that are built into the MBP; N systems like to have 3 antennas, not the two usually found on G and B systems. An external, Express Card adapter is a better bet.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MickeyZ
Sep 15, 2008, 06:21 PM

I upgraded the internal mini PCI card in my 1st gen 15" MacBookPro with MacPro upgrade kit card that supports 802.11n. Those cards have 2 antenna connectors, so they are fully compatible with 2 antennas in older MBPs. The card was immediately recognized by MacOS X after power on as a/b/g/n (I had the latest version of Airport software already installed) and is working fine showing 270Mbps connection to Time Capsule. Those MacPro upgrade kits might be hard to find now, but you should still be able to get one on the internet. Besides, a few other companies offer similar cards for older MBP. Check out the links below:
www.powermax.com
fastmac.com
www.sonnettech.com
www.quickertek.com

Mickey
15" MacBook Pro, Intel i7 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2008, 06:40 PM

Pretty cool, I didn't know that was possible.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules