Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > What is best program to dual boot windows on MBP?

What is best program to dual boot windows on MBP?
jonnyz1245
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2008, 01:19 AM

I need to run Windows on my MBP for some work related stuff. I have heard from someone in my ofc that Parellels is the one to get

any suggestions?

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2008, 01:40 AM

I prefer VMware Fusion, mostly because I have to deal with VMware images at work.

The last benchmarks I saw showed VMware being more CPU efficient, whereas Parallels was faster for disk access (IIRC).

jonnyz1245  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2008, 12:39 PM

thanks. I will take a look at that program

ciparis
Oct 20, 2008, 06:02 PM

I second the vote for Fusion. I own licenses to both, and after extensive experience with both, Fusion is the only one I use.

ibook_steve
Oct 20, 2008, 07:10 PM

Your title of this thread is deceiving. Dual booting refers to completely booting into either Windows or Mac OS X does. Your question refers to "virtualizing" another OS withing Mac OS X, not dual booting. I can change the thread title if you like.

With that out of the way, I will recommend Parallels over Fusion (you can find many threads about this including my own).

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

misterdna
Nov 18, 2008, 12:19 PM

I'm going to piggy back my own question to this thread. I'm a Mac user who has no clue about the Windows world, but I would like to add Windows to my Mac. Aside from VMWare vs. Parallels (I had thought VMWare was the favored program, but I guess it's not so clear), is there a recommended version of Windows? I don't have a specialized need.

I see Yahoo offers VWWare + "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition FULL VERSION with SP2" for $233, how do you feel about that package?

Finally, will I be able to install both products (assuming I were to buy the above) on my desktop and laptop, or will I be limited to one install?

Thanks!!!

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by misterdna View Post
I'm going to piggy back my own question to this thread. I'm a Mac user who has no clue about the Windows world, but I would like to add Windows to my Mac. Aside from VMWare vs. Parallels (I had thought VMWare was the favored program, but I guess it's not so clear), is there a recommended version of Windows? I don't have a specialized need.

I see Yahoo offers VWWare + "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition FULL VERSION with SP2" for $233, how do you feel about that package?

Finally, will I be able to install both products (assuming I were to buy the above) on my desktop and laptop, or will I be limited to one install?

Thanks!!!
Since you can buy VMWare Fusion from their site for $79.99 and XP SP3 (home) for $89.99 from TigerDirect (total price $169.98), I'd say that Yahoo! bundle isn't so hot. Without looking into it, I think you can only legally install on one computer - read EULAs to be sure. But Windows XP is not dual CPU aware. It is dual-core aware, but if you have a MacPro and have programs that can use multiple CPUs you may want to get XP Pro.

misterdna
Nov 18, 2008, 01:10 PM

Okay, thanks for the tips on XP Pro and TigerDirect. So it's definitely one of these versions of XP you recommend, not some version of Vista, or something else?

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2008, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by misterdna View Post
Okay, thanks for the tips on XP Pro and TigerDirect. So it's definitely one of these versions of XP you recommend, not some version of Vista, or something else?
I just reinstalled XP SP3, but Microsoft said they will stop supporting it in 2009 (article: http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9070119). I dislike Vista, but it's a personal decision. Go to a computer store and try it out and deciede for yourself, then shop for Vista or XP on a discount site (or a college if you're a student/teacher).

Forum Links
Forum Rules