Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Folders Hotkeys and IMAP Inbox Subfolders

Folders Hotkeys and IMAP Inbox Subfolders
hanguolaohu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2009, 06:51 AM

Hi,

I have 2 questions about Apple Mail while using on an IMAP system:

1. I have an IMAP account setup to work with Apple Mail, but any additional folders I create are not under my Inbox, but instead under another subheading which was created at the root level of my server. What's annoying is when I search in Mail, it doesn't search that subfolder as well. My belief is that if the folder was under my Inbox then it would search all my mail. Any way to create these folders under my Inbox?

2. When I finish reading an e-mail in my Inbox, I like to place it in a folder called "Filed". Does Apple Mail have a built-in keyboard shortcut for this function? Are there any good and simple 3rd party add-on's for this function? I checked out www.hawkwings.net and there seem to be so many to choose from.

Thanks,
Alexander

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2009, 02:18 PM

I'm not sure I understand your #1, but there should not be a way to create folders that are not a part of your INBOX hierarchy while still being on the server. When you create a new folder, what options are available to you?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by hanguolaohu View Post
2. When I finish reading an e-mail in my Inbox, I like to place it in a folder called "Filed". Does Apple Mail have a built-in keyboard shortcut for this function? Are there any good and simple 3rd party add-on's for this function? I checked out www.hawkwings.net and there seem to be so many to choose from.
http://www.indev.ca/MailActOn.html. Not cheap though.

I us the old version 1.3, which is now free. Works well.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2009, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by hanguolaohu View Post
1. I have an IMAP account setup to work with Apple Mail, but any additional folders I create are not under my Inbox, but instead under another subheading which was created at the root level of my server. What's annoying is when I search in Mail, it doesn't search that subfolder as well. My belief is that if the folder was under my Inbox then it would search all my mail. Any way to create these folders under my Inbox?
Actually, I think what you're talking about is just how Apple Mail displays the folders. On your IMAP server, they still reside underneath your account / Inbox.

Try the following: got to Mail - Preferences - Accounts Advanced

Thereis a field called "IMAP Path Prefix". Right now, you probably have "INBOX" in there.
Delete that, and close the account setup.

All your folders should now appear underneath your Inbox.

-t

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2009, 08:16 PM

You might try a macro toolkit like iKey or Quickeys. It's trivial to write a script to do this and map it to a custom key.  

I use iKey and have dozens of macros for Mail that I use.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Actually, I think what you're talking about is just how Apple Mail displays the folders. On your IMAP server, they still reside underneath your account / Inbox.

Try the following: got to Mail - Preferences - Accounts Advanced

Thereis a field called "IMAP Path Prefix". Right now, you probably have "INBOX" in there.
Delete that, and close the account setup.

All your folders should now appear underneath your Inbox.

-t

Apple has some really funny ideas about email systems should work. This is a good example. Your folders are children of the Inbox parent for a reason, and simply trying to skirt around this by showing people otherwise with the IMAP path prefix automatically set without you explicitly setting this doesn't change this. I don't know if this has changed, but there was a time when this bizarre preset didn't even produce the same results with each IMAP server.

If you want to create your own standards, write your own thing, draft an RFC, submit it, get it approved. In the meantime, abide by the standards that have been established rather than trying to counteract them.

I'm sure this also creates confusion migrating to and from OS X Mail as well...

Oh well, reason 23948290348 why OS X Mail is a lousy IMAP client.

Forum Links
Forum Rules