Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > .WMA to .AVI

.WMA to .AVI
iKwak
Dec 28, 2003, 12:36 AM

I transferred my digital videos to my pc and want to burn the videos to a CD.
However, all the videos are in .WMA format.

Not sure if .WMA can be played on an Apple iBook.

How can I convert the videos to .AVI so it can be viewed on an iBook?
Or are there other recommendations besides .AVI that can be viewed on a Mac? TIA.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2003, 04:29 AM

WMA is an audio format. WMV is a video container format. WMV is the same format as ASF. ASF can store video in a number of codecs, such as MS-MPEG4v1, MS-MPEG4v2, MS-MPEG4v3, WMV1, WMV2 and WMV3 (Windows Media 7, 8 and 9, respectively). If your files are the MS-MPEG variety, you can transfer them to avi with VirtualDub 1.3c (later versions had the ASF-reading code removed at MicroSoft's request). Otherwise, you will have to re-encode the files with the likes of EO-Video. On the mac, ffmpeg can decode WMV1 and some of WMV2, but the quality of decoding is poor.

avi support is adequate on the mac, if you use mp3 audio and install the divx.com QuickTime component. Other audio codecs either make large files, won't work in QuickTime, or won't work at all. VideoLan Client plays most common formats that QuickTime doesn't (including ASF, the MS-MPEGs, WMV1 and half of WMV2), but strange audio formats are not it's fort�

if you really meant wma and not wmv, you can use Audion, ffmpeg or MEncoder (on the mac or probably several things on Windows) to convert to mp3 or wav

Forum Links
Forum Rules