Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 2 weeks till I buy my first mac

2 weeks till I buy my first mac
ikeem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2004, 01:08 AM

Hello in 2 weeks, I plan to buy my very first Mac, I will be buying a Apple ibook G4 14in 933mhz, I am also looking for a good webcam to go with it, I know Apple has isight, but are there any other webcams that are really good, and also, I am looking for a good carrying case for my laptop.

All suggestions will be accepted

Thanks ahead of time.

David Lee
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2004, 04:37 AM

I have the same machine, added Bluetooth whcih is great, love the mouse! Also added a 60GB HDD, only 60 buck or so more. It is a great little machine, very fast and so far NO problems at all. I do suggest you backup the original OS 9 Classic system and Application (OS 9) folder to a CD first thing, much easier to simply copy them back to the HDD than re-installing them.
Definitely get as much RAM as you can afford, 256 is simply not enough to do much.
Best of Luck

m_young
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2004, 07:24 PM

make sure you max it out on ram and hard drive space. You wont regret it. I've worked on 1 ghz powerbooks with 256 mb of ram, and my ibook runs better then them. No way to go but 640 mb. And the 60 GB you will wish you had sometime down the road if you don't do it now. Also, get airport if you can afford it. nothing like chillin out on the couch and browsing MacNN. have fun with it.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 08:06 PM

iSight is probably the best webcam, though you may also want to look at the iBot.
http://www.orangemicro.com/ibot.html
As for a case: it depends what you want (price, backpack-style, briefcase-style, etc). Search around these forums- there are tons of threads on the subject.

iKwak
Jan 14, 2004, 04:06 AM

I would stick with iSight for a webcam.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 06:54 AM

Congratulations on your [iminent?] purchase!

1. Webcam

By far, handsdown, the Apple iSight is best for the Mac. You won't be able to use it with the current version of iMovie yet, but you're probably going to be eligible for the iLife upgrade, which will contain the new version iMovie that has support for the iSight. Now it can act as a basic video cam for your mini-projects.

Second on the list would be OrangeMicro's iBot. It isn't as sleek looking as the iSight, but it is cheaper (about $50). The iSight gets plus points for being able to "snap on" to the LCD lid, so you can mount it on top of your laptop while using it.

The rest of the competition is subpar, unless you really want a cheap and basic web cam solution.

2. Carrying Case

Enjoy pursuing this thread: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=178702 -- it details a lot of user's favorites, recommendations, and even comments.

3. Extras

Definitely, DEFINITELY, get Airport Extreme if you don't have it. Wireless is REALLY something else, and I feel that modern laptops should REALLY have this as standard.

RadarBob2
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2004, 03:09 PM

A few dittos:
*max out the RAM. Don't buy it from Apple. Cheaper thru internet retailers.

*Get largest Hard drive for your model.

*Get Applecare. You have until your original warranty runs out (1 year) to purchase it. Extends the warranty 2 more years. The advantage of buying it earlier is that it extends the original 90 day unlimited, free, call-in support to the length of the applecare warranty.

Forum Links
Forum Rules