Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > iMac meet Mac Mini

View Poll Results: What you think of this?
Poll Options:
Good idea? 11 votes (64.71%)
Bad idea? 3 votes (17.65%)
No idea? 2 votes (11.76%)
Done very similar to this already! (not just replaced the logic board!) 1 votes (5.88%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll
iMac meet Mac Mini
mine99
Baninated
May 22, 2006, 08:31 PM

got an indigo iMac G3 off ebay for £50 ... 500mhz model slot loader ... AND also I am obtaining a mac mini duo core .. then it hit me, i'm going to take the lifeless looking mac mini aprt and gut the imac out of its logic board and do a transplant of mac mini into it .... looked it over specs of insides and out and feel its very possible might even replace the CRT with TFT (might have to anyways since the CRT only likes logic G3 boards apparently!!) and put a couple of blue lights in it ...

So anyone ever attempted this or similar (worse i seen is a transplant of PC inti iMac .. how pointless!!! and stupid lol

good idea or BAD!

Madferret
Forum Regular
May 24, 2006, 03:34 AM

I think it's a good idea. While you're in there light upt he back of the case with some cold cathode tubes or LEDs.

quangdiggity
May 24, 2006, 12:55 PM

awesum dawg

however, once u replace the CRT u practically loose the point of mounting it all inside the imac.......

u just have relativly ugly body- with goods inside it....... try to cut the imac box- in a way that it takes up less space

still - kewl

Madferret
Forum Regular
May 24, 2006, 01:49 PM

Ugly? I think the iMac is pretty attractive, way more than an iMac sliced in half. That'd be ugly. You could put something neat in back too, like a firewire HD, some... ohhh yeah! Some apple Pro speakers mounted internally in the back shell! That'd be kinda neat!

quangdiggity
May 24, 2006, 02:06 PM

true.......
like max out the hard disk etc....... give it "mega storage"

and then to make it look cooler give it a new paint job, like matte black as in the macbook
or white like modern macs- so when ppl see it they'll be like: oh, is that a new mac ???
try to install isight too

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2006, 05:42 AM

If we are talking about a PPC Mini, then you could drill out the Microphone hole in the CRT iMac and sneak a camerain there. PPC Minis don't have a mic port anyways.

grinder
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2006, 04:00 PM

We are talking about a core duo mini. But you could always build in a mic. Looks like this thing is going to be expensive as heck.
2,4GHz iMac | 320GB Passport | BT Keyboard | MX Revolution | 4GB iPod nano
Blog | Flickr | deviantART

silkk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2006, 05:21 PM

If for no other reason, do it just to say you did. I am all for thinking outside the box (mini box in this case). Besides, you need a monitor for it anyway, right? I'm all for the idea of maxing out the rest of the empty sell with HD storage as well, just watch your heat levels.

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2006, 06:19 PM

sweetness.....

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2006, 10:26 PM

I thought about doing this with a G4 iMac. I personally can't stand the look of the G3's but man, if you have it, do it! It's such a good idea. And you have tonnes of room in there! You should go all out and throw in an external harddrive. You could even get a powermate, drill a hole in the side of your iMac and stick it through >.< No reason, just because you can. Haha
 Certified AppleCare Technician

Forum Links
Forum Rules