Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > FedEx Lost my MacBook

FedEx Lost my MacBook
eimeria
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 12:34 AM

I recently ordered a Mac Book along with an iPod from the Mac Educational store. I eagerly tracked the progress of the MacBook from Suzhou China to Maryland. I got home from work today and didn't expect to see my laptop delivered yet since the expected delivery date was Aug 21. When I went to check the progress of the Macbook, to my dismay, I found that fedex had delivered it and left it at my front door at 9:49 AM. I do have a signature release with fedex to leave items at my backdoor, inside my porch. They, however, left it at the front door. I went back out to look for it and didn't find it anywhere.

When I called FedEx, they were less than helpful. They said they'd email me a claim form (have yet to recieve it). Has anyone had anything like this happen before? Does fedex usually make good for it? I'm also worried that I won't be able to order a replacement from the educational store since I've purchased my one laptop for the year and I won't be able to take advantage of the rebate offer on the iPod nano I purchased with the MacBook.

Anyone have any advice???

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2006, 12:42 AM

If Fedex plays hardball and refuses to do anything, you can probably submit a claim to your homeowner's insurance company.

Chris

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2006, 12:44 AM

look for someone in the area that recently acquired a brand new macbook and ipod

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2006, 12:51 AM

They didn't so much lose the MacBook, as you stupidly let them leave an expensive, much-coveted item outside your home.

There's no other way to describe. I mean, I'm sorry for your loss, but any thief with half a brain (or even a friend whom you've told you'd be receiving a MacBook) could have easily done the deed.

eimeria  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
They didn't so much lose the MacBook, as you stupidly let them leave an expensive, much-coveted item outside your home.

There's no other way to describe. I mean, I'm sorry for your loss, but any thief with half a brain (or even a friend whom you've told you'd be receiving a MacBook) could have easily done the deed.
Perhaps you did not read my post Tomchu. My signature release gives permission for them to leave packages in my enclosed porch at the rear of my secluded home. Not at my front door as they say they did. Your advice is truly appreciated .

aaardal
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2006, 01:35 AM

That sucks! I had a 20" iMac lost through fedex but it got lost in transit. The vendor did all the leg work for me. Good luck with your claim.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2006, 02:54 AM

I have a signature release on file with FedEx as well, but they wouldn't leave my macbook at the door. They wouldn't even let me go to the facility to pick it up without attempting delivery at least once.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2006, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by cSurfr
I have a signature release on file with FedEx as well, but they wouldn't leave my macbook at the door. They wouldn't even let me go to the facility to pick it up without attempting delivery at least once.
That's pretty dumb of them.
I have to say I've had nothing but good news from Fed Ex this last month. Everything they shipped came on time, and two things came overnight despite me paying the cheapest shipping. Plus they backed into a friend's car causing severe damage, which makes great for teasing him. There's nothing quite like leaving a fed ex box on his car.

"X gonna give it to ya"

That being said let us know how the macbook claim turns out. I'm curious to see how many and what hoops I'd have to jump through if this ever happens.
To be determined later.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 22, 2006, 08:06 AM

Call the police. While it wasn't smart of the FedEx driver to leave the box at the wrong door, somebody taking it is still theft. Once you have a police report, file a claim with your insurance company, and then a complaint with FedEx; the driver left the box somewhere OTHER THAN WHERE YOUR RELEASE CALLED FOR, so they are responsible. Put your insurance company in touch with FedEx and let THEM do the leg work.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 22, 2006, 11:26 AM

I think they are going to give you a hard time as you did sign it off and they can say they left it on the back porch.

"Hello, what have we here?

cavemonkey50
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 12:58 PM

I'd check with your neighbors to see if they happen to have it. I know once I had a monitor shipped to me that was left on the front porch, only to not be there when I got home. Just as I was about to file a claim my neighbor came up to me and told me he took the package inside his house. He said it looked expensive and he didn't think it should just be sitting outside. Maybe you happen have a nice neighbor like that.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by eimeria
Perhaps you did not read my post Tomchu. My signature release gives permission for them to leave packages in my enclosed porch at the rear of my secluded home. Not at my front door as they say they did. Your advice is truly appreciated .
And yet the thing got taken even though your home is secluded. It was a bad idea, regardless of the parameters of the signature release. Remember, if the Fedex guy can go around to your porch and leave something there, then so can any other person off the street.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2006, 05:13 PM

Crock of crap "they lost it"! I'm sure the FedEX peeps stole. See you on't make a lot of money doin' it, but you take other peoples stuff!
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2006, 05:14 PM

And yet the thing got taken even though your home is secluded. It was a bad idea, regardless of the parameters of the signature release. Remember, if the Fedex guy can go around to your porch and leave something there, then so can any other person off the street.
So what is he supposed to do. Drop his house key off at FedEx so they can drop it in his safe in the closet of his guest bedroom when he has a delivery?
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by stwain2003
So what is he supposed to do. Drop his house key off at FedEx so they can drop it in his safe in the closet of his guest bedroom when he has a delivery?
No -- he should master the skill of patience and ask them to deliver at a time that he is home, or simply arrange to pick it up from the depo.

eimeria  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 10:06 PM

No -- he should master the skill of patience and ask them to deliver at a time that he is home, or simply arrange to pick it up from the depo.
Not sure what kind of job you have Tomchu, but my job does not usually allow me to be home during normal hours. By law, I am prohibited from working more than 80 hours per week or more than 30 hours in a row without sleep, but both of those rules get broken all the time. I'm not complaining, that's just the way it is. I'd love to make more dough and have more time at home to spend with my loved ones too, but that's just not in the cards. It's easy to say I should "simply arrange to pick it up from the depo." The simple things aren't always so simple. Early Monday evening, I was telling a woman, her husband, and her daughter, that the fevers she was having was from a very advanced lymphoma. That, in conjunction with the big heart attack that she had just had gave her a likely prognosis of less than 6 months. I could have simply left to go to Fedex after breaking the bad news, but that's certainly not what I would want anyone to do to my parent or spouse. Sometimes the simple just isn't that simple ....

/end rant

FedEx update - I did check with neighbors. They didn't see or recieve anything. Thanks for those suggesting calling the police to file a report. I will do that. FedEx has opened a trace. I doubt they'll find it, but here's hoping.

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2006, 02:22 AM

I had a neighbor (who i've seen but not know) one day knock on my door and the first thing he said was, "did you happen to receive a Dell laptop?" I live in a complex of 8 suites and i don't know if i'm the only one he asked or what, but the first thing that came in my mind was, "you did I stole j00 pos." lol. At that point I didn't have a laptop, but I'm not that sort of person who swopps on other people's property.

I've been stolen from before and I know the pain it causes (car stereo system). Another time I had a UPS guy deliver some big box from somewhere and I immediately found the right address and left it there.

Kharma is really a bitch and I believe that.

I hope you get back what you were looking for.

It's just messed up stealing someone else's package. They should really start putting that magnetic strip behind the driver's license to use. Even USPS checks ID for pickups.

galarneau
Senior User
Aug 23, 2006, 03:04 AM

By law, I am prohibited from working more than 80 hours per week or more than 30 hours in a row without sleep, but both of those rules get broken all the time.
Sounds like my life, except my residency doesn't break the 405 Work Hour Regulations.

What field are you in?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 23, 2006, 10:32 AM

eimeria, unless you tell us, we don't know your profession keeps you odd hours. I do understand-my wife is a nurse with about 15 years experience, and I just finished Gross Anatomy as the first major class in my occupational therapy program. But there are other ways around this than just chucking the job you're doing and heading to FedEx. One is designating an agent, something that FedEx handles quite well. It takes a bit of paperwork, but once that's done, it's no problem for your agent to sign for things, go to the depot to pick them up, etc.

LazyRosy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2006, 12:34 PM

Some years ago I had the same issue, but with a Nintendo Game Cube...turns out the driver who said he "delivered" it actually never came to my house that day, and after two Fed Ex investigators got involved at my insistence, the package mysteriously showed up on my doorstep three days later, on Thanksgiving Day (my son was overjoyed ;-)
I wonder if your Fed Ex driver is "new" or has a history of delivered/missing items?

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2006, 12:47 PM

By law, I am prohibited from working more than 80 hours per week or more than 30 hours in a row without sleep, but both of those rules get broken all the time.
Sounds like your residency program needs to be shut down by the ACGME.

Those are the consequences for breaking the rules. The rules were put in place so the federal government won't step in and impose rules on everyone.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 23, 2006, 02:45 PM

If a resident has medical duties that go beyond the "allowable hours" limit, they can usually continue-like in emergency cases, the one eimeria mentioned above, and so on. And there are supposed to be "accomodations" for both of the rules posted-such as a "doctor's room" for residents to get some sleep while on call and so on. His hospital is not doing anything out of the ordinary.

That is NOT to say that "ordinary" is a good thing. A commercial pilot MUST have a specific number of hours off duty between a given number of flight hours (which include ground time for pre- and postflight checks. This is also true of military pilots unless the mission actually requires a variance-typically requiring intervention by a Wing Commander (this is usually a Brigadier General position). But physicians in training-new ones who have the academics but need experience-are routinely overtasked in this way, to the measurable and demostrable detriment of their patients. The AMA still LIKES this type of program, so that's what the schools and hospitals set up. And why I'm NOT in medical school.

eimeria  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2006, 08:32 PM

I'm a medicine resident at a big name program that has been cited for workhours before.
My program is typically outstanding about ACGME requirements, but there are always times when things unexpectedly go wrong -- the completely stable patient who coded on the CT scanner, the impromptu family meeting to decide whether mom or dad goes to hospice care, etc.

Oh yeah, did I mention it's July and August??? I hope I never get sick at the beginning of the academic year. I think that has had more to do with me being over hours the last month or so than anything else. Sometimes one slow intern can muck up the whole process. I'm a little old fashioned too, which may contribute. I will kick my intern out when they are coming close to their limit and finish up the work myself before signing out. Only 7 days before I can return to the sweet life of a senior resident.
Don't know how the surgical residents do it.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
If a resident has medical duties that go beyond the "allowable hours" limit, they can usually continue-like in emergency cases, the one eimeria mentioned above, and so on. And there are supposed to be "accomodations" for both of the rules posted-such as a "doctor's room" for residents to get some sleep while on call and so on. His hospital is not doing anything out of the ordinary.
Out of the ordinary, yes. There are exceptions in those circumstances. But if it becomes routine, then the ACGME begins to take notice.

He made it sound like they were in flagrant violation of the rules.

neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2006, 01:01 PM

Your signature is required for delivery
Most of our shipments contain valuable computer equipment, so we require that our carriers get a signature when they deliver a package. They won’t leave it sitting on your doorstep.

This is from apple's website!
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
I think they are going to give you a hard time as you did sign it off and they can say they left it on the back porch.
That's only assuming they retract the delivery notice stating it was left at the front door... That would get FedEx in big trouble, so it isn't likely to happen...

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 02:06 PM

Yesterday I had a trombone dropped off by fedex, and there an okay number of steps in front of my house to get to the front door. what the delivery person decides to do is be lazy and put the package right in front of the garage in view of the street and anyone, and when I was getting home I caught some kid trying to take the package. I found out who the kid was, and told him I would call the cops if he tried again, and pretty much shat in his pants. anyways, today i'm going to call fedex and complain about the delivery persons laziness.

Alex

btw, nice sig. Bobby

eimeria  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2006, 09:28 PM

I think it is all going to turn out ok. Apple has started their own query into it. The customer service rep I spoke with today said I should expect a replacement computer shipped out shortly. Fedex was completely useless in the process. I have vacation coming up where I plan on just doing work around the house, so there should be no repeat of the previous problem.

As far as my program goes, yes it has been cited for work rule violations in the past and almost lost accredidation. It made some pretty big ripples as I am at a fairly well known and respected institution in the mid-Atlantic. We have done a pretty good job about complying with the ACGME requirements. It is not all that common that I work more than 80 hours per week. In the past two years, the only times I have exceeded the limit on a consistant basis are in July and August. Not surprisingly, I was the senior resident on the most difficult rotation for new interns. Sometimes it's unavoidable ( eg. pt coding on the CT scanner on the post-call day, or spending time with the pt and family that you just told about their terminal cancer.) Even though I meet the requirements of working 80 hours or less greater than 95% of the weeks of the year, it still seems like 80 hours is a heck of a lot to do at times. Maybe I'm getting old, but I certainly don't have the stamina to keep up with many of the normal activities of life when I'm post call. Thank god I've got a great spouse who supports me. Thank god I'm not an intern anymore. Thank god fellowship is not that far off.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
Yesterday I had a trombone dropped off by fedex, and there an okay number of steps in front of my house to get to the front door. what the delivery person decides to do is be lazy and put the package right in front of the garage in view of the street and anyone, and when I was getting home I caught some kid trying to take the package. I found out who the kid was, and told him I would call the cops if he tried again, and pretty much shat in his pants. anyways, today i'm going to call fedex and complain about the delivery persons laziness.

Alex

btw, nice sig. Bobby
ABSOLUTELY! The suits don't know what the drivers do unless CUSTOMERS tell them. Signature or not, putting a package ('bones can be QUITE expensive-my goddaughter used to play them) right in front of the garage where everybody and his dog can see it and maybe pilfer it is just DUMB.

Remember to be calm and professional about it-yelling at anyone is the wrong thing to do. Explain the details, the difference in distance, and especially that you caught someone trying to steal the package just (as luck would have it) as you were coming home. Logic and facts are what they need to "discuss the issue" with the driver. You can certainly express how unhappy you are with this event-but it won't hurt to say how "unlike FedEx" this sort of thing is and that you've learned to "expect so much more of FedEx"... You get the idea... Facts, calm, to the point. Good luck with it.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2006, 09:47 PM

eimeria, you ain't getting old, you're getting worn down. It's called "progressive exhaustion," a term I coined for the habit the Air Force has of providing less and less support for a task while increasing both the pace and quantity of work required until you're almost literally doing everything with nothing-and then they deploy two or three of your people... You get the idea. Don't let it get you down emotionally-just remember that fellowship!

jafari
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2006, 11:24 PM

FedEx is usually responsible when they understand the situation fully - don't stop talking to whomever you can.

My PowerComputing PowerCenterPro was destroyed in an airplane crash en route to me in 1995 and PowerComputing and FedEx sent a new one right away.

artaxerxes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2006, 11:07 AM

At all my places of employ - universites, international research companies and a bizarre windswept emplacements in Alaska I have become friendly with the mail room staff and had stuff delivered to my work address. I suggest you do the same unless there is a company policy against it. Heartache like this is avoided.
MacBook C2D 1.83GHz 1Gig 120GB Shuffle 512MB

Forum Links
Forum Rules