Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac mini won't start up!

Mac mini won't start up!
grinder
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2006, 09:32 AM

I have a PPC Mac mini (specs in my sig), and it won't start up. Here's what it does: It shows the grey apple on the grey background, it goes into the logon screen (or whatever you call that thing where it says Mac OS X is starting up - the one with the window with the huge apple logo in silver), then it loads the bar until it's full and stays there. the mouse pointer works, the bar is in motion, and the computer is silent. Just that little hum.

I'm freaking out. All my stuff is on there please help
2,4GHz iMac | 320GB Passport | BT Keyboard | MX Revolution | 4GB iPod nano
Blog | Flickr | deviantART

kick52
Baninated
Nov 20, 2006, 03:18 PM

it looks like the OS is corrupted.

you might have to reinstall the OS.

but first, boot of the install dvd/cds, and run disk util on it, see if that finds any problems

chipchen
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2006, 01:38 AM

kick52 sounds right. Sounds like you need to do something called an "Archive and Install"... basically re-install the OS (without erasing your data).

Reboot with the MacOS Install DVD that came with your computer. (you can hold down the letter C while booting up with the disc in. Then go through the options... and when you get to the point to choose your destination hard drive, choose your hard drive and click the "Options" button below. That will give you the option to choose "Archive and Install."

Forum Links
Forum Rules