Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > MS Exchange on iPhone w/o Corporate Data Plan

MS Exchange on iPhone w/o Corporate Data Plan
eimeria
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2008, 12:44 AM

My company just approved iPhones for use with their exchange servers. I got my 3G with a personal data plan. Does anyone know if the corporate data plan is required to use MS Exchange? I've spoken to two different AT&T customer service agents who gave conflicting answers. Thinking about trying a third to break the tie

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2008, 02:48 AM

Just use the personal plan.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

eimeria  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2008, 02:21 PM

IT at my company is insisting I need a corporate plan. Guess I'm going to bite the bullet. They won't even provide the info on the exchange server unless I have a corporate plan. Grrrrr.......

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2008, 10:19 PM

I'd just lie and tell them I had the corporate plan, but I'm a dirty liar.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

Pair of iPhones

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 22, 2008, 10:38 PM

That's what I'd do. The worst that can happen is that it doesn't work and you call ATT to switch it to corporate.

eimeria  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2008, 11:26 PM

Maybe there's an upside to being truthful.

Called AT&T to find out about corporate data plan rates. They said that there is a 24% discount on both the corporate data plan and my family talk plan. After factoring the discount, I'll actually pay less than I did before.
( Last edited by eimeria; Sep 22, 2008 at 11:27 PM. Reason: spelling)

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2008, 06:51 AM

That works out nicely that you pay less, but your IT department is wrong.
I am part of our IT department, half of our employees have iPhones and not one of them has the corporate data plan.

It has been very vague as to what the corporate data plan does for you, but I think the reason IT people think it's necessary is because with a BlackBerry you get two data plans, or services. BIS (BlackBerry Internet Services) and BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server). If you want to access an Exchange/BlackBerry Enterprise Server you need the BES package from your phone supplier. If you're just going to use regular email (IMAP, POP) on your BlackBerry then you can use the plain BIS data plan.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2008, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by eimeria View Post
Maybe there's an upside to being truthful.
Say it isn't so!

Glad to hear it all worked out for you.

Pair of iPhones

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2008, 12:17 PM

I've been using my personal 1G iPhone with the company's Exchange Server since 2.02 came out. It just works.

Best part was when I asked IT for the server's IP address. They sent me a 10-page document that shows all the steps to connect a Treo or BlackBerry to Exchange. The cover note mentioned a specific person to contact at the HelpDesk *when* I run into problems. I didn't have it in me to let them know that all it took was a domain, user name, password, and server address.

QS

Forum Links
Forum Rules