Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > New Logic

New Logic
subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2013, 02:25 PM

Please don't **** this up like you ****ed up FCP.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2013, 03:10 PM

First verdict: hell no, it ain't ****ed up.

It's awesome, and workflow can be exactly the same as before.

Annoying that my 32-bit plugins are no longer available (izotope won't be making a 64-bit Vinyl, in all probability), but beyond that: wow.

Drummer obviates my need to buy EZdrummer, which would have been next, and I've been wanting the quasi-Melodyne audio pitch editing for ages.

I'll be checking through the new sample libraries and synths, but some more decent woodwinds and orchestral instruments, as per the audio demo on their homepage, are most welcome. The previous ones sucked.

iPad remote is great, too. TouchOSC was a little iffy for me, and failed me on occasion.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2013, 02:50 PM

Have you played with it more? Is the MIDI implementation fixed?

I'm going to get it sooner or later, but I'm busy with stupid shit right now.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2013, 01:20 AM

"Fixed"? What was broken?

There was a sync offset bug I'd see every once in a blue moon (I haven't run any productions with synced drums yet in my testing), but beyond that?

MIDI is ****ing AWESOME. Combined MIDI/audio tracks that you can apply all the new MIDI transformers to (kick-ass arpeggiator, auto-triggers, chord memorizers, transposers, inverters, controller reassigners, and even a fully scriptable transformer plug-in) in real-time for EXTERNAL INSTRUMENTS.

Just made my whole vintage equipment HUGELY more fun. I'm going to spend ages doing hypnotic synth/analog delay stuff that was hitherto only possible in the box or by pre-programming (or by using Ableton). I discovered this yesterday and was all giddy about it. My daughter didn't quite get why I was so bubbly, but she had fun arpeggiating the CZ-101 through the Dynacord DRS...

IMO, these new wrappers on Environment functionality are worth the price of admission on their own.

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2013, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
First verdict: hell no, it ain't ****ed up.

It's awesome, and workflow can be exactly the same as before.

Annoying that my 32-bit plugins are no longer available (izotope won't be making a 64-bit Vinyl, in all probability), but beyond that: wow.

iPad remote is great, too. TouchOSC was a little iffy for me, and failed me on occasion.
Maybe I've misunderstood but I got this from iZotope Support Portal not that I'm in Music inds.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2013, 04:05 AM

Unfortunately, that is misleading.

Vinyl runs at an internal resolution of 64 bits. It is a 32-bit plugin.

It can be run on 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems, but not under 64-bit hosts.

sdfalk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2013, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Please don't **** this up like you ****ed up FCP.
Yeah..you tell em..you....wait..I'm editing a feature with Final Cut X..OH.. you don't no what your talking about..
That's what I MEANT to say

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2013, 04:34 PM

I mean this honestly: good for you.

All I needed from the ****er was for it re-link to a shot after I tweaked it in After Effects. Everything else I could have dealt with. Maybe it does that now, but I didn't have the choice to wait for it to un**** that simple of a workflow.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2013, 05:08 PM

"Fixed"? What was broken?
I didn't use it very extensively, and it was at least two years ago, but I couldn't get it to work at all.

Well, I could get it to work for a little but then it would lock-up. Made no sense to me because GB handled it fine.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2013, 05:26 PM

Let me postulate that your experience in that regard was pretty unique.

The MIDI implementation has been Logic's forté since the Notator days, and it is still widely regarded as king of the hill when it comes to MIDI.

I don't think I've ever seen it "lock up" on anything other than a broken interface or broken driver. I've been using it regularly for over ten years.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2013, 01:49 PM

It's quite possible. Again, I didn't diddle with it much. I do recall Doofy complaining about it though.

stewvox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2013, 02:40 PM

I love LPX. The virtual drummer is a answer to my prayers. Here's my first attempt at working with drummer. It's very flexible, sounds good, and is easy to use. I forgot to mention that this drummer track took about 20 minutes to set up which is pretty amazing. It would have taken me hours to do the old way and wouldn't have turned out as well.

https://soundcloud.com/stewvox/shes-awake-now
( Last edited by stewvox; Jul 27, 2013 at 01:06 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2013, 02:49 PM

Let me postulate that your experience in that regard was pretty unique.

The MIDI implementation has been Logic's forté since the Notator days, and it is still widely regarded as king of the hill when it comes to MIDI.

I don't think I've ever seen it "lock up" on anything other than a broken interface or broken driver. I've been using it regularly for over ten years.

Notator, as in the Atari ST Notator? It goes back that far?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2013, 03:30 PM

Of course!

Lengeling and Adam used to be chief programmers at C-Lab, and when they fell out with that company, their contract allowed them to take their code with them when they left.

They did, and formed Emagic, releasing Notator Logic as their first product.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2013, 03:48 PM

Of course!

Lengeling and Adam used to be chief programmers at C-Lab, and when they fell out with that company, their contract allowed them to take their code with them when they left.

They did, and formed Emagic, releasing Notator Logic as their first product.

Are there remnants of that product in Logic today? If so, that would be a remarkable example of longevity and resilience too!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2013, 04:00 PM

The MIDI engine was completely recoded for Logic 7, IIRC, but the horrific structure of the application up until 8 was released points to basics still having been there at that point.

In short: The whole environment felt like the application was cobbled together over decades, with whatever people who called or wrote in, or talked to the developers at the time, came up with or requested, being added on and expanded upon as required.
There was a huge amount of functionality where somebody obviously went "hey, wouldn't it be great if we could do this?" and the capability was added to wherever it the guy who wrote it was working from, not to where it made sense to a user who didn't explicitly request that particular function.
I mean, Logic has been capable of MIDI things like arpeggiators and the like for DECADES, but they didn't actually put an interface on it until Logic X, which was released two weeks ago!

Which is to say, of course it had an interface, but like with almost everything in Logic up until Logic 8, this is how it worked:

SET UP THE BUILT IN ARPEGGIATOR IN LOGIC PRO

I'm sure that some of the basic structural elements in Logic today date back at least twenty years. Though most code will obviously have been re-written many times over over time.

stewvox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2013, 09:25 PM

My second song using Logic X. I think the virtual drummer is the best feature. It sounds awesome. A few bugs are lurking around but nothing major. In my opinion, the new Logic even sounds better than 9. Here's the track.

https://soundcloud.com/stewvox/royal-ring

Forum Links
Forum Rules