Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Help with odd wireless network issue (slow internet)

Help with odd wireless network issue (slow internet)
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 25, 2008, 04:13 AM

I'm currently at my in-laws' house in Japan, and am trying to use their wireless network. I can connect with my MacBook Pro and it sort of works, but for most pages it is very slow. They take a long time to come up initially, and they often don't finish loading completely. The weird thing is that if I go to the same pages using windows in Parallels, it's very fast. I can't figure out what the problem is.

As a side issue, I've also noticed that I can't send email using Mail (I have to use the .Mac web interface). I also can't get my iPhone to work on the network at all (although it will connect).

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing these symptoms? I use the Internet for my job so I'd really like to get this working at a normal speed. Thanks.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 25, 2008, 04:11 PM

Have you tried different DNS servers?

Open DNS server addresses are:

What type of router is it?

Do you have the latest AirPort updates installed?

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 25, 2008, 04:15 PM

It's a Corega (Japanese brand) router. I put the first DNS server in the network settings and that seems to have solved the slow browsing problem. Thanks! Any idea why this would happen in the first place?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 25, 2008, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
It's a Corega (Japanese brand) router. I put the first DNS server in the network settings and that seems to have solved the slow browsing problem. Thanks! Any idea why this would happen in the first place?
Honestly, not a clue why it would work fine in Windows but not in OS X unless the DNS servers were somehow filtering OS X/Safari traffic, but that seems odd. Glad it's working.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2008, 04:05 AM

This is not the first time I see Macs having trouble with a DNS server while Windows boxes work ok with the same server. I'm guessing certain DNS servers do something that works in Windows but isn't part of the bare specs and hence causes trouble on OS X.

It's a good idea to have OpenDNS addresses at hand for cases like these.

Forum Links
Forum Rules