Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > G4 additional HD

G4 additional HD
hndsmman
Aug 26, 2008, 07:10 PM

I have noticed inside my G4 is the plugs for an additional HD. i tired plugging a 40GB harddrive into it and restarting but it won't start up? All I get is a blue screen. Is this because my processor can't handle 2 HD's?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2008, 09:59 PM

Is the new drive set up as a slave to the original drive? Are they even on the same cable?

It may take some jumper changes on the drive(s) to get things to work properly.

Which drive? Which G4?

hndsmman  (op)
Aug 28, 2008, 05:28 PM

sawtooth. Not sure if it's in the slave or original drive postion

hndsmman  (op)
Aug 28, 2008, 05:29 PM

What is a jumper change?

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2008, 06:47 PM

ATA/IDE hard drives have jumpers (usually located near the power connector) that allow you to control the mode of the drive. Depending on the drive model, the jumper configuration will be different. Most of the time, removing all the jumpers puts the drives in slave mode.

The primary hard drive already in your G4 is already configured as a master on the primary IDE bus. The optical drive is, if I recall, also configured as a master on the secondary IDE bus. This would mean that you would need to have your second hard drive be in slave mode, and attach it to one of the free IDE cable connectors.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 28, 2008, 11:38 PM

My Sawtooth G4 shipped with the HD set to Single mode - also called "Master without Slave". Using this setting speeded up boot time under OS 9.

You should confirm one drive is set to Master and one to Slave, when there are two drives on a bus. At least in the early G4s -- somewhere around the QuickSilvers or MMDs, they started supporting Cable Select.

Forum Links
Forum Rules