Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone speak Vietnamese?

Anyone speak Vietnamese?
placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2010, 11:54 PM

So, this kind of reminds me of a Seinfeld episode. About 5 years ago, I started getting my hair cut at the mall by a Vietnamese woman who is also my neighbor. Her name is spelled Duc. I swore that when she initially introduced herself, she pronounced it like "duck." However, recently at the haircutting place, the other girls pronounced her name as "duke." Now, it's certainly possible that they screw up her name and she doesn't care to correct them. When I talk to her I usually don't say her name directly. But because it's been so long, I don't want to ask her. How is "Duc" pronounced in Vietnamese?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2010, 11:59 PM

Sorry to hijack your thread, but this sign always gave me a chuckle. I wonder how it's pronounced.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2010, 12:23 AM

I had a friend named Fuc Nguyen, and he said it's pronounced "Fook." If I had to guess, I'd say Duc is pronounced like "Duke." Nguyen is pronounced "new-win."
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2010, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I had a friend named Fuc Nguyen, and he said it's pronounced "Fook." If I had to guess, I'd say Duc is pronounced like "Duke." Nguyen is pronounced "new-win."
In English, not in Vietnamese.

In Vietnamese, it’s more like ‘ngwyuhn’ (in the north) or ‘ngwuhn’ (in the south), which is a bit of a tongue twister to an American mouth. But it’s only one syllable, not two. (‘Ng’ as in ‘thing’, not as in ‘finger’—[ŋʷ(j)əˀn], if you want the real thing.)

A bit of Googling tells me that this hairdresser’s name is likely Đức, in which the relevant part is that the vowel is not u, but ư. The little curl on the end makes a big difference.

If it were Ðuc (without the curl), it would be pronounced like ‘duke’, i.e., broadly [ɗuk], whereas with the curl, Ðưc, it would be a bit more like ‘duck’, though not really like ‘duck’.

The vowel written as ư in Vietnamese is one that doesn’t exist in English, and I’d imagine it’s probably quite difficult to hear. According to Wikipedia, it’s usually a backed, lowered [ɨ] (which also doesn’t really exist in English, though it shows up in many dialects as a ‘raised schwa’, like the e in ‘roses’). But depending on the individual speaker, and exactly how much that speaker backs or lowers the vowel, it can almost become either [ɯ] (an unrounded [u]) or [ʊ] (as the vowel in ‘put’). So an English speaker might hear one ‘version’ of the vowel as [ʊ] or even [ʌ], but another ‘version’ as [u].

Clear as mud, eh?

Paco500
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2010, 08:03 AM

I worked with a guy named Fuc (he also pronounced it Fook). He was a wonderful stereotype. I rode in a car he was driving three times and he was in an accident every time. He once sideswiped a cement support in a parking garage, once rear-ended someone at a stoplight and once backed into someone in a parking lot.

Good times.

pooka
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2010, 11:15 AM

I don't speak vietnamese but it reminds me of a recent event. I saw a guy walk up to a vietnamese girl and start speaking faux chinese. Something like "Peeeeeechaaaaaaan weeeeeeeee dooooong"

She punched him in the stomach and I cried so hard a little pee spot formed on my pants. Good times.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
I saw a guy walk up to a vietnamese girl and start speaking faux chinese. Something like "Peeeeeechaaaaaaan weeeeeeeee dooooong"

She punched him in the stomach and I cried so hard a little pee spot formed on my pants. Good times.
Mm-hm. “A guy”, indeed. Busted!

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2010, 11:37 AM

My mother had a doctor whose name was Phuc Nguyen. He went by "Harry." Years later, I happened to be on a rotation in residency with another medical resident who was born and raised in Vietnam. (his last name was Dang... Dr. Dang )

I asked him how Dr. Nguyen's name would be pronounced, and what he said sounded more like "Fope" (rhymes with "dope").

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
I asked him how Dr. Nguyen's name would be pronounced, and what he said sounded more like "Fope" (rhymes with "dope").
When a word ends in a velar consonant (k or ng) and the vowel preceding the k/ng is a u or a diphthong ending in a w sound, the k or ng is articulated bilabially also, i.e., like a k and a p (or an ng and an m) said at the same time. (It’s also preceded by a glottal stop and it ends up being unreleased, but that’s less important)

That’s probably why you thought it sounded more like ‘Fope’—in reality, he probably said [fuk͡p], or more precisely (with the glottal closure and unreleasedness) [fuʔk͡p̚].

pooka
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2010, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Mm-hm. “A guy”, indeed. Busted!
Man, I wish. I'm scared of Asian chicks. But I am fluent in fauxnese

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2010, 12:23 PM

Of course, you could just ask her how to pronounce her name.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Clear as mud, eh?
Once you learn what each of those marks do, I think it's awesome. The spelling of the word tells you exactly how to pronounce it.

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2010, 07:13 PM

Of course, you could just ask her how to pronounce her name.
Well, as I said originally, it's been a long time since she initially introduced herself (5 years). I don't even know if she knows my name.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2010, 08:46 PM

Fuc or Phuc: Fook or Foak (like oak tree)
Duc: Duck

I'm pretty sure of it.
( Last edited by hyteckit; Apr 8, 2010 at 08:53 PM. )
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules