Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 62)
P
Aug 30, 2013, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
So, Aspyr has released the Mac port of Bioshock Infinite, and apparently the results are not stellar.

First, you can't set anything higher than "normal." And you can't set the resolution higher than 800p. And the performance is still much worse than the same machine playing on Bootcamp with higher detail and native res.

Aspyr blames this on Apple's old version of OpenGL, and says they will revisit things when Mavericks comes out, which has many OpenGL improvements.
It must be great to be a Mac porting house - no matter what goes wrong, you can always blame the OpenGL version in OS X because it will always be behind the theoretical spec. ML supports OpenGL version 3.2, and so did (IIRC) Lion. The PS3 supports a subset of OpenGL 2.1 and the 360 some sort of prerelease version of DirectX 10, which is roughly equivalent to OpenGL 3.0. The PC version also requires DirectX 10 (although 11 is recommended). Bioshock Infinite runs fine on all of these systems.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

P
Aug 30, 2013, 10:07 AM

Not sure how interested anyone else is of the hardware details of the new consoles, but MS had a presentation at HotChips, and it has predictably leaked.

* The CPU is mostly as we thought. Two blocks of 4 Jaguar cores, which makes it more like a two-socket computer than a single octocore CPU. MS has tried to compensate by increasing the memory bandwidth between them, but this still has implications because of the caches. When a CPU is working on a block of memory, it has to check that no other CPU has that block in its cache. Depending on how close in memory two cores are working, this can be a tricky process that sends data backwards through the cache system, forcing one core to spend time telling another core whether it has certain data while the first core is waiting. Increasing the latency between the cores means more time spent waiting. To add insult to injury, the CPU cores are limited to only half of the external memory bandwidth and has no access to the eSRAM without asking the GPU for help. This will be a tricky design to wring performance out of.

* The extra "helper processors" are abut half secret audio processing and half video processors that are basically there to enable the PIP video thing, mixing TV with gaming. No help for gaming.

* No specs on exactly how many GPU clusters we actually got, but it is the "Sea Islands" AMD Radeon cores most recently seen in the Radeon 7790. Rumors had it as 12, and I've seen nothing to counter that. Clockspeed is up a few percent.

* The eSRAM is not a cache. It is a special memory segment with high bandwidth and low latency, but it has to be individually managed. It also can't make use of all that bandwidth for smaller requests, so if you planned to put tiny often-used textures in the eSRAM, you have to think again, or accept half the effective bandwidth. Again: can be powerful, but it will be tricky to use.

No presentation from Sony, though, so we can't compare.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2013, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Those men, being on a continent full of "animals which want to kill you" are prolly more manly than those winging about it. Scary, i know.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Those also fall under the category "animals"
Why yes, they do.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2013, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by ****ing Reggie
"I don't think consumers buy hardware just because it's sexy and new,"
Yes, the WiiU demonstrates that admirably.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2013, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Why yes, they do.
So there was no point it saying "Don't forget."

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2013, 11:35 AM

So there was no point it saying "Don't forget."
Just to get a reaction from you mate.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2013, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Just to get a reaction from you mate.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2013, 12:23 PM

Ghost takes control of the Need For Speed brand - Need For Speed Rivals for PS4 News
Swedish studio Ghost Games has been given control over all future titles in the Need For Speed series, studio head Marcus Nilsson has revealed - just a year after Need For Speed: Most Wanted developer Criterion announced that they had taken ownership.
It's hard to give them too much shit for changing their mind as EA is definitely transitioning as they move to new leadership.

Criterion was wasted being pigeonholed on NFS anyway.

"It cannot go from black to white between Black Box and Criterion, and that's why we're now thinking about the brand as Ghost owns it," he said. "We're going to build it, we're going to build it on Frostbite 3, [and] people will see something they are familiar with every time we release the game. And I think that is the core basis of building a brand; that people know what to expect."

"When you go from a Shift experience to The Run experience to a Hot Pursuit experience, then it loses credibility," Nilsson continued. "I think we now have the work of re-establishing that credibility with building the brand. You know, it's still a really strong brand, absolutely. We just need to make sure people know what to expect when they get it, and Rivals is absolutely the first step toward that.
I'm very likely reading way too far into this, but what they were doing wasn't all that different from what Activision does with Call of Duty. Credibility is absolutely the wrong word. I think they mean consistency, and I don't know how the games matched up. I do wonder if they'd like to see a little more consistency in sales from year-to-year too.

The other thing that interests me is either they are going to split into two dev teams with the studio or future titles are going to be getting one year turn arounds.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2013, 02:39 PM

Everyone contain your excitement

Halo Xbox One is “the next chapter”, according to Microsoft Store – rumour | VG247
Although we weren’t able to find the original, according to a screengrab posted by AllGamesBeta, the Microsoft Store had this to say regarding the new Halo game:

“In possession of a mysterious data chip, Petty Officer John-117, aka Master Chief, confronts a new battery of challenges and tests in a Herculean effort to stay alive in a galaxy where sentient life is mercilessly hunted. Pre-order the next chapter in the wildly popular Halo series designed exclusively for Xbox One.”

Nobody has been really sure what the new Halo will be about because 343 Industries has said it’s not Halo 5, although it is a legitimate entry int he story and will expand on the Reclaimer trilogy.

The new game was announced at E3 2013 and is coming to Microsoft’s new console in 2014, and will run at 60 FPS.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2013, 03:32 PM

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 30, 2013, 08:18 PM

It's only been a few months, but apart from eye candy, I'm not convinced that PC gaming is that much better than a console. Jack of all trades, master of none I suppose. Like P says, there's all the shite that goes along with the games on a PC, plus unless you're rich you'll probably use the same PC for surfing, updating your CV, paying the bills etc. OS updates, printer updates, graphics card updates, Java security updates, and of course Windows asking you if you want to run something are getting on my tits.
My main computer is an iMac, it cost me $1000 on eBay. I built my gaming PC for about $600, and that includes the $100 Blu-ray burner that I didn't really need.

P listed the advantages of gaming, too - I got every single GTA game and add-on for $12 on Steam - that alone makes up for the difference in price between PC and console, not to mention getting games that have only been out for a few months for $20-30 rather than $50-60.

Console gaming certainly isn't without its flaws - hardware issues were rampant in this generation (at least in one manufacturer's console), and the PS3 had its issue of software problems, updates bricking consoles, and data hacking. As complicated and multi-functioned as they're making the next generation of consoles, I assume they won't be that much better.

P
Sep 2, 2013, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Console gaming certainly isn't without its flaws - hardware issues were rampant in this generation (at least in one manufacturer's console), and the PS3 had its issue of software problems, updates bricking consoles, and data hacking. As complicated and multi-functioned as they're making the next generation of consoles, I assume they won't be that much better.
This is to me a reason to go Sony this time round. Sony had a much better reliability record last generation, and they're making a simpler console (from what we know today, anyway). MS has a massive chip (out of which a good chunk is memory, which is resistant to defects, and not logic, which is not, but still - 363 mm2 is very big in a business where 300 mm2 is the reasonable upper limit) with an untested design combined with a new Kinect. The PS4 uses off-the-shelf everything and while we don't know the die size, it's going to be somewhere in the 250 mm2 to 300 mm2 range - much more comfortable.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 3, 2013, 10:45 AM

Godus preview: Ambitious, expansive, and “absolutely crazy” | Ars Technica
"What I said this time around was 'I want everything to be simulated—every drop of water and every grain of sand,'" he said as he carefully sculpted the edge of a shoreline ridge with a mouse. "When I'm doing this, I'm changing the tidal pattern, and the tidal pattern affects the wind direction, which affects the weather patterns on the entirety of the planet. So you affect your little strip and that effect has a knock-on effect all down the way."
And the game won't hold your hand and explain this give and take, Molyneux said. "One of the principles of the game—and this is crazy, it is absolutely crazy, I don't know why… well I do know why—we don't tell you anything about this game at all. It's all about discovery. It's all about realizing—It's the old world of choices and consequences."
As if that bit of design wasn't controversial enough, Molyneux also discussed the unique power that one player will have over the entirety of the Godus world. This "God of Gods" will have the power to make weekly decrees that affect the way the entire world works for everyone else playing the game online. These effects can range from the trivial ("I'm just a bit pissed off today, and I want everyone to experience the weather in Edinburgh") to the gameplay-centric ("How much belief you get from fighting?") to the moral ("Would it be right to introduce contraception into the world. What effect will that have on the world?")
Guy talks an amazing game, as always, but his descriptions sounds like the stuff you'd need a super-computer to calculate so thankfully I'm already skeptical, his reputation notwithstanding.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 3, 2013, 01:22 PM

James Bond car!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2013, 06:31 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 4, 2013, 09:10 AM

They are so desperate.

P
Sep 4, 2013, 09:29 AM

This is actually lower than I expected. From the Hot Chips presentation, I was expecting something in the 1.8-1.9 GHz range. Not that I think it will matter.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2013, 09:43 AM

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2013, 12:00 PM

There is a Day One pre order with Forza 5 as the free game download now (in the UK) as well as the FIFA 14 option. Xbox One Day One Edition now bundled with Forza Motorsport 5 - Forza Motorsport 5 for Xbox One News

P
Sep 4, 2013, 02:39 PM

Bad news for Sony:

Far East memory shipments on hold after Hynix explosions | KitGuru

Two plants have exploded in the far east, taking 15% of the world's production of GDDR5 memory with them. Sony needs 8 gigs of those in each PS4.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 4, 2013, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Bad news for Sony:

Far East memory shipments on hold after Hynix explosions | KitGuru

Two plants have exploded in the far east, taking 15% of the world's production of GDDR5 memory with them. Sony needs 8 gigs of those in each PS4.
From what I heard they manufacture for Nvidia, so crisis averted.

P
Sep 4, 2013, 04:06 PM

DRAM chips in general have very inelastic supply - that is, if prices rise, it's hard to produce more of it to compensate. That means that when demand outstrips supply, prices shoot up. The PS4 was always going to be a big driver of higher GDDR5 demand, and suddenly supply drops by 15%. Of course everyone has current customer relationships, and Sony likely has production locked up for the launch, but still - they won't be able to get a chip more than they have already guaranteed. Most likely they secured capacity for a decent percentage of their expected sales, but I'm sure they planned to buy some on the spot market.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 4, 2013, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Of course everyone has current customer relationships, and Sony likely has production locked up for the launch, but still - they won't be able to get a chip more than they have already guaranteed.
Exactly. I'd think they have slightly longer covered. But yeah, 2014 should be interesting. PS4 might be as hard to come by as Trettons delusion of the PS3.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 5, 2013, 12:37 PM

Some ineffective damage control. On the bright side this guy has stepped into the spotlight in the post Don Mattrick void and done well, probably because he isn't a PR man. He's sincere.

Microsoft: Xbox One licensing plan was “a little… ahead” of consumers | Ars Technica

"Absolutely true story, one of my favorite stories," Penello told Ars during a recent interview. "People want to know, 'Why did you do this? What was the impetus to go to an all-digital system?' And everybody remembers this scenario: when we did the original Kinect take-home... and we were testing for different homes, different lighting conditions, the beta take-home had all of the Kinect games available to be played off the hard drive. One of the number one pieces of feedback for the take-home—remember, we were testing facial recognition, voice recognition, lighting, gestures—the number one piece of feedback: 'Why can't all my games be played off my hard drive like this?'"
At its core, that's not a bad reason. But the trade-offs are spectacular.

"One of the things I think happened is it's something that leaked and people had had time to think about all the worst-case scenarios, so by the time we actually confirmed it... all the rumors about it had been leaking out, and people had gone and gotten themselves into a frenzy about it. When we announced it, people didn't hear everything, they just heard the confirmation of the things that they were worried about."
You know, this is what you get for being PR Nazis, and honestly, you deserve every ounce of it. You want to pretend leaks didn't happen to adhere to an arbitrary time line? Prepare to get eaten alive by the imagination of your fanbase. Who, I might add, wasn't mistaken in its pessimism.

n Penello's mind, Microsoft was simply trying to go where the industry is inevitably headed. "The truth is, anybody that's in this industry knows we're moving digital. It's already happened with music, it's happening with movies, your cell phone, your slate, PC gaming is completely digital. So I think our premise was 'Let's go digital, why not?'
Because, unlike their PC brethren, console gamers find a lot value in being able to share or resell games, without restriction.

To some extent, Penello says, he understands when some people say they don't completely trust Microsoft following its reversal on Xbox One licensing. "I think over the last couple of years, we were focused on those new customers coming in, and I think we lost touch a little bit with the core gamers," he said. "My joke internally is our relationship with the core gamer is like your best friend whose phone calls you didn't return until you asked him for $500.' I think it's fair feedback, I think it was a wake up call for the team."
That's a great line.

When pressed, he brought up one example from the coverage of Sony and the PS4 that he found particularly galling. "I only give this as an example because if this was us it would be the biggest news on the planet: no one has seen their box. No one has actually seen the insides of that box, no one has seen a piece of code running on their box. [Dev kits] are not the retail unit. The form factor they've shown—we showed the inside of our box, the inside of our unit back at E3. Everything you're seeing here is running off production code, except for the games that are still running on PC.
No one gives a shit. That's why.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 5, 2013, 06:42 PM

Because, unlike their PC brethren, console gamers find a lot value in being able to share or resell games, without restriction.
I know this has been mentioned before, but if you could get console games like you get PC games on Steam - sales, reduced prices, big-name titles for $20-30 just a few months after launch, etc. - would you really care about the game being locked to your console? Three years after release, Red Dead Redemption dropped below $20 and I picked it up for PS3. Just a couple of months after its release, Borderlands 2 was on Steam for $20. I also grabbed Tomb Raider and Mass Effect 3 at similar prices.

Is it just a price thing? At what price would you be okay with a game locked to your console?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2013, 08:29 PM

Price in general is the biggest factor, IMO, with going digital. There is no way in hell I'm going to pay the same price as retail for a digital copy. Since there is a huge savings for distribution and shelf space, there is no reason for a digital copy to cost the same price. If they really cared about going all digital they would try more aggressively to price the games. Often you can get retail games on sale cheaper. I've bought PS3 games off Amazon that cost less than buying digital. I got Last of Us for $45, Mass Effect for $40 at launch. They want to compare mobile being all digital... well most don't have external storage, and 100% of the mobile market is online, and the average cost for games and apps are less than $10. No one cares about the restrictions if the thing is like $5. Steam has so many sales it's crazy. Why is it they don't see THIS, as the reason that it works for the guys they like to point a comparison too.

P
Sep 6, 2013, 08:19 AM

It should be noted that most PC games are $50 even at launch, so even if you buy then, it's cheaper. There is also a plethora of games inbetween the AAA and indie categories that sell for $30 or $40 at launch - IMO, most of these are better than most AAA on everything except graphics. Recently I have spent something like 60 hours on Crusader Kings 2, a $40 game that I got for $30 (and which was recently in a Humble Bundle - seriously, that is reason enough to game on PC).

I've explained this before, but if Sony (say) wants to sell games digitally, they usually have to charge the same as the boxed version. This is because of the MFN clauses - the only way to fix this is to kill Gamestop (and the only way to do that is to stop trading in games, but maybe we shouldn't go there again). The way around this is what Steam is doing and what Amazon is doing: using time-limited or otherwise limited offers.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2013, 08:43 AM

Not played those 3 or 4 games on your shelf for a while? Goto nearest Console Game store and get a credit towards Grand Borderland Ghosts 2045. I liked being able to trade stuff in. Far Cry 2 was crap - gave it back and got a credit towards something else. Even after the buzz is gone, you can still trade-in games.

Oh and no way MS is going to let a competitor onto Xbox Live offering games cheaply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2013, 10:50 AM

I know this has been mentioned before, but if you could get console games like you get PC games on Steam - sales, reduced prices, big-name titles for $20-30 just a few months after launch, etc. - would you really care about the game being locked to your console? Three years after release, Red Dead Redemption dropped below $20 and I picked it up for PS3. Just a couple of months after its release, Borderlands 2 was on Steam for $20. I also grabbed Tomb Raider and Mass Effect 3 at similar prices.

Is it just a price thing? At what price would you be okay with a game locked to your console?
Oh sure, I'd be open to it. But if that was going to happen, wouldn't MS be screaming it from the rooftops to offset the bad publicity? Face it, not only aren't prices going to go down, there was still ambiguity as to whether next gen was going to go up in price.

I mean, let's look at DLC which has no physical presence and can't be traded in. It doesn't get cheaper fast. Or at all, really. There'll be sales two years down the line that cut 25, 33, maybe 50% off the price. But they're always temporary. And we're talking for games that already have multiple sequels out.

Its not going to happen on console, at least not several years removed from the transition. I also think a big reason PC gets such good deals was that it almost died in the early 2000s and between that and piracy the only way they could sell was to compete, hard. Not so on consoles.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2013, 10:52 AM

Xbox One stock will be available on day one, Microsoft’s Spencer assures | VG247

I feel like this is early damage control, like the polar opposite of Tretton's "You won't find a PS3 on shelves." Wii Us and Xbone54's clogging up the shelves everywhere this holiday season!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2013, 11:27 AM

I mean, let's look at DLC which has no physical presence and can't be traded in. It doesn't get cheaper fast. Or at all, really. There'll be sales two years down the line that cut 25, 33, maybe 50% off the price. But they're always temporary. And we're talking for games that already have multiple sequels out.
I've seen sales of the DLC for the games I buy within 9 months to a year. Assassin's Creed III DLC, Mass Effect III DLC, HALO IV DLC, Sleeping Dogs DLC. But like you said, it only stays on sale for a few days, a week at most.

And your right that DLC is still priced high.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2013, 08:20 PM

Not played those 3 or 4 games on your shelf for a while? Goto nearest Console Game store and get a credit towards Grand Borderland Ghosts 2045. I liked being able to trade stuff in. Far Cry 2 was crap - gave it back and got a credit towards something else. Even after the buzz is gone, you can still trade-in games.

Oh and no way MS is going to let a competitor onto Xbox Live offering games cheaply.
Is (console purchase price) - (trade-in value) > (PC purchase price) ?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2013, 07:46 AM

Is (console purchase price) - (trade-in value) > (PC purchase price) ?
Sometimes. I never followed Steam prices until recently so I couldn't tell you if the AAA games are cheaper on Steam when released. If I bought an Xbox game new (~70€ for BF3, or Borderlands 2 from a physical store for example) and traded it in fast enough, I'd get 35-40€ towards another game. I've also sold games directly to other people and only lost 20€. Amazon prices for new games can be 5-10€ cheaper.

All the games that I bought for the kids (Lego stuff) were 2nd hand. 7 games at less than 30€ each. Dunno if thats possible or not on the PC.

I wonder if Steam Europe gets the same deals as Steam US. Borderlands 2 is 30€ atm. Same as the Xbox price. Borderlands (1) is 15€ for Xbox and 30€ on Steam for PC.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2013, 06:37 PM

I think buying at regular price on Steam won't save a ton, but catching the ridiculous sales is where the real savings it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2013, 06:42 PM

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2013, 03:03 PM

Convenience. Thats why people game on consoles. For the same reason that people use iMacs and Minis and MacBooks. Consoles just work.

Example : bought a game on Steam, downloaded and installed. You need a key for this game, here is the key. Bizarre, WhyTF should I need a key for a game from Steam? And then I need to connect to Windows Live. Why? Luckily one can use the Xbox Live account. Update required, so ****ing update then. Taking ages, taking ages. Alt-Tab and I see the pop-up that tells me the firewall is blocking access that the game wants. And then another asking if I should let Windows Live update itself. And then the bitch reboots.

This is piss poor. This is not user friendly. This is not convenient.

Last ****ing time that I buy a PC to game on. PS4 is on order.

P
Sep 8, 2013, 05:38 PM

That's Games for Windows Live. Fortunately that garbage is apparently dying. Unfortunately there are a lot of those from different manufacturers - Uplay (Ubisoft), Rockstar Social Club, and let's not even get started on Origin. The advantage with the publisher-specific stuff is that they can (and do) use Steam to update it. These days I pick games partially on how much crap I have to put up with. I know that EA games come with a lot of baggage, so I hesitate to buy them - in effect, not buying unless it's Bioware (or dirt cheap). Ubisoft is bad too. Rockstar is...not too bad. Bethesda/ZeniMax is good - even when they use GFWL, they don't require it. Eidos/Squenix is unreliable - the Batman games are probably the worst I've played for the GFWL bullshit. 2K is good. Activision I haven't bought anything from in a while, except Blizzard where I buy it on the Mac.

Supposedly there is always a way to log on locally with GFWL, but they're working hard to get you to be online at all times.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2013, 09:20 PM

This is piss poor. This is not user friendly. This is not convenient.

Last ****ing time that I buy a PC to game on. PS4 is on order.
I rented Goldeneye for PS3 from Redbox. Some friends were over and had to leave in a few minutes, but I figured we could get in a couple games. JUST KIDDING. Before I'm allowed to play, I have to download updates to the game for 30 minutes. Cool.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2013, 06:09 AM

I rented Goldeneye for PS3 from Redbox. Some friends were over and had to leave in a few minutes, but I figured we could get in a couple games. JUST KIDDING. Before I'm allowed to play, I have to download updates to the game for 30 minutes. Cool.
Yeah, that pisses me off as well, but doesn't that happen for PC games too?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2013, 07:02 AM

SCE Japan have shown the PS Vita TV - A Vita in a box to plug into the TV, it plays PS Vita games with a Dual Shock 3 controller, has HDMI, Wifi and card slots for Vita games and memory cards. It will play Vita and PSP games (and PS Network/PS One games), PS4 remote play after a future update. November launch, $100, or $150 with a memory card and a DS3 controller.

I suppose that any Vita games that use the touch screen or back panel will have to get patched to work with a DS3.

PlayStation Vita TV puts Vita games on a TV, out in Japan on Nov. 14 [update: specs] | Joystiq

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2013, 07:06 AM

I don't recall having to install an update after downloading a game from Steam. I'm sure it happens, though.

P
Sep 9, 2013, 07:47 AM

Only time a game has forced me to download more updates when wanting to play is if it used Games for Windows Live. If it uses Steam (or Origin, I assume) for distribution, it will download updates in the background as they become available. I think any game will play while the update is downloading.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2013, 09:11 AM

My, the PS4 controller is large.

SimCIty for sure.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2013, 09:16 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2013, 10:16 AM

wat

Introducing PS Vita...TV
It will allow you to enjoy video and network streaming services on your TV, such as Hulu, DMM.com, Tsutaya TV, and NicoNico Douga. Of course, you can also access the PlayStation Store.
However, as this Sony release notes, not all PS Vita games can be used with PS Vita TV. The reason being is that the PS Vita has an array of command inputs (touch screen, rear touch pad, mic, camera, etc.) that the DualShock 3 does not.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2013, 01:55 AM

I know

There's also a PS Vita 'slim' which will be thinner and cheaper (because the screen isn't OLED), have 1GB memory on board and have colours other than black. Vita memory cards are getting cheaper (again) and there will be a 64GB card (finally!).

New PS Vita is 20 percent thinner with better battery life and new colors | The Verge

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 11, 2013, 12:16 PM

I forgot to mention, I do have a passing interest in it. Mainly because I might get to play a turn based RPG (they're fairly absent on consoles) and because after I jump to PS4 and XBOX Live Gold lapses my bedroom unit will become a useless brick.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 11, 2013, 02:02 PM

So apparently amazon ditched their $1 release day shipping last summer. SO between that and the addition of sales tax I guess I'll pick up GTA V from walmart release day.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2013, 02:47 PM

I must admit I'm tempted as well. Doubt that I'll be able to get a PS4 straight away, and not sure that I want to wait until a PC port.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2013, 03:50 PM

Reminds me of PSone. See MS?, naming convention matters.

Forum Links
Forum Rules