Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 Headphone Port Behavior

G5 Headphone Port Behavior
anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2005, 11:45 PM

Hello, I recently got a Rev. B dual 1.8GHz G5, updated to 10.3.9.

One thing quite odd I noticed is that when I plug in headphones to the front headphone port with speakers plugged into the back, the speakers continue working, as well as the headphones. Is this normal behavior?

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 11:49 PM

I've seen the same with my revA DP2.0

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 01:00 AM

its normal both ports are the same so its like having two headphone ports on a cd player and plugging two sets of headphones in.

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2005, 09:01 PM

This is extremely annoying as I just bought some headphones and expected them to mute the speakers. According to this Apple developer note is is possible to stop this behavior but I don't have the option it refers to (10.4):
Selecting the “Allow Line Out and Digital when headphones are attached” checkbox allows operation of the analog and digital output ports when headphones are attached, enabling monitoring of the optical digital transport.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2005, 06:00 AM

WJ, that note is saying that the digital output mutes the analog output normally. It is not saying that the front analog output can mute the back analog output. In any event, I have to agree that this is not optimal behavior, but I have never used the front port to really care about it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

anamexis  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2005, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
WJ, that note is saying that the digital output mutes the analog output normally. It is not saying that the front analog output can mute the back analog output. In any event, I have to agree that this is not optimal behavior, but I have never used the front port to really care about it.
Big Mac, the particular section that WJ quoted actually does deal with muting the outputs when the headphone (front) port is in use. A bit more of the context:

Originally Posted by Apple
The headphones, rear line-out jack, and S/PDIF output are only muted when selected in the System Preferences. Muting and sound options are set in System Preferences:Sound:Output. Selecting the “Allow Line Out and Digital when headphones are attached” checkbox allows operation of the analog and digital output ports when headphones are attached, enabling monitoring of the optical digital transport.
So, deselecting the "Allow Line Out and Digital when headphones are attached" checkbox would disallow operation of the analog and digital output ports when headphones are attached.
Indeed, it is too bad that this option doesn't seem to exist anymore.
For that matter, has anyone ever seen this option?

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 15, 2005, 03:34 PM

I saw it in Panther, but it didn't work.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules