Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to fix Mac Mail folder order for Gmail?

How to fix Mac Mail folder order for Gmail?
jprint714
Jan 22, 2017, 02:16 AM

Hi,

For some reason, Mac Mail is not sorting my Gmail folders in alphabetical order. I don't have this problem when I open my Gmail account online or in another email client.

I have followed these troubleshooting step:

Preferences -> Accounts. Select the IMAP-based account, then click on the "Advanced" tab and disable the account. Save the settings and close Preferences. Then go back and re-enable the account.

I've also read about troubleshooting suggestions that include: find and delete the ~/Library/Mail/<name of your email account>/.mboxCache.plist file -- but there doesn't appear to a .mboxCache.plist file for Mac Mail in El Capitan.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Olivia1974
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2017, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by jprint714 View Post
Hi,

For some reason, Mac Mail is not sorting my Gmail folders in alphabetical order. I don't have this problem when I open my Gmail account online or in another email client.

I have followed these troubleshooting step:

Preferences -> Accounts. Select the IMAP-based account, then click on the "Advanced" tab and disable the account. Save the settings and close Preferences. Then go back and re-enable the account.

I've also read about troubleshooting suggestions that include: find and delete the ~/Library/Mail/<name of your email account>/.mboxCache.plist file -- but there doesn't appear to a .mboxCache.plist file for Mac Mail in El Capitan.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Hey there!

I had exactly the same issue. Have you tried to rebuild the database? It should help. Go to Mailbox tab and click on Rebuil. If it's grayed out reset the mail settings and try again. Hope this helps.

kiana mckylie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2017, 11:59 AM

Ja, i agree thats a fantastic idea..rebuilding a database should automatically help. Well if it doesn't work, kindly post here again. Would love to know a way out as well

jprint714  (op)
Jan 24, 2017, 12:28 PM

Thanks so much for your suggestion - I appreciate it.

I tried it, but unfortunately it didn't fix it.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules