Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > older mac for my dad

older mac for my dad
heart93
Feb 10, 2001, 04:59 PM

I need some advice and I'm hoping that the people on the board can help me. Last year, I bought a Quadra for my mom. It was her first computer and she mostly wanted it in order to be able to connect to the Internet. It was a pretty good deal, she liked using it, and she has since upgraded to an older G3. While it was a decent machine to get her going, it was a little bit of a headache for me. Namely, it lacked a CD-ROM to make program installations easier, and it did not have the ability to run any power PC programs.
Now my father is starting to show some interest in getting a computer. It would be his first. I would like to help him with this, but don't really want to repeat the same mistakes I made with the last one. What I would like to get it is a machine that has the capability to run 8.6, has a CD-ROM, and can reasonably run newer programs (i. e. newer versions of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, to name a few). Here's the rub. I don't have a whole lot of money to put towards this, and would like to be able to get him going for about $300, which would have to include a monitor and a decent amount of RAM. I could probably stretch that a little bit, but not by much.
What suggestions would people give me as to the best machine to get him going? I would appreciate if you could give me the reasoning for your choices, as well.
I have found this board to be a great place to get advice, and am looking forward to everyone's response.
TIA
heart93

Cipher13
Feb 11, 2001, 07:28 AM

Hm... that won't be easy... could you try for perhaps a Rev. A-D iMac, or even a G3 all-in-one (which are great machines).
A PowerMac 5500 would be ideal to run OS 8.6. Give it 64 RAM and it'll go forever. I have one running 9.04 slowly (it only has 32 RAM, OS9 requires 64, and it has 250 megs of virtual).
So theres my recomendation, but $300 could be pushing it...
BTW, all of the computers I mentioned have built in monitors.

Cipher13

heart93
Feb 11, 2001, 03:23 PM

A rev A iMac was my first thought -I'm just not sure where they price out.
The All-in-One is a great machine. I had one. In fact, that's the computer my mom is now using.
Are there any resellers in particular that you recommend? I'm somewht familiar w/ SmallDog, but not much else.

Cipher13
Feb 12, 2001, 01:52 AM

Sorry, I can't really recommend a dealer unless you live in Australia
And even then I probably couldn't... perhaps eBay? Although I haven't actually used them before...

Cipher13

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2001, 07:16 AM

I would recommend a 6100/66. I ran OS 8.5 on mine (with 72 MB of RAM) for about a year until I upgraded it with a Sonnet G3. I had zero problems running IE 4.5 on it. I don't remember if I ever ran IE 5.0 on it before I put in the G3. One of my friends is running OS 8.6 on a stock 6100/66 with only 40 MB of RAM. She's doing graphic design stuff on it and hasn't had any trouble (other than getting an Epson inkjet connected properly). You should be able to get one of these and a monitor for a good deal less than $300. RAM is a bit pricey for them, though, so look for one that already has a good deal of it installed. I got my first 6100 on eBay, but I bought my second one at a university surplus warehouse. Got a much better deal at the warehouse. Paid $75 for it. A friend got an A/V version of the 6100 for $125 and two monitors for another $100.

heart93
Feb 12, 2001, 08:06 PM

Is the 6100 anything like the 6200? I had a 6200CD that was a complete dog & I wouldn't want to inflict that on my dad as his 1st computer experience.

heart93
Feb 12, 2001, 08:09 PM

WooHoo! I know this is OT, but I just noticed that I was finally promoted. I'm up to 2 stars & am officially a member!
Does that include a raise, or is it just a title?

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2001, 11:44 PM

pay cut, actually. they figure they've got you hooked now.

depends on how much speed you want and if are looking for expandability. but i'd take a look at a 7600. i picked a nice used one for less than $200 for my sis. easy to toss a g3 in there. if you could find a rev.a imac for that price, i'd probably jump at it, but...
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

Cipher13
Feb 13, 2001, 04:45 AM

Hm... I'd avoid the 6200, and the only experience I've had with the 6100 was a 6100 dual machine (DOS and MacOS).
7600 is very good - maybe a 7300/200 if you can find one. Great machines, as tough as they come. External monitor needed.
EDIT: To avoid confusion, the 7300 is the SUCCESSOR, not predecessor to the 7600. Reverse numerical order. Go figure

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 02-13-2001).]

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2001, 10:31 AM

The 6100 has no relationship to the 6200.

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2001, 02:44 PM

My vote goes to a Powerbook 1400. You can pick up a decent one on eBay for around 400 bucks (sorry about the 100 dollars). It's quite upgradable and it really is a nice internet machine. I used one as my primary computer for 2.5 years until I upgraded to a new Powerbook.

heart93
Feb 15, 2001, 07:44 PM

I had actually thought about a portable. i was showing him my iBook & he was pretty impressed. Do you see any substantial differences in benefits or problems of a desktop vs a portable for a newbie?

denim
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2001, 12:36 PM

Standard answer: Depends on what he wants to do.

If he wants to be able to take the computer with him, a portable is the way to go. If he wants to attend LAN parties, ditto. But upgrades for a portable are more expensive (RAM, disks).

A desktop machine is cheaper to buy things for, but both systems would work with the same USB devices so that's not an issue.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

WyvernSpirit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2001, 01:19 PM

A desktop machine is cheaper to buy things for, but both systems would work with the same USB devices so that's not an issue.[/B][/QUOTE]

The 1400 does not have built in USB. In fact in order to get built in USB you will have to get an iMac(any) or better. the rev-a still seems to be around $500 in the states but your experience might vary.

I'd say save up a little longer and get the iMac(any) it is the BEST solution for newbies who also want to be able to use the newest software/hardware.

WyvernSpirit

heart93
Feb 28, 2001, 05:56 PM

The more I've thought about it, the more convinced I am that a 1st generation iMac is the way to go. I figure I would have much better luck w/ compatibility, range of available software, etc. Once again, cost is the limiting factor, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to swing that. My other thought was a biege G3. Any ideas where these are currently pricing out?

Tim Michael [finboy]
Feb 28, 2001, 06:40 PM

MacResQ/Macworks (macresq.com) did have NEW Beige G3 desktops for $699. What a steal!! And minitowers for $799.

Even better, they had (and some other resellers had these too) the G3 All-in-one for about the same price. These have a built-in 15" monitor and SCSI and at least one slot (but 3 I think) and a Zip and a floppy. Monstrous big machines, but all-in-one nonetheless. Looks like a big molar (tooth).

heart93
Feb 28, 2001, 10:45 PM

The AIO is an outstanding machine that I would recommend to anyone. I had mine for over 2 years before my mom got it.

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2001, 09:47 AM

Yep, the AIO has 3 PCI slots.

heart93
Mar 10, 2001, 11:21 AM

I just found out that a local school district is selling all of their Macs.
They have a PowerMac 5260 (100/120 Mhz) for $150 & a PowerMac 5400 (180/200Mhz) for $200. Both machines include monitor, keyboard, & CD-ROM. Is anyone familiar w/ either model and could offer an opinion on whether or not it would meet what I'm looking for? Are they a good deal?

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2001, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by heart93:
I just found out that a local school district is selling all of their Macs.
They have a PowerMac 5260 (100/120 Mhz) for $150 & a PowerMac 5400 (180/200Mhz) for $200. Both machines include monitor, keyboard, & CD-ROM. Is anyone familiar w/ either model and could offer an opinion on whether or not it would meet what I'm looking for? Are they a good deal?
Between the two, I would stay away fromt he 5200 series and go for the 5400. Either one would definitely meet your needs, but the 5400 would be a good bit quicker (speed is relative). Another source to check out for vinatage macs is http://www.poweron.com/1-800-673-6227/computers.htm . They have a great selection of older macs and clones. Currently they have some good deals on Umax machines (which give you a good upgrade path for a G3 processor down the road).
best of luck,
dave

heart93
Mar 11, 2001, 08:14 PM

I was looking at the 5400 after a little more research & although it looks like a good machine, there were 2 other things I hadn't originally considered. They came w/ 24 MB of RAM, so I figure I would need to add 64 MB. The lowest price I can find on that is about $70 shipped (dimms are still expensive). Secondly, I would need to add a modem - $50 - $80, depending on if I could find one used. I'm now looking at $320-350 total. Still a good deal?

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2001, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by heart93:
Still a good deal?
For something in this range (knowing that you need to add memory and modem) , I would go with an entry level iMac which you should be able to find in the $300-$400 range (which would include the modem). You would still need to add memory, but the SoDimm's (memory) that the iMac's use are less expensive than the older 168 pin Dimm's that the older 5400's use. Check on Ebay and post queries on the buy/sell boards ( http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/foru...=20&LastLogin= ) here. You should be able to find what you are looking for. As to the 5400's they were (and still are) great machines, but based on what you are looking to do, might be more of a hassle than what an iMac might provide (by hassle I mean having to buy and install memory - although the first iMacs were a little tough on memory installs, having to buy a modem for the 5400 - when the iMac has one already, making sure to buy the legacy peripherals for the 5400 - serial vs usb ports)...
Again, the 5400 isn't a bad machine, but for the ease of use for your father, I think he would have a better experience with an iMac (the iMacs were explicitly made for newbies :-)
best of luck,
dave

finboy
Mar 12, 2001, 02:33 PM

I agree. If your dad doesn't have an legacy devices (serial port stuff, adb stuff) then a cheapo imac is probably the way to go. I'm into the 5200/6200 series and the 5400 because 1) I got them for almost nothing, and 2) I've got lots of older peripherals that I plan to use for a while (including keyboards, etc.).

heart93
Mar 12, 2001, 06:12 PM

I keep coming to the same conclusion. As this would be my dad's first machine, I think it would be a more rewarding experience for him & less frustrating for me to support if he got an older iMac. Now I'm just waiting to see if the prices drop a little more.

c0rvette
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2001, 11:51 PM

I would purchase a beige g3 233 desktop. It's a good beige g3 that can run osx if he ever wants to, and its easy to upgrade. It should be speedy, and if your father's eye's aren't good, you can put a nice big monitor.
spam, this means nothing

Chito
Senior User
Mar 21, 2001, 11:16 AM

heart....i know you've said you've settled on an older iMac but for the right price would you be interested in a 6100/66 dos compatible? I'll have to set it up to let you know exactly wht the configuration is but i've got keyboard, mouse, and a 13" apple trinitron monitor that'll make it a complete system.....and i'm SURE we can make the price right...i don't want to go through the hassle of trying to sell it on ebay if i can avoid it....
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

heart93
Mar 21, 2001, 10:16 PM

Chito,
I appreciate the offer, but long term I think my Dad & I would both be happier w/ a G3 of some sort, be it an iMac or a beige desktop machine. Thanks again.
heart93

Cipher13
Mar 23, 2001, 08:35 AM

How about a 5500? They're awesome machines.
The 250MHz DE model, comes with 32 megs, modem, all that stuff you'd need.

If not that, I'd have to recommend you get an old slot-loading iMac. The original, low end one. You can get those real cheap - I think that'd be your best bet unless you can get a G3 AIO. Although, the iMac would still be preferable to the AIO IMO...

Cipher13

iJeremy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2001, 09:53 PM

Hey all

Cipher13 u said u can find a cheap dealer in australia "Sorry, I can't really recommend a dealer unless you live in Australia". What state is this in? And is it cheaper that the apple education shop???

Thanks
Jeremy

Cipher13
Apr 1, 2001, 06:43 AM

It depends on what you're after
What did you have in mind?
Its New South Wales, greater Sydney area.

------------------

iSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2001, 09:49 AM

http://www.applebits.bigstep.com/ http://www.newwavesystems.com.au/

are two places you can get good second hand systems in Melbourne, Australia. I picked up a second hand 7200/120 with 15" Multi-Scan for my daughter for $400. Still a good machine the 7200.

iJeremy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2001, 05:46 AM

I really dunno what to do. Cause I wanna get a Imac (500 with cd-rw) which costs 2200 bux (education price) but 2 factors stop me from buying it:
1. Upgradability
2. OS - what if i don't like it?
Can anyone help me out, I really don't want to spend over 2200 (Australia) bux for a computer but it must be upgradable.

Thanks all
Jeremy

Forum Links
Forum Rules