Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Question about G4 upgrade

Question about G4 upgrade
skilled2k1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2005, 06:10 PM

Ive been looking to upgrade my QS867 with a Dual 1.8ghz upgrade from either Giga-designs or Powerlogix. Im leaning towards the Gigadesigns simply becuase of the lower price and a few memebers here have them. But I noticed something about the Powerlogix upgrade:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/PowerLogix/PF47D1800DQ/

Does anyone know why the heatsink on their dual1.8 is so much smaller and uses only one fan compared to Giga's larger dual fan heatsink?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 17, 2005, 06:55 PM

Just a design trade off.

The Giga uses two much smaller fans and a copper heatsink, which I prefer. The PL uses one large fan and an aluminum heatsink. Noise should be comparable, but copper is much better at heat dissipation than aluminum is.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Biggerfoot
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2005, 11:24 PM

I noticed that in the instructions that came with my 2.0 single upgrade, that the dual PowerLogix upgrades also have a smaller fan that goes where the stock QuickSilver fan goes (you remove the fan that is attached to the case when upgrading).

Forum Links
Forum Rules