Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Ripping DVD to divx (for personal use)

Ripping DVD to divx (for personal use)
Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2002, 05:23 PM

I like The Big Lebowski. I like it so much that I would like to have a copy of it with me every where I go on my TiBook. Some would say "since you own the DVD, why not just take that every where too?" I've tried that, and I would rather just have a divx of it on my hard drive.

I downloaded MacDivXCreator, but it looks complicated. Has anyone tried this before? I'm a quick study, but starting out with a few pointers would be even more helpful.

Thanks,
C

Carl Norum
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2002, 06:46 PM

People around here use OSeX (I think - I have never done it myself. I don't watch many movies).

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2002, 08:03 AM

Well, now you have to tell us how well OSeX worked...

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2002, 09:17 AM

here's the best way i have found.

1. use 0SEx to save the .VOB (mpeg2) files to your hard drive.

2. You can then view them using VLC (VideoLan Client), but i have had audio problems when doing that, so....

3. I used a52decX to extract the AC3 audio out to an aiff file, then...

4. I used the MM2C (MacMpeg2Converter) to save the .VOB files as .mov files, then....

5. Combine the aiff's and mov's in QT6 Pro, and save a new file. Some times the file sizes get pretty big, so you might want to save them to a lower quality QT, or use something like Cleaner to convert them to mpeg. (here's a tip, if you have toast titanium, you can use the VCD setting to convert damn near any type of mov to mpeg)

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2002, 10:03 AM

My method is similar to above, but I have the MPEG2 component for QT6, so that simplifies things. I've been exporting some of my fave clips in MPEG4, since I've never gotten divx/3ivx to work very well.

Oh, I use mAC3dec to extract audio from AC3 files. Seems to work quite well.

Good luck...

--Josh

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2002, 10:25 AM

I have the Mpeg2 compenent for QT also, but I have never been able to get it to play .VOB files correctly. It only seems to recognize the first few seconds.

how well does yours work?

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2002, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by codywalton:
I have the Mpeg2 compenent for QT also, but I have never been able to get it to play .VOB files correctly. It only seems to recognize the first few seconds.

how well does yours work?
Just fine, actually. QT6 will play .vob and .m2v files just fine, although I won't get any sound from .vobs with ac3 sound...I wish they'd add support for that in Quicktime. Works on my Ti400 and Beige G3/300 w/ a Nexus 128.

I'm using OsEx 0.0101a5 to rip...

--Josh

BigMac2
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2002, 04:08 PM

FFmpeg can compress .VOB without any demultiplexing...

BTW OSeX 0.0110a1 is a must have..

Borborygmi
Sep 6, 2002, 11:23 PM

1) Rip the DVD with OSEx

2) Compress it with ffmpeg

3) Doctor it with the latest DivX 5 release

4) Watch it whenever you want

Here's the settings I used for Raising Arizona:

ffmpeg -y -i 'input' -s 640x352 -hq -4mv -qscale 5 -acodec mp3 -ab 128 -vcodec mpeg4 'output'

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2002, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by BigMac2:
FFmpeg can compress .VOB without any demultiplexing...

BTW OSeX 0.0110a1 is a must have..
Oooh! New 0SEx! That's pretty cool. Looks about like the old version...hopefully it's more stable. Thanks for the heads-up...

--J

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2002, 02:12 PM

Can anyone direct us to a link with a good tutorial on dvd ripping? Preferaly one which uses the forementioned apps.
Please?
Me
Dual 2.6GHz Intel Xeon | 23" Apple Cinema Display | 13" MacBook | 15" AluBook 1.67 GHz | 1.42 GHz Mac mini | 50" NEC Plasma | Tiger | 80GB iPod Video | 60GB iPod photo | 4GB iPod mini | 1GB iPod shuffle | 4GB iPod nano

Ozmodiar  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2002, 05:00 PM

From just the little experimenting I've done so far, it looks like using OSEx and then encoding it with MacDivXCreator is an easy way to get the video, but I have no idea how to sync the audio with it (I'm not that far along, so maybe there is something in MacDivXCreator that I'm missing).

Also, I only have a little over 5 gigs available on my hard drive. How much does it take during the whole process?

Thanks for the tips, btw.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2002, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
From just the little experimenting I've done so far, it looks like using OSEx and then encoding it with MacDivXCreator is an easy way to get the video, but I have no idea how to sync the audio with it (I'm not that far along, so maybe there is something in MacDivXCreator that I'm missing).

Also, I only have a little over 5 gigs available on my hard drive. How much does it take during the whole process?

Thanks for the tips, btw.
That depends on the Movie itself. Just ripped Training Day, which took 5,75 GB for the movie itself. Other Films only take three or four GB. The size of the DivX depends on the settings. I will do a how-to later today, using osex, macDivX creator, divx doctot II. It's real easy.

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2002, 12:55 PM

Real easy is good news. I am able to do it on a PC. I found it rather easy and fun. But, I just sold the peice of crap so now I'd like to be able to do it for my new laptop.
So if you could post a how-to later, that sure would be great.
Thanks
Me
Dual 2.6GHz Intel Xeon | 23" Apple Cinema Display | 13" MacBook | 15" AluBook 1.67 GHz | 1.42 GHz Mac mini | 50" NEC Plasma | Tiger | 80GB iPod Video | 60GB iPod photo | 4GB iPod mini | 1GB iPod shuffle | 4GB iPod nano

pilauh
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2002, 01:07 PM

you guys just rock... !

late 2001 iBook (combo drive)
384MB, 20GB
OS X 10.2.4
Harman/Kardon SoundSticks

El Pre$idente
Banned
Sep 8, 2002, 03:03 PM

Apple Script to automate the whole process anyone? (Please tell us which apps we should have installed).

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2002, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by El Pre$idente:
Apple Script to automate the whole process anyone? (Please tell us which apps we should have installed).
Thank you. That is the rationalisation I needed to learn Applescript studio Excuse me, I have work to do...

--Josh

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2002, 05:38 PM

I like The Big Lebowski. I like it so much that I would like to have a copy of it with me every where I go on my TiBook. Some would say "since you own the DVD, why not just take that every where too?" I've tried that, and I would rather just have a divx of it on my hard drive.
Kudos on your choice of film. I always watch that when I need cheering up. It never fails...

BigMac2
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2002, 11:22 PM

I made many test last week with DVD ripping, and I made some observation.

First, ffmpegx and MacDVD2Divx use the same ffmpeg encoder, but ffmpegx use a much newer build of ffmpeg that support cropping before scaling, but I got some artefacts when combining cropping and deinterlacing option.

The motion estimation feature can offert better image quality in CBR or better compression in VBR mode, but it's not always worth to spend 4 time the compression time between epzs and full mode.

I don't know why but if I use B-Frames or 4 motion vectors option I always got bad artefacts.

It's very hard to get audio sync over long clip (+5min) and I don't know yet if the problemes come from the Demux/Remux of OSeX or ffmpeg unability to lock ac3 stream with the mpeg track. I will made some test with DVDBackup.

If you have the Quicktime MPEG2 decoder. You can demux VOB file and convert the AC3 stream into AIFF file and if the aiff file got the same filename and the same directory of the demux MPEG2 file, the QuicktimePlayer will play the video with the sound. Apple have also lock some feature while playing MPEG2 video, like copy-paste video stream.

Don't use DIVX Doctor to fixe avi with mp3 audio, you should use DivX Validator that come with the official DIVX5 codec for MacOS. The validator only change the signature of the audio stream to be directly decode by the DivX5 codec that way fixed avi's still can play on PeeCee.

I some DVD appear to got wierd frame rates. And I unable to compress it right. You can try your self with the Enya video that come on the second disc of LotR. It start at 29.97fps but later on it appear to play at 23.97fps.

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2002, 11:52 PM

Hey andreas_g4
Any word on the how-to? I dont mean to sound pushy becuase it would be out of the kindness of your heart, but I check this forum about every 15 minutes hoping you've gotten around to it. I've read a ton of stuf at 3vix.com but its all to confusing for me. Just, when you get the chance can you point us in the right direction?

Thanks so much!
Me

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2002, 04:00 PM

OK, I ripped South Park as an exercise. It's about 80 minutes long. Here's what I did...

Used 0sEx to rip the whole movie to two files: m2v and ac3.

Used MAC3dec do transcode the audio to VBR MP3. This took about 3 1/2 hours on my G3/300.

I used Quicktime Pro 6 w/ MPEG2 component to transcode to MPEG4 @ 600 Kbps, half sized (360x202). This took about 5 1/2 hours on same computer. Note they were not running at the same time.

Opened mp3 file in QT6, copied, and added scaled to the MP4 movie. Saved as self contained. When done, the resulting movie was ~450 meg. It looks quite good, so I know I can go lower on the bitrates. Runs at full fps @ full screen on my Beige G3 w/ Nexus 128. Pretty cool.

Now I'll see about automating it...

--Josh

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2002, 04:06 PM

Gene Jockey

Automating it would be great!
What kind of settings did you use in the apps you mentioned?
Thanks
Me

BigMac2
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2002, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by Gene Jockey:
OK, I ripped South Park as an exercise. It's about 80 minutes long. Here's what I did...

Used MAC3dec do transcode the audio to VBR MP3. This took about 3 1/2 hours on my G3/300.

I used Quicktime Pro 6 w/ MPEG2 component to transcode to MPEG4 @ 600 Kbps, half sized (360x202). This took about 5 1/2 hours on same computer. Note they were not running at the same time.

Opened mp3 file in QT6, copied, and added scaled to the MP4 movie. Saved as self contained. When done, the resulting movie was ~450 meg. It looks quite good, so I know I can go lower on the bitrates. Runs at full fps @ full screen on my Beige G3 w/ Nexus 128. Pretty cool.

Now I'll see about automating it...

--Josh
With my trick to export the AC3 stream into a AIFF file, you can encode MPEG4 and AAC sound with Quicktime, this is really straight forward. But the problemes is MP4 need more CPU to play than DIVX, for almost the same quality and more important, MP4 is not free like DIVX soo, the distribution will be always limited.

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2002, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by BigMac2:

With my trick to export the AC3 stream into a AIFF file, you can encode MPEG4 and AAC sound with Quicktime, this is really straight forward. But the problemes is MP4 need more CPU to play than DIVX, for almost the same quality and more important, MP4 is not free like DIVX soo, the distribution will be always limited.
Indeed, I have done that (AIFF -> AAC) on past rips from DVDs. This was just to try another way. My MP4 movie seems to play fine on my computer (Beige G3/300), and I'm not sharing this with anyone, so I don't mind if MP4 isn't widespread. I understand the benefits of DivX, I just wanted to see how well Apple's MPEG4 would work in tersm of quality and file size. There's more than one way to get from point A to point B, this was just the way I happened to take this time.

Oh, and fetopher, I used 600 kbps @ 360x202 MPEG4 for video, and VBR mp3 (160-320) Quality 0 in mAC3dec for the audio.

Mayhap I'll try again w/ AAC and compare...

--Josh

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2002, 10:20 PM

I'm having quite a bit of trouble getting this whole thing to work. I have figured out that 0Sex is the app that actually brings the video and audio off of the DVD and onto my hard drive. I can get it in many ways; as one .vob or as an .ac3 and .m2v files. At this point, I dont know what to do with it. How do I get from here to there? I am usually pretty good with this stuff, but not this time. I figured out how to do this on my old PC, but I sold it so I really need to be able to do it with my mac. Since all of you folks can do it, can you tell me how you did? I just want a simple tutorial that explains what to do, or what options there are. Also, how to fix things like sound being out of sync. Can someone please post this, or a link to such a tutorial?

Thanks so much.
Me

VEGAN
Senior User
Sep 12, 2002, 10:38 AM

After you get a VOB file on your hard drive, simply use ffmpegX to make an .avi file.

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2002, 10:04 PM

Ok, I used ffmpegx to get the .avi. The video is choppy and the sound isnt there at all. Now what?

Thanks?
Me

JellyBeen
Senior User
Sep 13, 2002, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by fetopher:
Ok, I used ffmpegx to get the .avi. The video is choppy and the sound isnt there at all. Now what?

Thanks?
Use VLC ..get it on Version Tracker..
VLC will play your file with the sound....But the audio is outa sinc for me...I don't know what I'm doing wrong either..
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2002, 01:01 AM

Alright I used Divx Validator to get the sound working. But, the sound is way out of sync. I mean like a minute or two out of sync. Maybe someone can let us know how to fix it. Also... I found a good tutorial, if anyone is interested. Its at http://homepage.mac.com/dvdriptutorial/apps.html
Me

Borborygmi
Sep 13, 2002, 03:02 AM

How did you make this DivX movie that the audio is so out of sync?

I rip DVD's with OSex and then use ffmpeg to encode the audio and video directly... no sync problems whatsoever

I'm using PAL format DVD's (25 fps)... I seem to recall their being an issue with NTSC DVD's (29.97fps???)

Try searching the forum for 'ffmpeg' and see what you find. I'll write more if I find it in the meantime.

JellyBeen
Senior User
Sep 13, 2002, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by Borborygmi:
How did you make this DivX movie that the audio is so out of sync?

I rip DVD's with OSex and then use ffmpeg to encode the audio and video directly... no sync problems whatsoever

I'm using PAL format DVD's (25 fps)... I seem to recall their being an issue with NTSC DVD's (29.97fps???)

Try searching the forum for 'ffmpeg' and see what you find. I'll write more if I find it in the meantime.
Well, that could explain it...I've been using the NTSC setting , not the PAL setting. Thanks for the heads up.
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2002, 11:19 AM

But what if the movie is NTSC? I can just tell ffmpeg to encode it as PAL???

Seems like that would screw it up more.
Me

BigMac2
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2002, 01:11 PM

The Pal ou NTSC only change the aspect ratio and the frame rate in the digital world, and most of the film on DVD are encoded in 23.97 fps and it's the DVD Player it self who do the telecine work for NTSC or PAL/SECAM output.

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2002, 01:29 PM

So even though 0SeX recognizes the DVD as NTSC, I can just tell ffmpegx to encode it as PAL? Or, should I go with the NTSC FILM (23.97 fps)? Would this have anything to do with my sound syncing problem?

Thanks
Me

BigMac2
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2002, 02:23 AM

The PAL setting in the ffmpegx is only for the Output (aspect ratio). For the lipsync problemes you should use the same FPS as the source, so it can be 25fps or 23.97fps if it come from a film source... But I get some trouble with some DVD's like the Enya videoclip from Lord of the ring DVD who appear to be a 29.97FPS but later switch to 23.97fps

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2002, 02:20 PM

So what is the difference between film and not film? Are not all mahor motion pictures considered film? 0sex thought the movie I am trying was NTSC (29.97 fps). In ffpmegx, i used NTSC (29.97 fps). Still serious sync problems. Is this something Quiktime Pro would fix? I could 0sex it as m2v and ac3 files then ffmpegx them seperately, then put them together in Quicktime Pro right? Or am I way off?

btw, thanks for all the help
Me

BigMac2
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2002, 02:59 PM

First, the difference between a DVD produce from a film source and one from a TV show, it's the film one is not interlaced and run at 23.97, not 29.97 like the NTSC standart. It's the DVD Player it self who convert the 23.97 progressive into 29.97 interlace with a process called Telecine. There what it look converting 4 frame 23.97 progressiv into 29.97 interlace:

you can get more information about the telecine pulldown here

Now for the encoding, is important with ffmpeg to select the exact FPS rate of the source. and with lates OSeX you can output the extraction into a VOB (Video and Audio muxed stream) so you don't need to use Quicktime Player to put back the sound track before encoding.

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2002, 06:11 PM

I downloaded MacDivXCreator, but it looks complicated. Has anyone tried this before? I'm a quick study, but starting out with a few pointers would be even more helpful.
Donny, you're out of your element.
-Walter

Ozmodiar  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2002, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by MrBS:

Donny, you're out of your element.
-Walter
Thank you for your helpful and insightful input to this discussion.

voodoosand
Sep 16, 2002, 03:38 AM

I am trying to do this exact same thing - copying Big Lebowski, but I want to record it onto a DVD. The link above to Shepard's(?) DVD ripping tutorial is not very helpful in terms of instructions (very vague). Basically, does anyone know how to take DVD's that are larger than 4.7 GB and just get rid of the extra crap (such as backwards Albanian subtitles - no offense to the Albanians out there) to make them fit onto a blank DVD? Also, when I use ffMpeg, the resulting .mov file seems to be slighlty sped up (people move just unnaturally quick) - is this because I am using an NTSC DVD? Arrrrgggg... this is frustrating. I even tried with the exact Simpsons DVD that the above-mentioned tutorial uses, and couldn't get it to work because the current version of mediapipe gives me "LazyProgrammer" errors when I try to add the preview pipe. Ugh.

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2002, 06:19 AM

Thank you for your helpful and insightful input to this discussion.

You are entering a world of pain.
-Walter

BigMac2
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2002, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by voodoosand:
I am trying to do this exact same thing - copying Big Lebowski, but I want to record it onto a DVD. The link above to Shepard's(?) DVD ripping tutorial is not very helpful in terms of instructions (very vague). Basically, does anyone know how to take DVD's that are larger than 4.7 GB and just get rid of the extra crap (such as backwards Albanian subtitles - no offense to the Albanians out there) to make them fit onto a blank DVD? Also, when I use ffMpeg, the resulting .mov file seems to be slighlty sped up (people move just unnaturally quick) - is this because I am using an NTSC DVD? Arrrrgggg... this is frustrating. I even tried with the exact Simpsons DVD that the above-mentioned tutorial uses, and couldn't get it to work because the current version of mediapipe gives me "LazyProgrammer" errors when I try to add the preview pipe. Ugh.
Read my post above about Telecine

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2002, 04:27 PM

to rip larger than 4.7gb dvds, there are 2 otions:

1. rip onto two dvds
http://homepage.mac.com/jsouthby/dvdrip.htm

2. encode at a lower bitrate, by using mediapipe, or try this:
http://web.archive.org/web/200103051...faq/index.html
same file, but downloadable
http://195.134.134.27/downloads/macd...torial_251.bin

(there are other dvd ripping tutorials out there, that maybe better than these)

edit: a few more links, from dvd backup 1.2 readme:

RipDifferent http://www.macdvd.org/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

Mac DVD Resource http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/index.html

Doom9
http://www.doom9.org

good luck

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2002, 12:48 AM

Alright, using MM2C, I am able to encode to MPEG-4 format. How can I encode to 3ivx or divx? In the list of formats (under the quiktime button) to save it in (MM2C) 3ivx is missing. Do I have to place a certain file in a certain location for it to find it? The same thing happens with Mediapipe. When I do the quicktime encoder, a ton of options are listed, but no 3ivx.
Any ideas?
Me

voodoosand
Sep 17, 2002, 02:10 AM

Thanks Chris P, that was the kind of information I was looking for - and by the way, very nice site - that is some great work.
Which Bush is in office right now?

BigMac2
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2002, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by fetopher:
Alright, using MM2C, I am able to encode to MPEG-4 format. How can I encode to 3ivx or divx? In the list of formats (under the quiktime button) to save it in (MM2C) 3ivx is missing. Do I have to place a certain file in a certain location for it to find it? The same thing happens with Mediapipe. When I do the quicktime encoder, a ton of options are listed, but no 3ivx.
Any ideas?
MM2C use Quicktime codec, and there is no DIVX or 3ivx compressor for Quicktime right now...

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2002, 07:19 PM

Ultimate page of DVD Ripping software

Best I have ever found.

Here's another one how to type stuff
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Sep 18, 2002, 12:43 AM

there is mose certainly a 3ivx quicktime encoder. go to www.3ivx.com/download and get it. It is a very easy download and install.

to encode in divx, you can search for MacDivxCreator or ffmpegX on versiontracker, or use the MSMPEG4v3 or OpenDivx pipes included in MediaPipe 0.8.7
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2002, 02:20 AM

I've gotten this error every time I try to encode a DVD with mm2c. It doesnt happen until the encoding is all done. It says something like it cant put the media into the tracj. A picture of it is here . Any ideas? I'm gorwing very frustrated with this whole thing. Its leaving me wondering why someone doesnt make an app for OS X that makes ripping as easy as on my old PC i just sold. Anyway, just let me know if you know what is going on.

THanks
Me

BobVB
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2002, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by Gene Jockey:

--Josh
OK Josh, I'm with you to here. I have Quicktime Pro with the MPEG2 extension and I get a:

"Can not open file xxx because it is not a file that Quicktime understands."

Is there something special you have to tell OSeX to get a properly formatted file? Heck, I'm even using a South Park disc! Is my OS X 10.2 Quicktime install defective in someway?

Forum Links
Forum Rules