Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Ethernet-Airport bridge

Ethernet-Airport bridge
BigMac2
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2003, 11:50 PM

I've got a iBook with airport and I want to use it like a ethernet wireless brigde to connect other computer to my home network. I already have a router and the wireless access point, and i'm already on a private network so I don't need and don't want to run thru a second NAT. So I wan't to know if there is any possibility with IPFW to only foward packet from the Aiport adaptor to the ethernet without going thru a NAT and passing all the ARP correctly.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2003, 02:09 PM

Sorry... I read this over in Periphs too, and still I don't understand exactly what you're trying to do. If you have an AP and router, why can't you just connect through them?

BigMac2  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2003, 05:57 PM

i'm trying to made a wireless bridge between 2 ethernet network

John Strung
Senior User
Feb 24, 2003, 08:36 PM

The LinkSys WET-11 will work to bridge a wireless network and a wired network. However it does not support Appletalk. As long as all you need to bridge is TCP/IP, it should do what you want.

BigMac2  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2003, 09:00 PM

John,
I see that have'nt explain my need clearly. I already got a local network with 3 Macs, SMC router, Linksys WAP11 acces point, Epson 850 ethernet and Asante Ethernet-Appletalk bridge. What I want is using my iBook to connect my friends computer thru wireless when i'm doing a lanparty at home. So I can't run thru the apple internet sharing feature. I know there is a way to doing this with rules on IPFW.

John Strung
Senior User
Feb 26, 2003, 10:25 AM

Don't know how you would do that. Why not just plug the friend's computer into one of the wired ports of the SMC?

BigMac2  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2003, 03:24 PM

Because they are not in the same house ;-)

skooz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2003, 08:23 PM

I have an airport (extreme) connected to a hub. Also connected to that ethernet hub are two xp machines.

I have an imac and tibook that connect via 802.11b.

I have an 80 gig firewire drive off the imac that I would like to use as a central server for files / backup.

I don't speak techspeak so well, but it sounded like you two have figured out how to bridge my ethernet lan and my wireless lan. Is that true? If so, will I also be able to print from my xp machines to the printer usb'd to the airport base station?

THANKS a GAJILLION if you can tell me how to do this ! ! ! ! ! !
good better best,
never let it rest,
until your good is better
and your better . . .just a sec, got to watch a show.

kampl
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2003, 02:35 AM

Sounds like you want to connect your friend's wired computer through your iBook onto the wireless LAN. Just use routed and set the friend's computer's zero route to the address of the iBook's en0 address. This making your iBook into the router to the segment the game is happening on. You will need a route set to your friend's segment on whatever the default router for everyone else is so that traffic can get back to him through the iBook. Is your game's protocol not routeable?

BigMac2  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2003, 07:33 PM

I want to interconnect 2 wired network throught a Wireless link, and I dont want to put a NAT between those 2 network... Actually my question is pretty simple:

How do you diver any communication from any adaptor to any other adaptor

Forum Links
Forum Rules