Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" AlBook Graphics card issues

12" AlBook Graphics card issues
DietProZac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2003, 04:50 PM

I just got me new 12" AlBook yesterday and it is tiiiiihhght. But it won't run some games like Black & White. It will start the game and I'll hear the music, but the screen is blank (backlight is on, but it's a black screen). Could this be a problem with the new GeForce video card? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2003, 06:21 PM

It's not a problem with your video card. Have you updated to 10.2.4 yet?

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2003, 12:14 PM

I can remember something with the color resolution not being able to go less than 256 colors (i.e. not b/w). Depending on the app it may want to change to an unsupported resolution.

This 'limitation' has been here for many years.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2003, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by 2far:
I can remember something with the color resolution not being able to go less than 256 colors (i.e. not b/w). Depending on the app it may want to change to an unsupported resolution.

This 'limitation' has been here for many years.
2far, Dietprozac is referring to a relatively new game called "Black & White", not the resolution or color depth.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2003, 01:19 PM

I'd do a couple of things first...update to 10.2.4 in OS X if you haven't already, then update to latest version of the game (http://www.versiontracker.com) if they've released a patch for it.

If that still leaves you looking at a blank screen, then try to start the game in some sort of safe mode (if available) and adjust to a lower resolution/color depth. Also, change your desktop setting to 16-bit color to release some strain on the video card, and you may wanna set the resolution to a below-native-resolution in an attempt to see if the graphics card simply cannot handle running the game at such a high resolution/color depth.

Good luck!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

roders
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2003, 02:58 PM

This is an issue with the latest version of Quicktime, get the latest patch for B&W, and everything will be fine.
BTW, please tells us how the game play's and looks on your new Alu Book.
Remember, Patch before U play!!!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2003, 07:32 PM

The latest patch fixed the problem on my TiBook.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Forum Links
Forum Rules